So, Dice Towers?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

Hm, always thought it was a recluse that bit my uncle, but after reading this I'm not quite sure. What did happen was it [the poison] ate a great big hole in his arm, and he wore this funny thing that looked like a fishnet stocking over the whole arm for close to a year. Any idea what that might have been? Northern West Virginia by the way. I don't know much about spiders because I don't....like them. Not fear, I've walked down that darkside, fear became anger, and is now borderline hate. Out of the house? Leav'm be. In the house? Smash, burn, drown, slice, cut, KILL!!!!!
And lightning split the sky like a mile tall electrostatic spark, booming like thousands of cubic feet of air undergoing thermal expansion.

I could form a lucid, logical, and wise argument to refute your statement, but instead I'm going to take the moral low-ground and call your mother a whore.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

They're not the only one that does that, but the most likely there.

Spider ranges aren't the best documented things in the world. Heck, bugs in general - I'm always finding bugs outside of their supposed ranges. Or never seeing ones which supposedly exist somewhere.

-Crissa
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey guys, how about them Dice Towers eh?

Doesn't it suck when Spiders start living in your Dice Towers?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Dice towers would be a lot cooler if they were actually fountains. That always irked me about card shufflers, too... You had to pick up the deck and redivide it so the machine could go back to work.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Kaelik wrote:Hey guys, how about them Dice Towers eh?

Doesn't it suck when Spiders start living in your Dice Towers?
suck? are you kidding? I imagine it'd be hilarious to see the spider freak out as you start dumping d6s in there....

part of me would like it made known that it's ashamed the other part of me thinks this...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Anyone who has cleaned their house knows that spiders have a distinct and predictable response based upon their species. They do a threat display and take cover. If n larger than the die, they'll attack it. Web spiders spin, hopping spiders jump, hunting spiders scurry, and there's at least one type of spider which will make noise.

It's not like they do anything new.

-Crissa
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Can't speak to spiders in dice towers, but my usual gaming space does see a stinkbug trying to camouflage itself as part of the terrain once every couple sessions in the warmer months

While they are harmless unless squished or threatened it can be kinda freaky to see what you thought was the shield or pack on the war troll fig across the table start to crawl. I have had a couple of "wait, just how many beers have I had?" moments thanks to them.
Hm, always thought it was a recluse that bit my uncle, but after reading this I'm not quite sure.
If it were still possibly to administer a venom test I would bet real money against it.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/p ... piders.htm

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num ... cluse.html

And as for what else that sort of thing can be, wikipedia says

" In fact, many wounds that are necrotic and diagnosed as brown recluse bites can actually be methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)[6] or simple staphylococcus infections. Other causes include skin cancer, Lyme disease, and other infected insect bites and skin lesions."
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

Hmm, neat! Pondering the idea of spiders in dice towers...I'm not the greatest with spiders other than creatively putting them out of their misery [Think less torturous like those jerks that pull legs off as much as...experimenting with flash freezing because that doesn't mar the wall up with spider guts.] I wonder how well a pet tarantula would take to having part of it's terrarium be built to a dice tower, so it can scuttle around on the outside of the 'castle' or what have you, and you can toss dice in it without actually having to contact the little bugger.
And lightning split the sky like a mile tall electrostatic spark, booming like thousands of cubic feet of air undergoing thermal expansion.

I could form a lucid, logical, and wise argument to refute your statement, but instead I'm going to take the moral low-ground and call your mother a whore.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the tarantula's I've seen are more like vaguely more mobile house plants than anything in the animal kingdom. I'm sure as long as there were no danger of it getting smacked by the dice, and the sound didn't annoy it (maybe place some cushioning between the innards and outards of the dice tower to absorb sound? or use a soft-ish material inside?) the tarantula wouldn't even care...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

In Australia, the white-tail spider is blamed for the necrotic doom.

And Sydney gets the funnel web (they can keep it, too). Which is hardcore enough to chase people off and attack them for getting "in the same room". Presumably because they're stupid, but maybe they just know people will run from them rather than stomp their heads in. If it bites you, it poisons you so hard your parents die.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'd like to own a funnel-web spider, but it's nearly impossible to get one outside of Australia.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.