[3.x]Call to Adventure: Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Oil, asphalt, and pitch are used in various industries, from lamps to waterproofing ships.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Do we actually have a means of starting a fire? Orr's Fireburst does '1d6 damage per level' (I'm assuming fire damage) but doesn't say anything about actually starting fires. If this is another illusion, it still wouldn't do much though.

Also, I suppose we're going to be restarting Magical Industry here at some point :tongue:
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Okay, the catching fire rules I read are apparently for characters, so fire damage might or might not be able to set objects on fire. Whether or not fire burst can start fires is still a DM call as far as I can tell.

How far is the figure from the nearest pool? How far is it from us?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The figure is on the path (10 feet from the foremost character); the nearest observable patch is a pool of bubbling pitch (3 feet in diamater) to his left, some 4 feet away. There are many dark pools and oozing flows around the swamp; you see several on either side of you, about 5-6 feet away on either side.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Okay, we could try something like this:

Orr goes underground and very slightly shapes earth upwards around the figure's feet. If the dirt doesn't go through him, Archimedes tells Orr telepathically, and then tries to knock it into a pool. Orr resurfaces and fire blasts the pool, if possible, the figure as well, hoping it didn't take Fiendish Fire Immunity.

If it turns out to be an illusion... I don't know yet.

There's also a chance that the pools are illusions, but we're going to have to try something.

Want to go for it, or try something else?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd be down with that plan, but I'd wait to see what Capn thinks first.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Better plan, I think: Orr tries to sicken/nauseate the figure (I doubt it'd know to command the figure to respond to this if it is an illusion).

If it's real, that could be followed up by Orr trying again if it isn't nauseated or entangling it, after which Archimedes could pounce, full attack with the hammer and natural slam as the rat suggests.

or

waiting for Archimedes to bullrush (literally!) it into a pool after which Orr firebursts it.

I think with the number of attacks Archimedes has, the former could do a lot of damage and hopefully stunlock it.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I can only force one save vs. stun per round. I only realized that after making the character.

That being said, a pounce routine of true strike +whirling frenzy and then next round power attacking for 2 and hammering twice and then slam/gore/1 claw/bite/tail would probably kill it if it can be affected by physical attacks at all.

I think that'd come to +35(maybe more depending on the hammer's magic bonuses)/+15/+13/+13/+13/+13/+13. Being made of iron might also modify those attacks in ways I'm not sure.

The bullrush has got a pretty damn good chance of working, again if the thing has physical form at all. It's also cooler so it's got that going for it. But if I stun the guy with the pounce strategy I can just jolly well push him into the pit. But I only get one shot at stunning really.

Still, I'd probably go for the pounce since we don't know if this guy's fire immune.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Mal is out of useful spells so he could contribute his crappy eldritch blast.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Your call Darth/Capn. I'm cool with either option.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I assume from the spectacular reaction that was the pouncing frenzy alpha strike?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Bullrush, actually. That's why the torso was torn off.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Oh, nice.

prestidigitation can be used to clean objects. Could it be used to clean off one's body? It's a spell that leaves a fair amount up to DM interpretation.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You can try!
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Could Shape Earth (as Stone Shape, but applies to mud or dirt as well) be used to form a tunnel underground? It'd be really slow even if it can as Orr can 'reshape' 13 cubic ft every 6 seconds.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You can try! But the water table's pretty high, so it would likely flood.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Should we try to slam the lid on this thing?

ed: Probably shouldn't have to say but this goes out to Capn and rad, not AH.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I could close it again, but are we being racist? Should we exterminate floating brains on sight? Perhaps Malogos can make a knowledge check or the rat might know something about it.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well, we *are* evil (except for maybe the rat), but other than Malagos we all look as weird or weirder than a floating disembodied brain so we're evil people who probably wouldn't judge based off of appearances.

Waiting to see if either of our other allies know anything is a good idea, though.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yeah, we definitely shouldn't be judging by appearances :tongue:. Being evil is cool and all, but the brain might be useful to us alive.

We could close it and then talk to it telepathically (though I'd rather Orr didn't try it as he's already low on wisdom till he recovers the ability damage) but let's see if they know anything about it.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Ugh, sorry guys, been busy with the funness that is work.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Does it looks like it's possible to stoneshape the box to trap it again?

Also, guys, should we attack it now?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You can try! It looks like there's more of it out of the box than in at this point.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I was waiting for someone to ask. I'm considering flying up and pouncing the thing.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Go ahead. I'll sicken (and possibly nauseate) it first.