Being Good in D&D: this one's for you, K and Frank

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Re: Being Good in D&D: this one's for you, K and Frank

Post by tzor »

Iaimeki at [unixtime wrote:1187970709[/unixtime]]The Book of Exalted Deeds is, unfortunately, the poster-child for the phenomenon of people injecting Christianity into D&D.

:screams: No; a thousand times no; a million times no even.

The BoED is a pathetic attempt to invert the BoVD. In so doing it makes an assumption that Good and Evil are equal opposites; which is in fact a gnostic heresy. One major notion in the BoED that it's ok to do vile things to vile people, as long as you call it something different is about as un-Christian as un-Christian gets.

Whatever the BoED is, it ain't Christian.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Allow me to rephrase...

Of course trying to take all of your religious and philosophical beliefs from real life and translate them into D&D is a bad idea. It's probably a bad idea to do that even to a game that you're specifically designing to support it; it's a vastly worse idea to try to force them into a game that isn't designed for it.

And you shouldn't need to, because it's a game. It's explicitly and intentionally pissing all over history, biology, physics, and virtually every other area of human study, because it makes for a fun setting. In D&D, "good" is a technical term, and it's technical meaning is not the technical meaning ascribed to it by real-world philosophers or theologians. And being clear about that is certainly a good thing.

But I think you can make that point without actually going on to argue that all real-world religions are false and that your readers are probably morally bankrupt and follow gods that would be evil if they existed. It simply doesn't matter, specifically because good and evil in D&D work on rules that don't actually have anything to do with real life.

Detailing how good and evil "should" work in D&D based on the belief that real-world religions are false and so forth is actually injecting your own philosophical and religious beliefs into the game, which is what we've all just been saying is a phenomenally stupid and bad thing when Christians do it. I don't think it's likely to work better when atheists do it.

Can't it just be a completely arbitrary system that's useful for storytelling purposes and doesn't have anything to do with real life?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Tzor wrote:
Whatever the BoED is, it ain't Christian.

Actually, it is. It's written by a genuine Protestant Minister and cleaves closely to his views on morality and faith. I realize that as a Catholic you have trouble accepting this - but those people really are Christians even if they are members of a different sect and disagree with you on virtually every point. As I recall, they have a similar reaction when people talk about you and your views as "Christian".

I personally find it hilarious that different Christian sects can accuse each other so vehemently of not being Christian. Being "wrong" or "stupid", or even "evil" i can totally understand, but not really being Christian is just weird. A surprising amount of people tell me that Catholics or Anglicans, or some other Protestant variant are "not Christians". As an Atheist I am perpetually confused by this, but I'm always willing to defend peoples' religions as actually eing whatever it is that they are.

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Good and evil are arbitrary concepts with varying definitions.

No RPG is going to solve the mysteries of good and evil or even get a definition that everyone can agree on.

It's basically all going to come down to your DM's interpretation of good/evil and hopefully that view is rational enough that you don't get totally screwed over.

But first things first, you make things easier by just removing the alignment system entirely.

If someone wants to be a paladin, then yes, they're going to need to talk to their DM about it beforehand and make sure that their concepts of good and evil match, or that they can at least find common ground.

The other PCs really shouldn't have to worry much about it.

The less you include alignment in mechanics, the better off you'll be.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

The biggest problem I have with the Exalted Furries book (nice one, btw), is that it tries to shove this bizarre modern absolutist version of 'Good' that isn't even appropriate to any setting they shove it in. Except possibly, planescape, but even then, with essentially infinite planes, infinite cultures and infinite points of view, it doesn't work there either.

Now, I don't know if the Aztecs, for example, even conceptualized Good and Evil in a way that makes sense in this format, but I'm pretty damn sure that you couldn't convince them that cutting the hearts out of people was a bad or evil thing. (Assuming you weren't talking to the guy tied down on the altar, of course). People need to die to make the sun come up, in much the same way that criminals need to be imprisoned to keep the crime rate down. And yes, there are logical errors in both beliefs, but the average member of both cultures will probably feel that the appropriate statement is true.

And certainly, a hell of a lot of cultures haven't looked at feeding the poor as a Good thing. More often its, the poor are that way because they fvcking deserve it, and who are you to screw with the order of the universe?

A vow of poverty isn't a measure of morality- its a fvcking personal quirk, particularly in cultures where most people don't have any damn money in the first place.

So yeah, they can feel free to keep moral opinions out of the game. They're irrelevant and not really appropriate. Animating the dead might be disrespectful, but it can be damn good for the economy- and it comes down to a cultural bias, not some bizarre 'order of the universe' mandate of 'this is EVIL'

Of course, its like the bizarre idea that druids are somehow tree-hugging environmentalists instead of lore and law keepers. Screw the trees, its time to shove the POWs in the wicker man and fvcking set them on fire.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

The vast majority of Alignment problems would be solved if people could only accept that D&D is a game about war. When someone is trying to stick several kilos of steel in your gut, you don't care about who he is or what he believes in, you kill him before he kills you. That's all there is to it.

So, yes, using deadly poisons and torturing people for information is Evil with a capital E. But it is relatively acceptable because this is a War and survival and winning matters more than philosophical debate on the nature of salvation. D&D characters would totally Animate Dead and bring demons to the world because every shambling corpse or nether demon between them and the enemy means they get to live another day.

Alignment is stupid because even if it meant anything, people would still be Evil. They would choose to be Evil. Unless, of course, your DM allows the Book of Exalted Furries in which case being Good is totally pimp though not good at all.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

But thats just it, it wouldn't be totally Evil. It wasn't until recently that people developed and embraced that idea that stabbing someone in the face and using his bits to decorate your city, while you raped and enslaved his women/children wasn't absolutely everyday behavior. They're the enemy, they totally fvcking deserve it for being stupid, different and probably nonbelievers as well.

Hell, in some places around the world, its still acceptable behavior.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Alignment is stupid because even if it meant anything, people would still be Evil. They would choose to be Evil. Unless, of course, your DM allows the Book of Exalted Furries in which case being Good is totally pimp though not good at all.

This is EXACTLY WHY I'M SO INTERESTED IN TOME OF VIRTUE.

Seriously, especially at high level, there's so much that spellcasters are expected to do just to survive that it's almost impossible not to do evil things. The best you can justify this is with utilitarianism.

But seriously, some people don't want to play in a game where it's expected that they trade in human souls or force intelligent outsiders to do their bidding or cram spirits into stone robots. Or rather, they do, they just want some sort of freakin' compensation for not falling into this model.

What am I talking about? Well, giving the paladin an atonement at level one as a spell-like ability is a start, but I have the feeling that it's not going FAR ENOUGH.

Here's what I think a 5th level character should be able to do.

- With a lot of convincing and kindness, convince an aboleth or a beholder that their way of life is wrong and should seek a better way of living.

- After kicking the butts of both a local wild elf tribe and the orc tribes, make them sit down and come up with a lasting peace treaty after hundreds of years of warfare.

- Incite the populace of a good-sized town, including the guards, that they should really reconsider their laws which subjects women to oppression that the Biblical times would wince at. People who aren't at the speech or meeting somehow hear this meme.

- Make a revenant give up its relentless need for revenge.

So on.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

But... why? Where are the characters getting the idea that redeeming the evil monsters (of various stripes, including the ones that look human) is even a worthwhile approach? In the history of their society, stabbing something in the face has been the only method of keeping themselves alive.

There is a big line between not summoning outsiders/creating golems and the like and playing an anachronistic game of Missionaries and Martyrs
And any moron who spends the time babbling about kindness to a beholder deserves to be disintegrated. Neither aboleths or beholders are simpleminded enough to tolerate missionaries, or put up with that sort of behavior.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

But... why? Where are the characters getting the idea that redeeming the evil monsters (of various stripes, including the ones that look human) is even a worthwhile approach? In the history of their society, stabbing something in the face has been the only method of keeping themselves alive.

There is a big line between not summoning outsiders/creating golems and the like and playing an anachronistic game of Missionaries and Martyrs
And any moron who spends the time babbling about kindness to a beholder deserves to be disintegrated. Neither aboleths or beholders are simpleminded enough to tolerate missionaries, or put up with that sort of behavior.

If you don't do that, though, then society gets locked into a cycle of war and death and misery where people who aren't 'in the group' can have anything subject to them.

Seriously, if orcs are okay with killing elves, then chances are they're probably okay with stealing from them, torturing them, raping them, enslaving them, and so on.

And it's actually impossible to preach things about the brotherhood of man and peace and goodwill if seriously just last week you tortured an orc to find out where they plan to set a forest fire.

The world of D&D is locked into a death struggle where entire races go extinct all of the time for no good reason. Sometimes it's unavoidable like a megavolcano exploding, sometimes it's the result of hubris like some lab-created zombie disease. But the most tragic cause is when some race kills every last person of another one.

D&D is a game about winners and losers. We don't know which races are going to end up on top and which ones are going to be sent to the scrap heap of history. I'm pretty sure that sahugin are going to be around for a long time while, say, ettin are eventually going to go extinct. And if your race is on the loser side of history then your best chance for survival is to team up with the other races. Right now, the only faction that seems to have anything put together is the human-elf-dwarf-gnome-halfling one so it might be your only choice. Is it any freaking wonder why most of the 'good' people in campaign come from here? But even this alliance isn't going to guarantee survival. I can see them totally getting overrun by ghouls or sahugin that master the secrets of land.

Unfortunately, as Voss pointed out, D&D characters are heavily punished for daring to think outside of the narrow mindset of 'four legs good, two legs bad!'. Seriously, while it is possible to reform a beholder, the amount of effort that goes into it makes it likely that you could be spending your time doing better things like researching a universal cure for mummy rot. Even if you roll a ballin' enough diplomacy check to convince a tribe of orcs that Gruumsh is going to lead them to their deaths, there's still millions of orcs out there and Gruumsh himself who will not only not remained convinced of your new ballin' philosophy but will probably stop by to kill the orcs and undo all of your hard work.

One of the selling points about D&D is that you get to roleplay a hero. But it's really, really goddamn hard to do it when the world is the way it is. Heroes NEED to be able to convince Ogre hordes as a standard action the error of their ways and they also need some kind of bonus for taking this kind of time to do so.

If you try to convince them to live in peace rather than kill and loot them, in standard D&D you miss out on loot and experience and expose yourself and those you care about to great personal risk for a story-related benefit--which may or may not be appropriate to the story you want to tell. That's not cool at all when a game advertises itself where you get to step into the role of heroes and routinely punishes you for daring to actually do heroic things.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

But, sorry, still lost.
Killing things is what heroes do. Its the point of heroes. Heroes aren't the guys who preach peace and understanding, and they aren't even the folks that rescue people from collapsed buildings. They're the ones that, when there are monsters about, stick a sharp bit of metal into its head.

And, traditionally, parade about with its head on a stick.

cycle of war and death and misery

That, traditionally, is called life.
I'm not trying to be an ass, really, but the myths, the literature, the history that this game invokes is pretty much entirely the violent side of the human experience. The bit that we are actually really damn good at. If you really want cutesy cuddling up to creatures of all types and understanding of all creatures no matter what they look like, you want Star Trek or fvcking Pokemon.

Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Basically, Lago wants to play a game where you're a superhero in the comic book sense without a comic book setting, rather than a hero in the Greek sense of "guy who can kill all of us if he feels like it."

And now I have to go so I can't finish what I was going to say.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

But superheroes don't do that either. They just beat the villain up, and then let him go so they can sell more comics. They don't try to make the villain a 'better person'
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Well, they try, it just never works. But maybe I'm thinking of superhero movies where they actually do win, or perhaps the games I've played that actually end in "happily ever after."

But the point is that he (and many other people) want to make a difference, and they want it to be for the better.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Right. And killing the folks that want to kill your people is making that 'better difference'. Because then they aren't killing you. But seriously, maybe its the subset of comics I read as a kid, but largely, they didn't do that.

Maybe its me, and my dislike of missionaries (since, well, they tend to destroy cultures, one way or another), but I get leery of people wanting to make a difference. (Regime change! Thats always a good idea).

Though it isn't nearly as bad as someone who starts talking about the greater good. Then its time to hide, because those fvckers can commit any sort of atrocity, and smile while doing it.

Manxome
Knight-Baron

Post by Manxome »

Well, it's not actually necessary to convert all the bad guys in order to make a difference. Foiling their schemes and capturing/killing them can make quite a difference, too. Especially when the "bad guy" is actually a dumb beast or force of nature that doesn't even have the intelligence to convert if it wanted to.

And if your GM really wants to, it's probably not that difficult for him to come up with a quest that can end a war (or at least delay it for a long time) or similar without actually requiring any sort of conversion. Sealing the magical portal and trapping the evil monsters on the other side puts a stop to their plans for conquest just as effectively as convincing them that conquest is a bad idea.

I can sympathize with the idea of wanting to convert the bad guys just because it is, in at least some sense, the optimal outcome. But claiming that it should be expected by default simply because "you're supposed to be heroes" or "you should be able to make a difference" seems rather far-fetched to me. And, frankly, unless converting the bad guys is really freaking hard, I think it tends to make for an unsatisfying conclusion to a story or game. Cooperative solutions are easy; winning in spite of opposition is impressive.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Lago, I think we are playing two very different games. To me, the greatest difference a hero can make is to stop the war. To you, the hero must convert all others to his own view. The problem is that Elves don't think of Orcs as people and fellow members of the Brotherhood of Humanoids, they think of them as the enemy! Orcs are not really people, they are mindless killing beasts. And this worldview is backed up by an actual god who comes down and preaches it and reinforced by several thousand years of Orcish aggression. The Elves aren't changing anytime soon, not because it's impossible but because to make it halfway plausible you'd have to architect a shift in societal conditions and institute what amounts to a brainwashing program. You'd have to destroy the Elven culture and replace it with another. And that is not happening in a tactical wargame.

I think you are asking too much out of D&D. It's about as complicated as Diablo. The Alignment system was an attempt to justify the apparent genocides that heroes were committing left and right. But there are no genocides, as of Races of War. You don't kill off races unless they are utter bastards but you do kill enemies, all the fvcking time. That's the whole point of the game. It's not a grand story of Good vs Evil unless you want to call your side that. And even then, it's WAR!
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Maybe its me, and my dislike of missionaries (since, well, they tend to destroy cultures, one way or another), but I get leery of people wanting to make a difference. (Regime change! Thats always a good idea).

Though it isn't nearly as bad as someone who starts talking about the greater good. Then its time to hide, because those fvckers can commit any sort of atrocity, and smile while doing it.

WTF? Seriously, WTF?

I can't imagine how any regime change ever is supposed to be WORSE than the one that exists in Dungeons and Dragons. Seriously, there's mindflayer hordes plotting to cross the rift and suck out each and every last brain and Gruumsh is personally ensuring that each and every last orc is going to fight to the death.

Culture and species destruction is the default state of D&D and you could argue that it's the aim. I have no clue whatsoever how you got the idea that a group of people preaching something different somehow contributes to genocide more than the current state of affairs.

But claiming that it should be expected by default simply because "you're supposed to be heroes" or "you should be able to make a difference" seems rather far-fetched to me. And, frankly, unless converting the bad guys is really freaking hard, I think it tends to make for an unsatisfying conclusion to a story or game. Cooperative solutions are easy; winning in spite of opposition is impressive.

Right, I understand that not everyone wants to play that game. D&D is at its core (and some say at its best) when it's just about killing and looting.

But as Frank pointed out, being 'good' in that sense is pretty much impossible. It's not completely impossible, I understand, but the struggle is just ridiculously hard. If you want to play a real hero and not some amoral ass-kicker then it's just IMO completely freaking unfair. It shouldn't be that way; this game is to some extent about heroes and making the world a better place. And believe it or not, some people want to play that. It shouldn't be just some DM-included thing like gunpowder weapons or psionics. Being heroic is just as much of a staple of fiction as undead and demons (if not moreso) and I bet I'm not alone for wanting some freaking support for it.

But if you wanted the game to be something more for your heroes than killing and looting, then this sort of thing is pretty much impossible. I don't buy the 'red vs. blue' morality that Voss seems to be pushing at all. I know there's a better way; we've seen it in other sorts of fiction before, goddammit.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

The problem is that Elves don't think of Orcs as people and fellow members of the Brotherhood of Humanoids, they think of them as the enemy! Orcs are not really people, they are mindless killing beasts. And this worldview is backed up by an actual god who comes down and preaches it and reinforced by several thousand years of Orcish aggression. The Elves aren't changing anytime soon, not because it's impossible but because to make it halfway plausible you'd have to architect a shift in societal conditions and institute what amounts to a brainwashing program. You'd have to destroy the Elven culture and replace it with another.

The Alignment system was an attempt to justify the apparent genocides that heroes were committing left and right. But there are no genocides, as of Races of War. You don't kill off races unless they are utter bastards but you do kill enemies, all the fvcking time. That's the whole point of the game. It's not a grand story of Good vs Evil unless you want to call your side that. And even then, it's WAR!

There's a reason why the Treaty of Versailles is considered an abject fucking failure instead of being one of the greatest articles of peace of our time. If you STOP the war, rather than treating the underlying conditions, you're just sowing the seeds for a new conflict.

And even if genocide isn't the goal, this is war. The losers live life worse than they did prior to the war and the winners may or may not be better off than they were before. With every defeat, every generation of orcs are going to live life worse than they did before and perform worse in battle; this cycle is going to continue until the orcs become a marginalized starving loser race like the sea elves.

And that is not happening in a tactical wargame.

Right, that's why D&D, especially 3rd Edition, has given a lot more support for roleplaying.

The current alignment system, as shirak pointed out, is a post hoc band-aid for people who try to reconcile the fact that they're supposedly playing a hero even though they kill and loot.

But you know what? Games like Shadowrun don't NEED an alignment system. You go into the game with the knowledge that most of the time you're going to be playing an evil bastard or a Not-Nice person to some extent. While you can be heroic in Shadowrun, the game doesn't try to justify you choosing to be a complete psychopath.

But D&D, being what it is, has a heroic legacy attached to it. You know, where And I'm not buying at all that the current system is enough to support that.
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

This is sort of changing the subject, but does anyone know of any series where the hero is a real burn the candle at both ends type where ANY free time is spent trying to fix cottages and teach children to read and feed kittens?

This is superhero stuff. Tony Stark's pretty much taken on running the US government instead of being Iron Man. Peter Parker's pretty much Spider-man all the damn time now. Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange, the Fantastic Four. These people don't take breaks. Don't have down time.

But the example you really want? The one who shows you what a super-guilt-trip having super-powers would actually be? Who actually, if memory serves, rescues a damn kitten? Astro City's The Samaritan. Really. He is what you want as your example.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1188024587[/unixtime]]
But as Frank pointed out, being 'good' in that sense is pretty much impossible. It's not completely impossible, I understand, but the struggle is just ridiculously hard. If you want to play a real hero and not some amoral ass-kicker then it's just IMO completely freaking unfair. It shouldn't be that way; this game is to some extent about heroes and making the world a better place. And believe it or not, some people want to play that. It shouldn't be just some DM-included thing like gunpowder weapons or psionics. Being heroic is just as much of a staple of fiction as undead and demons (if not moreso) and I bet I'm not alone for wanting some freaking support for it.

Its because being 'good' in that sense doesn't exist in the setting. It isn't a set of values that people have. As mainstream thought, its a construct of the 20th century, and without the historical and cultural patterns that brought it about, it doesn't make any sense. Specifically, it took roughly 2000 fvcking years for Christians to even start to take those 'turn the other cheek' and 'thou shall not kill' things at all seriously. Its mostly been 'kill the nonbeliever'. Back to D&D, it has to be a DM-included thing, just like gunpowder weapons, because it isn't part of the fvcking genre. It isn't part of the classical definition of hero, its the new, media created 'everyday hero' bullshit that pisses me right off.

Good in that sense is impossible. It isn't a definition of good that anyone has. Societies don't think of conversion as a good thing. And this is seriously an bronze/iron age thing. Conversion wasn't something people did, by and large. You didn't want those filthy strangers worshipping your god. They had theirs, you had yours, and getting them to believe differently was just a complete waste of time, particularly since they all probably existed. Yours was just better. Thats a real part of the problem here. D&D gods don't act like real religions. Its the *need* for believers. The Greek gods didn't try to steal followers from each other, they just happened to be dicks. And they damn well didn't go around telling people to feed the poor and telling folks to help the Persians see the light.

As for the missionaries bit- here's why they are worse. When people come to kill, raid and enslave you, and essentially doing just that. In whole or in part, they're destroying your culture. When missionaries do their thing, they're destroying your culture just the same... but they are firmly convinced (and make every attempt to convince you) that they're doing you a fvcking favor.

And even if genocide isn't the goal, this is war. The losers live life worse than they did prior to the war and the winners may or may not be better off than they were before. With every defeat, every generation of orcs are going to live life worse than they did before and perform worse in battle; this cycle is going to continue until the orcs become a marginalized starving loser race like the sea elves.

Hmm. You're missing a couple pieces of the problem here. A war doesn't affect orcdom as a whole. It affects the particular tribe of orcs that was involved- they're pushed back and have a couple of bad generations. (And are probably absorbed or enslaved by a stronger tribe of orcs). Wars also aren't on the same scale- you are losing a big chunk of the young males, which is bad, but it isn't utterly devastating, intermarriage with others will help alleviate the problem. They certainly aren't the devastating thing that wars became in the late middle ages (or worse, later).

Interestingly, this finally gives us a point to half-orcs. They help to alleviate the losses the orcs suffer when they come into conflict with the better organized races- the orcs are stealing women and raping them to build their numbers back up.

By your logic, the Celtic and Germanic tribes would have died off several thousand years ago, and there wouldn't be any humans *anywhere*

Right, that's why D&D, especially 3rd Edition, has given a lot more support for roleplaying.

The current alignment system, as shirak pointed out, is a post hoc band-aid for people who try to reconcile the fact that they're supposedly playing a hero even though they kill and loot.

It may not support a particular kind of roleplaying that isn't (and hasn't been) a part of the game, but... on the face of it, your sarcasm is a little absurd. There is a lot more RP than there used to be, when advancing through a series of 10x10 rooms, killing things and taking their stuff was the whole of the game.

And yeah, the alignment system is fvcked up. Of course it is- its shoving an absolute in the place of something thats completely point of view. But it isn't a band aid- there isn't a need to justify killing and looting. Thats what heroes do.

I can understand the desire to play something else. But to do it believably, you need actually, require, a different setting with different default assumptions, if not different rules for the game. The normal D&D setting doesn't support this sort of thing, any more than it supports guns. Actually, the rules aren't as important. You can just toss in some diplomacy DCs, maybe work in some Will saves against boring-ass kindness gibber-jabber. But the setting... that you need to rebuild from the ground up.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1187996443[/unixtime]]
Here's what I think a 5th level character should be able to do.

- With a lot of convincing and kindness, convince an aboleth or a beholder that their way of life is wrong and should seek a better way of living.

- After kicking the butts of both a local wild elf tribe and the orc tribes, make them sit down and come up with a lasting peace treaty after hundreds of years of warfare.

- Incite the populace of a good-sized town, including the guards, that they should really reconsider their laws which subjects women to oppression that the Biblical times would wince at. People who aren't at the speech or meeting somehow hear this meme.

- Make a revenant give up its relentless need for revenge.

If a 5th level character can do all that, then why is there even any wars in your campaign world? I mean, you'd get some 15th level diplomat at some point who just achieves world peace, and then nobody cares anymore.

NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

As a free action on someone else's turn, no less.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I'll settle for being able to stab a competent (if evilly incompetent) wizard in the face effectively.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1188066351[/unixtime]]If a 5th level character can do all that, then why is there even any wars in your campaign world? I mean, you'd get some 15th level diplomat at some point who just achieves world peace, and then nobody cares anymore.

It seems like what's needed is a negotiation CR. So at 1st level you can get the butcher and the baker to get along, at 5th level you're getting the Hatfields and the McCoys to group hug, and so on.