General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

deanruel87 wrote:
Wall of Stone
Cloudkill
I'm actually really curious about this. How would you do this do you think? Wall of stone's area is really unimpressive on the scale of covering a city but you could work on it every day. Each day you could cover 20 more feet with a half inch thick wall and a cloudkill beyond it. They are both coming out of the same spell slot and your least available one at that but lets assume you had nearly unlimited time. How would you do it? Size of wall, length of cloudkill, how are you getting people and goods in and out, etc.
How is this even really a wall? At 1/2" thick, it only has 8 hp and a break DC of 21 per 5' section. I'd think the orcs would be able to brute force damage it, through the 8 hardness, with sling stones or thrown hammers or something.

Do the orcs have someone that can Gust of Wind the Cloudkill?
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

violence in the media wrote:
deanruel87 wrote:
Wall of Stone
Cloudkill
I'm actually really curious about this. How would you do this do you think? Wall of stone's area is really unimpressive on the scale of covering a city but you could work on it every day. Each day you could cover 20 more feet with a half inch thick wall and a cloudkill beyond it. They are both coming out of the same spell slot and your least available one at that but lets assume you had nearly unlimited time. How would you do it? Size of wall, length of cloudkill, how are you getting people and goods in and out, etc.
How is this even really a wall? At 1/2" thick, it only has 8 hp and a break DC of 21 per 5' section. I'd think the orcs would be able to brute force damage it, through the 8 hardness, with sling stones or thrown hammers or something.

Do the orcs have someone that can Gust of Wind the Cloudkill?
They probably have at least some low level casters that would be capable of casting that spell.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Pathfinder introduced some mass combat rules in Ultimate Campaign.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/o ... ass-combat

Are they any good?
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I have not read them and no.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Things that strike me as weird.

Since the army statistics are purely based on CR + special features:
an army of lvl 1 fighters has the exact same stats as an army of lvl 1 druids, except druids have animal companions, which give them a +1 bonus on attack and nothing else.
+
Spellcasting: If an army's units can use magic (from either spell-like abilities or actual spellcasting), increase its OM and DV by the spell level of the highest-level spell the individual unit can cast. If any of the army's offensive spells has a range greater than touch, the army can make ranged attacks.
So since gnomes get speak with animal as a SLA, they are the best army race.
Last edited by ishy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.