Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

While I agree with your overall point, Kaelik, I take issue with your rethoric.
Setting aside the handful of crazies that pure numbers get you, people who like BDSM don't actually desire to rape and torture real helpless victims, and are obviously not what either Prak or Eikre was talking about. So that's a complete strawman.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

For the sake of discussion, I am throwing this out here. I am not advocating this, I'm just sleep deprived and I think of weird shit when that happens.

Let's say we solve the illegal immigration/drug cartel problem by finishing what we started in 1845 and just annexing the rest of Mexico? Other than the Mexicans probably not being too keen on the idea, what would be the effects?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:For the sake of discussion, I am throwing this out here. I am not advocating this, I'm just sleep deprived and I think of weird shit when that happens.

Let's say we solve the illegal immigration/drug cartel problem by finishing what we started in 1845 and just annexing the rest of Mexico? Other than the Mexicans probably not being too keen on the idea, what would be the effects?
I somehow doubt that our collective racist uncle would be satisfied by an immigration solution that made the population of Mexico into U.S. Citizens.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:For the sake of discussion, I am throwing this out here. I am not advocating this, I'm just sleep deprived and I think of weird shit when that happens.

The US GDP increases by 7 and a half percent (over 11 percent if you use PPP). We take back our number one country spot from China and beat the EU.

Our southern land border goes from 3145 kilometers to 1121 kilometers. We lost 2000 kilometers of land border. Unfortunately, our new Southern borders are with Guatemala and Belize. But still, its a much smaller area to patrol. The government can save some money there.

A lot more welfare payments. The US per capita GDP is like five times higher than the Mexican per capita GDP.

Of course, if we do this violently we've blatantly violated international law (wars of Conquest are bad, yo) and set the most terrible precedent possible. Somehow China and Russia becomes the good guys and the US loses a lot of trust.

So we'd have to do it non-violently. We'd need Mexico's cooperation.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Kaelik wrote:I'm pretty sure I can win an argument about who was the better ethics system without actually describing one if your solution to people who like BDSM is murder them all or deport them.
Yeah, I bet you could, too. If that was my fucking "solution" to consensual kinksters, and if we were, in fact, talking about those people at fucking all.

But we aren't talking about those people, and I know you're not such an insipid moron that you honestly think that biting your girlfriend's thigh until she utters the safeword is part of a conversation about forcing, without consent, a vulnerable captive to submit to extrajudical brutalities.

So I'm just going to assume that you had the urge to say something essentially factual and incontrovertible and didn't much care if it was a total non-sequitur, and I'm okay with that, but can I just ask that if you do that that you don't do it by quoting my posts and making it a statement that closely resembles the tone and wording of an actual argument in good faith? That would be dandy, and I will even join in on it with you:

Hey, did everyone know that the last successful invasion of England was conducted in the late 17th century by William III of Orange and his English wife, Mary, in a prominent chapter of Catholic-Protestant disputes? This is factual information and I have said it, and I will win an argument against anyone who thinks that it was not a quasi-holy war and was actually about providing the Dutch public with cheap, luxurious wool from Welsh sheep.

Look, the question that opened up the discussion was, "Hey, when I was watching this cartoon for children, the protagonist is pretty adamant about not subjecting her captive to bodily horrors to make her job more convenient, what's up with that?" So let's just reiterate: It's because most eight year olds, without resorting to any articulated moral reasoning at all, still intuitively grasp that torture is a repulsive practice and appreciate that an unwillingness to torture is a trait of a heroic figure.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay you fucking idiot. You have established that you are idiot. The S in BDSM stands for sadism. Many people who are turned on by being sadistic do not actually require consent to be turned on.

I also appreciate how you ignored literally all the rest of my point to focus on one single word, so let's spell this out again.

You are fucking wrong. It is not an inherent condition of humans to be opposed to torture. It totally isn't. People are super tribal. If you tortured someone I don't care about, I would not find that any more repulsive than Tax evasion.

Many Many Many Many People do not share this particular feeling. Your ethical theory is that all these people because they are not repulsed by torture should torture people, until you personally murder them because you are repulsed by their actions.

Spoiler Alert: You are an idiot.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

http://ackkstudios.bandcamp.com/track/h ... -the-world

Have the lyrics for this been written down anywhere? I was thinking about transcribing as best I could, but maybe someone's already done that.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

So my 2-year-old daughter apparently hates medicine. I've tried giving it to her with a spoon, a syringe, a milk bottle. 9 out of 10 attempts, she takes it in and then pukes it up with a lot of phlegm.

I never had this problem with my other kid. Any suggestions on how to feed meds to a child who apparently will always puke up her meds.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Does she puke it up immediately, or is there a delay?

If it's immediate, it might be the taste. Sometimes it's possible to mix the medicine into a drink or something to mask the taste. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if that's all right.

If there's a delay, she might actually be allergic to something in the medicine. Even if it happens with different kinds of medicine, they might have shared ingredients. There should be some other medications with the same effect but different ingredients.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

{snark} Teach her to take a pill. {/snark}

Is it the consistency of the liquid? Maybe try thinning it out?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Why are black women who work at call centers so much more willing to use common sense than workers of other race and gender combinations?

And for that matter, have their been any studies about the relative willingness of call center employees to use common sense rather than religiously following policies which are obviously not designed with the current problem in mind?
Cynic wrote:So my 2-year-old daughter apparently hates medicine. I've tried giving it to her with a spoon, a syringe, a milk bottle. 9 out of 10 attempts, she takes it in and then pukes it up with a lot of phlegm.

I never had this problem with my other kid. Any suggestions on how to feed meds to a child who apparently will always puke up her meds.
That's not a matter of taste or personal preference. That's a biological reaction. The medicine is probably upsetting her stomach, if the vomiting is consistent.

My best suggestion with be to dilute it in something that you know she can hold down. If that doesn't work, then try a different medicine. If that doesn't work, you might have to try alternate delivery methods, such as suppository or injection.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think suppositories are pretty standard for babies who can't hold down medicine at home. You know, if it doesn't go in one way, there's always the other.

And, in general, consult your pediatrician.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

And for that matter, have their been any studies about the relative willingness of call center employees to use common sense rather than religiously following policies which are obviously not designed with the current problem in mind?
Call centers are hell on earth, especially for people who work there. The job doesn't pay well, and doesn't require qualifications. This means that workers are easily exchangeable, and poor Steve the call center guy must give as few reasons to fire him as possible.
erik
King

Post by erik »

hyzmarca wrote:Why are black women who work at call centers so much more willing to use common sense than workers of other race and gender combinations?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization

Dunno about studies done but from personal experience it isn't unthinkable that call center workers eventually submit to the soul crushing experience and just zombify to get through the day by following the scripts.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

How do you know which ones are black?
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Orion wrote:How do you know which ones are black?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_profiling
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

We've tried it in water and in milk (doc discouraged the milk).

She pukes it out in both. A little less frequently than when just fed via a syringe/dropper/etc..

They don't actually make her medication in pill form (at least covered by insurance.)

The one method that actually seems to be working is to give it to her in small increments over about 10ish minutes. Reduces the efficacy a little, I suppose but it at least gets most of the medicine into her.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

hyzmarca wrote:Why are black women who work at call centers so much more willing to use common sense than workers of other race and gender combinations?
I always feel that a good way to start a lively discussion is ask questions about how white people are different from black people.

But all kidding aside, I haven't actually noticed that, mostly because the call center I formerly worked at encouraged the agents to be creative in fixing problems. I notice that older people are usually more willing to work outside of the given SOP's to get the job done than young people, but that's probably due to confidence and experience rather than melanin production and subtle skull shape differences.

Then again, I'm positive that it's the only call center that pays $14 an hour with full benefits when you start out, so my experiences are probably atypically good (for a change...)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I've noticed that when I'm dealing with a call center worker who I would presume to black from name/voice, they tend to be more polite and patient, which I would anecdotally chalk up to probably something to do with their upbringing. It's a stereotype, but from what I've seen, black families seem to place higher importance on older values such as saying "sir" and "ma'am."

There's also the fact that in an America where dwb and wwb are crimes often punished by execution, extreme politeness and ingratiation are survival traits for young african americans.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

My computer doesn't have the standard Microsoft card games (Solitaire, FreeCell, and Spider Solitaire). Where can I go to get those?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Shrapnel wrote:My computer doesn't have the standard Microsoft card games (Solitaire, FreeCell, and Spider Solitaire). Where can I go to get those?
They're on the Store as "Miicrosoft Solitaire Collection".
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Greatness! Grazie a mille.
Half asleep upon my knee
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Is there a faster way to look through and get to earlier pages of threads other than just clicking on the "Previous" thingy?
Half asleep upon my knee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Yeah.

Code: Select all

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50207&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=4650
See those last four numbers? That's the amount of posts. There are 25 posts per page. So if that number were 0, it's the beginning of page 1. The link I posted is the beginning of page 187. It's not pretty, but it's functional.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Hrn. It involves math, my greatest nemesis...

Ah, well. Can't be helped. Thanks, Maj.
Half asleep upon my knee
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Shrapnel wrote:Hrn. It involves math, my greatest nemesis...

Ah, well. Can't be helped. Thanks, Maj.
Technology to the rescue