[D&D] Non-class based magics

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Honestly, it depends on what sort is setting you want.

Immortality doesn't have to be special. If you want to world were a fuckton of people can potentially live forever, you can make it easy for an Alchemist to do. If not, then you make it hard.

The campaign probably won't last long enough for it to matter, at least not without a timeskip.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

<IF(meaningful increase in character power)THEN(yes)>
<ELSE(no)>
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Right now, this applications of this form include
  • Healing Elixirs: heal 3d4 hp (+1d4/5 pts above DC 15) (DC 25
  • Neutralizer: end the effects of toxins in system (DC 35) (counter the effects with a DC 40 elixir)
  • Curative: removes disease and parasites (DC 35)
  • Restorative: counters form alterations, such as Aboleth slime (DC 40
  • Disenchanter: Breaks enchantments and spell effects on imbiber with an effective caster level of 10 (+1 cl/5 pts rolled above 40) (DC 40)
  • Reparative: regenerates lost limbs (DC 45)
  • Longevity: Double life span, accrue mental bonuses but not physical penalties due to age (DC 50)
  • Immortality: Do not die due to old age (also the benefits of Longevity if needed) (DC 55)
  • Galvinization: Immune to disease, poison and death effects (DC 60)
  • Ascension: Become outsider (DC 65)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I can just imagine all the terrible failed experiments getting to the 'Ascension' potion.:p
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hmm... I really need to write up consequences of failed experiments.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So I've got a decent start on this idea here.

I've talked about lesser alchemy, written up DCs and effects for Greater Alchemy elixirs and transmutation of metals. The lesser alchemy bit is mostly "you don't need spellcasting to be an alchemist" and "you can use Craft (Alchemy) 6r to qualify for Brew Potion instead of Caster Level 3, but to make potions you'll need various materials (that I need to write up)."

Divination has various forms assigned to skills and an outline of how it works. I need to write up dcs and what you can learn.

Charms is mostly concerned with gem stones and the stuff you get by carrying various precious and semi-precious stones in your pocket. Some of it is pulled from Encyclopedia Arcana from 2nd, some is pulled from metaphysics, because fuck you EA I am not giving people invisibility for carrying around a stone worth a few pounds of gold.
Eventually I want sigils and geometries, as well as non-mineral charms. Totemic magic will go here too, I guess.

Finally, I've got "Innate Vulnerabilities" like using salt to form a barrier against spirits or make them dissipate for a while.

Please someone take a look over what I have so far and tell me what you think.