It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, a couple friends are getting married, and decided to do a steampunk theme wedding. The groom is also Scottish. So instead of more typical bridesmaid outfits and tuxes for the groomsmen, they bought the bridesmaids corsets and the groomsmen kilts.

Today I have learned that kilts are somewhat awkward, at least if you're not used to skirt-like garments or higher-than-knee loose shorts.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Kilts aren't that bad. Wore one for prom. That said, having to have it up to your bellybutton? That was weird. I don't wear pants that high.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I don't wear pants like that because I'm fat so it's uncomfortable. The kilt is a lot better, but if I wear it that high, it feels like I'm sitting down on my bare arse, even though I'm actually not going regimental. Even wearing it around my hips like I do pants, I need to get used to gathering the material under me when I sit.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Beloved fiancee wants centerpieces that blink in a specific way. I made that work with a timer, then spent several more hours rediscovering that design isn't the hard part, layout is.

Late last night, after several days of debugging and soldering (and burning up at least one timer), I found that even though she had correctly ordered 47uf caps, we received .47uf caps (also, it took me several days to notice). Le sigh.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

So, anybody know some good medical malpractice lawyers in Ontario?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Meikle641 wrote:So, anybody know some good medical malpractice lawyers in Ontario?
No, although it sounds like there's a larger story, here.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

tl;dr Mom got blown off for over 3 months. In early September we forced the hospital to do some tests. Turns out it was a tumor the size of a baby. Couldn't operate by then. Spent september and october in agony and battling infections (most contracted while she was there). When she finally died on wednesday morning it was a mercy.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

:( Image
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

While I don't want to discourage any action you might take involving lawyers, there are sacrifices and consequences a person will have to make when you take up a law case.

I've either experienced or been very close to people who have fought medical malpractice cases over the laast couple of years. They do sap you mentally and financially.

if you do have a case then you could probably get a judgment/settlement in your favor but it will bg years down the line and it sometimes doesn't seem as though the pros weigh more than the cons.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Sorry Meikle :(
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Meikle641 wrote:tl;dr Mom got blown off for over 3 months. In early September we forced the hospital to do some tests. Turns out it was a tumor the size of a baby. Couldn't operate by then. Spent september and october in agony and battling infections (most contracted while she was there). When she finally died on wednesday morning it was a mercy.
That's terrible.

As someone who works at a law office that deals with med mal, though not in Ontario, or Canada at all, I recommend finding smallish firm, handing them everything you know, and letting them deal with it after than until it's done. They'll ask a bunch of questions, and you may get deposed, but for the most part, let them handle it and keep it off of your mind as much as possible.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Cynic: I don't have any particular hope it'll go anywhere. Docs are like cops up here. All I really want is for some people to acknowledge some fuckups and to apologize, if nothing else.

What is particularly galling is that her gynecologist didn't know his head from his ass, and even cancelled her chance for treatment at Sunnybrook, one of the better hospitals. He kept attempting to do tests he knew wouldn't work, due to her pelvic deformities. Then, after he calls in a colleague she was like, "Oh, we just need x tool; it'll get us into the cervix no problem, even with the problem." So seemingly the tool was easy to acquire, just a matter of calling for one to be borrowed or delivered. So even at that stage they could've detected it a couple weeks earlier. Just one thing after another, it was.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

I'm pretty sure the Law Society of Upper Canada has a reference program - if not, look at the Canadian Bar Association website.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

*Sigh* So... Germany and it's free colleges.

I know not one bit of the language*. I'm still tempted to go to Germany for a Master's in Journalism (English language programs are findable). I'm also tempted to learn German** to get a Bachelor's in Library Science.

Of course, that entails leaving my friends behind, and going even further away from a woman I want to get closer to, geographically speaking.***

Oh, and finding a way to support myself in Germany while I learn the language.

*The very first phrase from Duolingo and a handful of Rammstein lyrics not withstanding.

**I do anyway, I guess

***Met online, messaged a month after she'd moved to LA from my city, is currently with a guy, and we have a relationship that is too complicated for Facebook's "It's Complicated" status. She's visiting for a few days in November, but... yeah.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm 27. I really don't want to be in college when I'm 30, but if I want more than a couple AAs, it's looking like I'll have to be.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Supporting yourself while abroad is the tricky part. I was looking into going to Europe for college myself, but college is hard when you're not actually that bright. Plus, I don't want to be that far away from home when in my case one bad enough depressive episode can put me out on the street.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Aharon
Master

Post by Aharon »

Prak_Anima wrote:*Sigh* So... Germany and it's free colleges.

I know not one bit of the language*. I'm still tempted to go to Germany for a Master's in Journalism (English language programs are findable). I'm also tempted to learn German** to get a Bachelor's in Library Science.

Of course, that entails leaving my friends behind, and going even further away from a woman I want to get closer to, geographically speaking.***

Oh, and finding a way to support myself in Germany while I learn the language.

*The very first phrase from Duolingo and a handful of Rammstein lyrics not withstanding.

**I do anyway, I guess

***Met online, messaged a month after she'd moved to LA from my city, is currently with a guy, and we have a relationship that is too complicated for Facebook's "It's Complicated" status. She's visiting for a few days in November, but... yeah.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm 27. I really don't want to be in college when I'm 30, but if I want more than a couple AAs, it's looking like I'll have to be.
I have no idea what the laws on coming to Germany to study are, unfortunately. Not knowing the language will be manageable in bigger cities, everybody speaks english there, anyway. A friend of mine did a Bachelor equivalent in Library Science, she's in her mid-twenties now, so the age isn't an issue.
I don't know if full-time Bachelor of Library Science programs exist, what she did was a "duale Ausbildung", where you work several weeks and then study several weeks. This is also a solution for the money problem - the pay isn't great, but enough to live (I don't have data for most federal states. If you hit the jackpot and get a place in Bavaria, which has the best paid jobs in Germany, the starting pay is 1.100 € per month (source at the bottom of the page), but costs of living are higher than in the rest of Germany, too). I think the friend mentioned above made something like 700€/month in Eastern Germany. If you forego a car, that's doable. I think her flat was 300€/month, but she shared it with her boyfriend, smaller ones are available.

If you decide against a "duale Ausbildung", in most cities you can get student jobs with mediocre pay - the minimum wage is 8,50 €/hour, but there are many exceptions, and some companies use fictitious self-employment to get around minimum wage. The best option would be to get a job as research assistent, this is open to students. Pay isn't much better than minimum wage, but you get relevant experience in your field. You might want to consider looking at fraternities for cheap living - if you are good at convincing people (they do most of their prospecting via cheap flats, so they want to rent them out to potential recruits).
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I live in Munchen, and can comment on the costs of living.

Appartments in Munchen are fucking expensive. Mine is 700€/month + about 300€/month for food. However, I had some strict criteria for it being close to the university, and normally you can find it cheaper (about 400-500€), especially if you are willing to spend an hour or to on getting to the university.

When looking for an appartment, make sure you see the "warm" price - with all taxes and water and electricity costs.

To get a visa you'll need an insurance for the duration of your studies, a proof of enrollment, and savings on a blocked account in a german bank. I don't remember the number exactly, but I think it's 8k per year of studies.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Fuckballs. Yesterday, we went to the Pacific Science Center - which was awesome. But for whatever stupid reason, when I connected to wifi to send a text to my mom, my iPod started downloading the update for the latest version of iOS automatically. I didn't notice for a while but when I went to take pictures, I noticed that it was playing some U2 song (On mute. WTF?) and my battery was almost dead. Auto-updates are disabled.

That was annoying. And then today, my computer died. I don't even. I'm so frustrated.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Went to the best marriage ever on Saturday (mine).
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I'll assume congratulations are in order?
If not, better luck next time.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

fectin wrote:Went to the best marriage ever on Saturday (mine).
my congratulations/condolences, take your pick ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Yay!!
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Thanks! :D
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Congrats, fectin.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Maj wrote:And then today, my computer died. I don't even. I'm so frustrated.
Computers have majorly improved. I bought a refurbished machine from the local computer repair place, but didn't want to deal with having to move everything over and blah, blah. So I just took out my old hard drives and put them in the new box, and told Windows to boot.

Did it scream at me and tell me that I needed to reinstall? No. Did it even need the installation disk to get drivers? No. Did it need to connect to the internet to go all Windows Update on me? No. It took a few minutes to install drivers for the hardware, and then a quick reboot. Done. It took me less time to drop off my son at school and pick up the computer at the store.

I have never had such an easy time fixing a computer. Huzzah.