Art

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

When I was in high school, one of the new teachers donated all his old AD&D books to our games club. At that point, I played a hella lot of Dune: the board game, Risk, and chess to even really think too much about D&D. D&D only became a very strong passion in college for me. Yet, I've played the game, on and off, since i was 9. Never really thought about how I've seemed to play the game intently for a couple of years. then give up on it for a few, then pick it back up with a vengeance, and then leave it, etc...
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

I don't even know why I'm posting. I never post.

But yo.

Most of these are pretty old, because I hate everything I do and it's always unfinished. But I am a senior Illustration major at MIAD, and I'm gonna be working on my thesis this semester.

I'm not that good, but I like to do concept art and fantasy art. I'm pretty good friends with my instructor, John Matson, some of you may know from card games like Magic or Game of Thrones and board games like Arkham Horror.

Note to self: need to stop painting people with sashes...
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Artless wrote:But I am a senior Illustration major at MIAD, and I'm gonna be working on my thesis this semester.
My sister-in-law and her husband went there. Cool.

BTW, I really like those sketches.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

ETortoise wrote:@Avoraciopoctules: Here's what I've done so far. I'm in the middle of hunting for a new roommate so this is probably as much as I can do before your next session. I can give you a larger size version if you want.
Thanks, this should be handy. I'd have posted sooner, but I wanted to get an image of a letter handout I used in a game a while ago up, and that involved wrangling with a new digital camera and the software included with it until I had a usable file.
By taking a stock parchment image, applying some graphical tweaks, and then setting it as the background in Word, you can write out something you can print out and give to players to represent papers that their PCs find. Some graphical embellishments beyond the paper background can be added by attaching new images and using the drawing tools included in the program. In this case, I put a seal from the sender on the base of the letter.

After you print out the letter, you can tear off the white paper around the edges, crumple it a bit, and maybe add some water stains if you want the letter the PCs find to be in poor condition. The opposite side is still white, but I generally find that pasting another sheet on is too much work.

If someone wants me to make one of these for their game, I'd be willing to. Probably could upload the Word file or just take a jpeg and put that in an sblock.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

A few pieces I did ages ago for Dungeon Crusade (worksafe):
Assault Tier:
Siege Tier:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Koumei wrote:A few pieces I did ages ago for Dungeon Crusade (worksafe):
Assault Tier:
Siege Tier:
That is an awesome Dragon
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm not even sure what size category that would be. But I was quite pleased with it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And just because I can, another worksafe piece - the Mummy in my Touhous D&D game:
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Hahaha, that's awesome. It's not as worksafe as you mentioned though. When I did have a job, I've gotten bitched out for less.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well you should be fired anyway, for spending your work hours chatting about roleplaying games!
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Really, they were okay with non-office related browsing. It was a fairly relaxed environment except for the odd anachronistic behavior here and there.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Koumei wrote:And just because I can, another worksafe piece - the Mummy in my Touhous D&D game:
I think that's your best one I've seen. I appreciate the labelling.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Good stuff, Artless.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Sarandosil
Apprentice

Post by Sarandosil »

I've been sketching the art in the Pathfinder Bestiary for practice with some moderate success. Drawing straight from imagination is deep mystical juju to me.

anyway I'm rescinding the offer for mapping, since I don't have a computer that can run photoshop these days.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Thought I'd bump this with some character art that my wife did for a (now dead) Tome game.

Assassin 1:
Assassin 2:
Tiefling fire mage (He always seemed to be drifting south of 'amoral', hence the puppies. Don't worry, they'd come back as zombies.):
Deepspawn Samurai (Actually carried around all of the party's cash in a big sack. I don't remember what was up with the glasses.):
Knight:
I think this one was a sorcerer (done up in cute animu style to annoy the samurai player):
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Those are cool, and well done. The assassin's face is really freaky, though. Motherfucker needs to learn what hoods are all about.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

The knight in the style of a monumental brass is really cool.

The first assassin looks like a character from Dune, and is in a neat pose.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ETortoise wrote:The first assassin looks like a character from Dune, and is in a neat pose.
I thought he looked oddly like Abe Lincoln. But, yeah, I can see that as an Atreides uniform.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Tested out my new tablet with Gimp. Legally free, score!

So, a picture of my Aranea (redback spider based, because the venom isn't that serious) cohort:

NCSFWBNTUFW (Not Completely Safe For Work But Not That Unsafe For Work), Dat Abdomen
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Catharz, I really find the style of work there interesting; there's definitely a lot of character in each of the drawings, with respect to their poses and body gesture. I also like the fact that they all are drawn in a style that suits each character. You should tell your spouse to keep doing that stuff.

Also, people seriously do shell out for character art commissions and she does some high quality work and she's obviously not afraid to change traditional images to better fit the idea (making the stag knight's helm be shaped like a stag, not a statuette on top of the helm as was the original tradition).

eg. http://www.commissionedcomic.com does character art commissions.

Koumei, good joke, you're still as rough as you usually are (but tbh that's your style, so don't change it), and you keep proportions accurate; watch the head & hair, the head is like an egg and the hair rests on top.

Planning out your drawings in layers might help (i.e. draw the gesture of the character 1st; then block out the bodies sections; then draw the details on top). Seriously, you want to start with naked characters, then dress them up; since costume and props can confuse the proportions and viewing angles of a creature/object.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Layers are your friend.
Luvah
NPC

Post by Luvah »

Someone asked me to work on some characters from the tomes. I didn't have time to finish it in one sitting, but I wanted to post the work in progress to show I'm not slacking.

I need to clean the line a little, fix the coloring and do some other details, the wounds and blood need a lot of work. I normally don't do fantasy, but I'm happy with the result so far.
Boneblade reaper, hope to finish it sometime later this week.