[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 27 - Star Strider

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 27 - Star Strider

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Hiryu Aragorn will give him a name.

You give him a likely felon’s name. The Grom is immediately suspicious: Rogue Tracers never reveal targets even under pain of brainscan. He lets the bus go. He stares at you and you stare back, noticing how slight he is and how useless he would be in a fight. Just then he disappears and the inside of the craft becomes a square white box. The walls, roof and ceiling begin to close in on you. Spikes appear all over the surfaces and begin to ooze blood. Test your Fear Factor. If you are frightened, deduct 2 STAMINA points. Everything blacks out. Turn to 182.

The Fear Factor roll yielded a 7, meaning that Hiryu Aragorn was not frightened.

When you regain consciousness, you are facing the Grom. The craft is speeding along. The Grom smiles and expressed his apologies. He has checked your ID with base station and it matches information about known Rogue Tracers. He asks you if you play chess and you agree to a game. Immediately a beautiful set appears suspended in mid-air. He tells you that they will be making a stop first, but will get you back to the bus as soon as possible. You find him to be very intelligent and galaxy-wise. He wins the game easily.

The craft settles in a GromPol station. You stay in the craft and watch the Grom, who is talking to two Guards outside and pointing towards you. In front of you is a standard IPX computer. Do you trust the Grom, sit back and relax (turn to 270), take the opportunity of getting information from the computer (turn to 126), or steal the GromPol craft and fly away (turn to 163)?

Please vote before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

IPX computer. I still distrust this whole thing, but the info-gathering seems useful.

Aside:
Never giving away a target's name is a bizarre bit of world-building, and it doesn't make sense for the character not to know it. It's just a gotcha for readers because it isn't foreshadowed in the intro that I can tell. Odd!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Might be a test, especially since we supposedly gave what should have been a wrong response previously. Relax, in case we're being spied on.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Relax.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Relax and act normal.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

pragma wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:04 am
IPX computer. I still distrust this whole thing, but the info-gathering seems useful.

Aside:
Never giving away a target's name is a bizarre bit of world-building, and it doesn't make sense for the character not to know it. It's just a gotcha for readers because it isn't foreshadowed in the intro that I can tell. Odd!
I have to agree with this.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

I'm curious about what happens if we go completely nuts and try to steal the craft, but I'll agree with trying to get information from the computer.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I have tallied the votes, and I will have Hiryu Aragorn trust the Grom, sit back, and relax in order to break the 3-3 tie.

You sit back and watch the flashing lights and controls. After a time you fall asleep. When you wake up, you look out of the window and see the Grom heading back to the craft. Add 1 STAMINA point and turn to 91.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You settle back in your seat. The door slides open and the Grom comes in with two GromPols. He throws you a food cube and asks if you want a wash. When you have freshened up, you speed off to catch the Silverhound. Add 2 STAMINA points. Deduct 2 TIME units and turn to 381.

The GromPol craft accelerates and soon flags down the bus. The GromPol Android tells you to have a nice day. You get on board. The other passengers try to ignore you. Turn to 22.

The Silverhound lurches off and you have to listen to the reps’ dirty stories about the pleasure-planet of Luxurus. Eventually you reach Madrid and everybody gets off. Turn to 179.

You make your way towards the Silverhound terminal. A few natives wander around, carrying heavy cases. In the craft-park there are two buses, one marked ROMA and the other being repaired by a team of Mechnoids. You see a sign marked ‘Services’ and head towards it. Turn to 235.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You find that there is only one route that links the northern sector. Most services have been cancelled due to lack of demand and there are considerable delays between stops. While you are working out the times, an Android stands next to you and you feel the CodeMatch pulse on your Chronograph. Deduct 2 TIME units. Do you signal back (turn to 350) or decide to follow it first (turn to 152)?

Please vote before 6:00 PM PST to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Hiryu Aragorn
TIME: 42
CLUES:
OXYGEN: Full
SKILL: 10 Initial Skill = 10
STAMINA: 28 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK 10 Initial Luck = 10
FEAR: 7
CALCULATIONS:
BOONS:
1 Dice Manipulator[/spoiler]
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Signal back.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Follow it first. We know some androids are traitors, and I find this option suspicious.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Half vote for signal back, and I like that we get to see an advertisement/timetable thingy as a pic.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Follow it first.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

pragma wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:41 pm
Follow it first. We know some androids are traitors, and I find this option suspicious.
Agreed, the way the options are presented makes it likely that this is one of the "turned" androids.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted, Hiryu Aragorn will follow it first, as that won over signaling back by a 3-1.5 vote.

The Android wanders off out of the terminal. You give it a few minutes and then go to the window. You look out carefully. It is speaking to two GromPol Androids and it is obvious that it has been ‘turned’. Luckily the planted Androids do not know what you look like. The ‘turned’ Android moves off and fingers its stun gun as it passes a group of Houlgans who are trying to break in to a food-cube dispenser. Do you follow the Android (turn to 238) or approach the Houlgans (turn to 29)?

Please vote before 9:00 AM PST or a 3-vote majority is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Approach the hooligans.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Approach the Houlgans.

I think the Houlgans are less likely to be a trap, so go for them I guess. Though I wonder if we're giving up information by not following the android.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, might as well try the Houlgans.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'd like to keep following the android, now that we know what we're dealing with. The Houlgans are less likely to have information about the President, I think.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Talk to the houlgan hooligans.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Approaching the Houlgans received a 4-1 majority, so Hiryu Aragorn will do just that.

As you approach the Houlgans, they notice you and slowly surround you. They watch you carefully. Some of them are swinging chains in the air. One of them, who appears to be the leader, asks you if you have any credits. You look at him carefully and see that he has the figure 90 scrawled on his cheek. Do you give them any credits (turn to 147) or refuse and stand your ground (turn to 287)?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Refuse.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Hmmm, a number reference, I feel that might be only unlocked if we give credits, so give credits.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I don't think we'll be given a special number reference before we already had the opportunity to unlock it. If we'd seen the number and don't know of any special sections to turn to yet, chances are we've already missed it.

Refuse.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Games Workshop really loves its football hooligan jokes, doesn't it?

I'd be in favor of giving since we've already given up a potential lead with the android, but I don't want to force a tie.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Refuse.