[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 55 - Deathmoor

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Re:

Post by SGamerz »

Queen of Swords wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:40 am
Heh. "Assuming you have nothing better to do."
It's actually a cue to the fact that we may indeed have something better to do if we'd unlocked a certain event yesterday. But yeah, the wording does kind of bury the book.
There are various articles you can buy from the stalls in the market and each costs 2 Cold Pieces. Choose as many as you like but you would be advised not to spend all you have. Remember to deduct the appropriate amount of money from your Adventure Sheet as you accumulate items.

a large phial of sallow-seed oil
a needle and some thread
2 meals' worth of Provisions
a tinderbox and flint
a pair of old boots
an antique gilded arrow
a lodestone
two silver pearls
some rope
a throwing knife
a fishing net
a copper pendant

Once you have finished shopping, you can leave Arion to begin your quest or you can make your way down to the docks.
Every item in the market costs 1/6 of a kingdom. The kidnappers should have asked for the market as ransom.

We have 10 gold, enough for 5 items at the most. What do we want to buy, and where do we go after that?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 55 - Deathmoor

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Definitely take the arrow (obviously magical) and boots (probably magical). We have 10 Provisions so I don’t think we need more. I’d go with the rope, the pendant and the net for the last three?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

OK, rope is always a must. Besides that, I'd get the lodestone, oil, throwing knife and silver pearls, which could probably be traded for something else valuable down the line.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

If anyone is interested in using a Cape Feather to go to the other tavern in order to trigger the Mario reference, I am willing to change my vote listed in the below paragraph to this.

I vote to buy the rope, arrow, boots, pendant, and net.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Please also do vote on where you wish to go after making a purchase.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Docks, we're in no hurry to set out on the quest.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to head out to the docks as well.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Rope, tinderbox and flint, net...and I think the throwing knife and lodestone. And to the docks.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Rope and fishing net are the only items with clear majority.

Arrow, boots, lodestone, throwing knife and pendant each got 2 votes, and we can only afford 3 out of 5 with the gold we have. By my house rule, you can trade the scarlet pearl for another 10 gold to make the extra purchases, but note that it leaves us with nothing to purchase extra lives if we fail later.

Giving this a bit more time to be resolved. If there's no resolution by tonight, I will proceed with only the 2 confirmed items.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Waluigi purchases a rope and a fishing net for the price of 1/3 of the kingdom, then heads for the docks.
The dockland area is a great place for gathering information. Boats put in here from all over Khul, and even from other continents. As an experienced sailor yourself, you have no difficulty in being accepted by a group of gnarled fishermen who are mending nets on one of the quays. You pass the time of day together discussing the weather before you turn to matters of wider interest. But the group is beginning to disperse: the tide is right for sailing You can ask them if they know anything about Princess Telessa's kidnap, where you can find some more scarlet pearls, whether Fang-zen has left Arion yet, or what they know about the gold-mining business.
What do we ask about?

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Waluigi
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 14/16
LUCK 10/11
Equipment: Sword, leather armour, scarlet pearl, Potion of Fortune, King Jonthane's letter (number '88'), rope, fishing net
Provisions: 10
Gold: 6
Boons: Cape Feather (x2), Magic Mushroom (x1)
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

It makes sense to ask about the kidnapped Princess.

(I like how we can not bother with that and go into gold mining instead)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to ask about the kidnapped Princess.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Thaluikhain wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:25 pm

Yes, we don't seem particularly worried about the Princess, do we? But ask about her anyway; we'll probably have to get on with this business of finding her at some point or another.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:25 pm

To be fair, I can see modern investigators inquiring about matters of the named ransom by the kidnappers as part of their investigation. I don't think that's too out of the blue. Asking about scarlet pearls feels more random with regards to your quest (although I guess there may be a higher chance of those fisherfolk knowing more about that than about the princess's kidnap).
Two of the fishermen look at each other. "We can't help you," one of them says, but we know a man who can. You'd better visit Baron den Snau; he has a finger in every evil pie in north-east Khul, if you ask me." They give you directions to the Baron's mansion. If you think it's worth visiting the Baron, turn to 273; otherwise, you can visit the market-place, if you still need to, or leave Arion and go in search of the kidnappers.
Do we want to visit this random Baron?
Queen of Swords
Prince

Of course we want to visit random people. The Baron seems more interesting than the Princess anyway.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to visit the Baron.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Visit the baron.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You wait until evening before making your way to the Baron's mansion, as you figure that he's more likely to be in then; you also hope that the dark of night will enable you to move around more safely. The mansion is in the grand part of town where narrow alleys and busy streets and squares give way to leafy lanes and even the occasional field and copse. One such copse is unfortunately infested with Gutterlags: hyena-like scavengers which live in the suburbs but come down into the towns and cities at night to forage among the sewers for scraps of meat. Individually they prefer their meat cold and putrid, but a pack of Gutterlags, such as the one that is sneaking through the trees towards you, will attack live meat like yourself. You can fight the pack as if it were a single enemy because, once you have killed a few of them, the rest will scatter and slink back into the trees. But you cannot possibly defend yourself against all of them at once, and every even-numbered Attack Round you must reduce your STAMINA by 1 point, whatever else happens during that round.

GUTTERLAGS SKILL 7 STAMINA 16

If you win, turn to 310.
Waluigi doesn't seem like a veteran adventurer. Any experienced adventurer would know that if you want to visit someone who's probably evil, you should do so in broad daylight, because evil people are likely more powerful at night in fantasy.

These things seem exactly like hyenas, so I'm not sure why Waterfield went to the trouble of coming out with an alternate name for them...

COMBAT LOG:
Gutterlags 17, Waluigi 13. Waluigi is at 12.
Gutterlags 13, Waluigi 16. Gutterlags are at 14. Waluigi is at 11.
Gutterlags 15, Waluigi 20. Gutterlags are at 12.
Gutterlags 15, Waluigi 17. Gutterlags are at 10. Waluigi is at 10.
Gutterlags 11, Waluigi 20. Gutterlags are at 8.
Gutterlags 9, Waluigi 18. Gutterlags are at 6. Waluigi is at 9.
Gutterlags 13, Waluigi 16. Gutterlags are at 4.
Gutterlags 17, Waluigi 15. Waluigi is at 6.
Gutterlags 15, Waluigi 14. Waluigi is at 4.

Whelp, the mandatory damage every other round combined with some bad rolls puts Waluigi at risk. Do we want to use LUCK to increase damage output/reduce damage taken?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to use Luck to increase damage output and reduce damage taken.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Agreed. It would be a pretty sad but fitting end to this if we got killed before even really embarking on the quest.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

COMBAT CONTINUES:
Gutterlags 14, Waluigi 16. Luck Test roll = 6 (Lucky). Gutterlags are defeated. Waluigi is at 3.

Our hero survives with 3 STAMINA remaining!
You are extra careful for the rest of your trek up to the Baron's house; the yellow sandstone of the mansion seems warm and welcoming in the glow of the late sun. The house is surrounded by a high wall. You can either pose as a businessman and approach the front gate boldly, or you can look for another way in.
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 3/16
LUCK 9/11
Equipment: Sword, leather armour, scarlet pearl, Potion of Fortune, King Jonthane's letter (number '88'), rope, fishing net
Provisions: 10
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to eat 3 Provisions to get Waluigi's Stamina back to 15, and to look for another way in.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second that.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Waluigi wolfs down 3 meals while he takes a look around the outside of the mansion.
The wall surrounding the Baron's house offers an unbroken barrier. There are no side doors. You can either return to the main gate, if you haven't already failed to get in that way, or you can try to climb the wall.
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 15/16
LUCK 9/11
Provisions: 7
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

We have a rope, and almost full stamina, so try climbing.