You do fucking win at D&D.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

virgil wrote:
Mr. GC wrote:Yes, because those orcs really aren't trying to kill your character. Oh wait, they totally are, and you are herp de derp hurr durr.
Except you don't even follow the damn rules. You essentially never have a CR 9 monster actually use the stats of a roc, or a CR 7 use the numbers of a dire bear; their AC is going to be five higher, their damage is going to be half-again as high, their bonus to hit will be higher. You'll throw a monster with 22 AC, 90hp, +14/+14 (2d8+9) attack routines, and their lowest save is +7; and you'll say it's a CR 5, and you'd consider any level 7 player a basket weaver if they can't reliably solo four of them in a closet.
All I hear is the sound of you choking on dicks, your own failure, and your father. Not necessarily in that order.

Anyways I have no idea what the hell monster you're talking about, but here's a decent level 7 opponent for you to nerd rage about and cry about how impossible it is while good groups are taking this guy down and his friends no problem:

116 HP, AC 28/12/28, DR 1/-, attacks at +25/+25/+20 for 2d6+23 a smack and 20 foot reach, and can also get some chain trip action going... lucky for you he couldn't fit in Dungeoncrashing. Saves are only 11/11/10, so if you can't hit the weak point (touch AC) for massive damage that's a good second choice.

Or you can just kill him straight through AC 28 if you don't suck. Either way.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
Kaelik wrote:...the party having even a chance of dying is bad, not good.
:rofl:
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Mr. GC wrote:Yes, because those orcs really aren't trying to kill your character. Oh wait, they totally are, and you are competing to not make that happen.
See, man, a true competition is not possible unless something actually is at stake and participation is NOT its own reward. Vidjagames like Dark Souls are to real competition what onanism is to sex - a substitute for those who find the real thing too hard. And thinking you have a hax skills in a game without an objective standard of competency is to computer games what having impotent erotic thoughts is to onanism,
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

virgil wrote:Except you don't even follow the damn rules. You essentially never have a CR 9 monster actually use the stats of a roc, or a CR 7 use the numbers of a dire bear; their AC is going to be five higher, their damage is going to be half-again as high, their bonus to hit will be higher. You'll throw a monster with 22 AC, 90hp, +14/+14 (2d8+9) attack routines, and their lowest save is +7; and you'll say it's a CR 5, and you'd consider any level 7 player a basket weaver if they can't reliably solo four of them in a closet.
This is a good lead in from me to restate my own take on this. It's unfortunate that GC is still posting since he's enabling nocker and company by giving them a ready made strawman.

There is a real baseline characters need to meet to actually play D&D. If you stack together >4 characters with a better than 50 SGT clear rating then they should be able to clear the standard 4 encounter day without anyone dying and thus be able to play the game as written.

Now the basketweavers do not acknowledge this fact. Or rather that they can not admit they are unwilling or unable to play D&D. They are in fact hostile to those who wish to play D&D when they sit down to play D&D calling them rules lawyer munchkins. These people should be the targets of them same sort of scorn that is unjustifiably leveled an optimizers because they actually do piss in peoples cheerios and make the game less fun for everyone.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Lord Mistborn wrote:Now the basketweavers do not acknowledge this fact. Or rather that they can not admit they are unwilling or unable to play D&D. They are in fact hostile to those who wish to play D&D when they sit down to play D&D calling them rules lawyer munchkins. These people should be the targets of them same sort of scorn that is unjustifiably leveled an optimizers because they actually do piss in peoples cheerios and make the game less fun for everyone.
This is something I agree with and get behind. Being better than 50% at the SGT in practice is fine and to be expected, which combined with action economy in a party will make permanent character death rare enough to have a real campaign.

But in the case of GC/Roy, it's like some kind of inbred mix of Stop Having Fun Guy & God Modder. By God's Teeth, he's an artless, crook-pated, churlish, rump-fed, elf-skinned puttock! That is not a proper CR 7 monster. These are CR 7. That thing is drastically tougher than a young red dragon or even a huge scorpion that's locked in the closet and won initiative. GC thinks it's trivial to fight your evil literal duplicates, for Pete's sake!

ADDENDUM: Now, if that were to be the expected level of challenge in a game, then making your character be some kind of munchkin abomination is fine. That is very obviously a house-rule in the campaign, which all players need to be aware of, where you don't fight a chimaera but instead some kind of ultima-troll. But in a campaign where you use the Monster Manual and refrain from deviating too far from actual system expectations, Roy's characters are just as disruptive as the multiclass monk/bard who insists on interpretive dance in combat.
Last edited by virgil on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Lord Mistborn wrote:It's unfortunate that GC is still posting since he's enabling nocker and company by giving them a ready made strawman.
Yeah, man, it's weird. I'm starting to think that GC is actually me in disguise. It's all an elaborate plan to make my preferences seem more popular and/or make me look like a psychic. I'm such a genius.

In other news, "SGT50" is my new favorite non-existant certification. I kind of want to make it an actual part of character creation, like:
  1. Make the character's sheet
  2. Write a description
  3. Fill in the 10 Minutes background
  4. Pass the SGT with your character at level 5, 10 and 15. Show your work.
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

virgil wrote:Herpaderp. That is not a proper CR 7 monster. Herpaderp.
Sure it is. It's a basic monster with a few class levels added. I didn't even abuse nonassociated rules. It's also partially nullified by flight, only doing +24/+24/+19 for 1d8+18 each at range.

Yes, it'd slaughter gimps all day but what's wrong with that? They had it coming.
That thing is drastically tougher than a young red dragon or even a huge scorpion that's locked in the closet and won initiative. GC thinks it's trivial to fight your evil literal duplicates, for Pete's sake!
A dragon would beat the fuck out of it, and would also beat the fuck out of anyone that could barely kill this guy.

And even in a normal game the gimps die constantly. The only question is are the non gimps having fun? And in a normal game, they're not, they're just facerolling everything and in a good game they actually have to try... which comes right back to that Dark Souls video.
FrankTrollman wrote:The Melee Fighter's contribution to the game is that Cleric gets to see less of the future and summon less angels. Seriously, that's his contribution. It's not harmless fun. It's showing up to restaurants without your wallet and expecting your friends to pay your way. For fun.
K wrote:Rogue is a bad choice because the game can't handle a whole party that uses stealth or a whole party doing sneak attack.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

virgil wrote:But in the case of GC/Roy, it's like some kind of inbred mix of Stop Having Fun Guy & God Modder. By God's Teeth, he's an artless, crook-pated, churlish, rump-fed, elf-skinned puttock! That is not a proper CR 7 monster. These are CR 7. That thing is drastically tougher than a young red dragon or even a huge scorpion that's locked in the closet and won initiative. GC thinks it's trivial to fight your evil literal duplicates, for Pete's sake!
I'm guessing that the numbers of GC's monsters are inflated by them universally having access to stuff like Law Devotion. Once again I'd really like to see some full statblocks from GC. I've been known to crank out some optimized mobs in my time but his numbers still look above and beyond the standard.
nockermensch wrote:In other news, "SGT50" is my new favorite non-existant certification. I kind of want to make it an actual part of character creation, like:
  1. Make the character's sheet
  2. Write a description
  3. Fill in the 10 Minutes background
  4. Pass the SGT with your character at level 5, 10 and 15. Show your work.
Listen nineball if your party dies to all the monsters than you're going to have a hard time playing a game largely about killing monsters. So when you're rolling up a character it may be a good idea to make sure that you can solo at least half the monsters in your CR bracket (i.e. actually make a CR X PC).
Mr. GC wrote: Sure it is. It's a basic monster with a few class levels added. I didn't even abuse nonassociated rules. It's also partially nullified by flight, only doing +24/+24/+19 for 1d8+18 each at range.

Yes, it'd slaughter gimps all day but what's wrong with that? They had it coming.
I'm guessing that's a Skullcrusher Oger Barbarian but it would be nice if you would post the full statblock for it. Like I've said it's possible to optimize the monsters but doing so does create something harder than "standard D&D". People have an obligation to play charters that can actually play D&D but if you're going to raise the difficulty that something that should be spelled out before everyone sits down.
Last edited by Mistborn on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Lord Mistborn wrote:I'm guessing that the numbers of GC's monsters are inflated by them universally having access to stuff like Law Devotion. Once again I'd really like to see some full statblocks from GC. I've been known to crank out some optimized mobs in my time but his numbers still look above and beyond the standard.
That guy has zero devotion feats. I don't even think we've done a Law Devotion encounter at all lately. Plenty of Knowledge Devotion though.
I'm guessing that's a Skullcrusher Oger Barbarian but it would be nice if you would post the full statblock for it. Like I've said it's possible to optimize the monsters but doing so does create something harder than "standard D&D". People have an obligation to play charters that can actually play D&D but if you're going to raise the difficulty that something that should be spelled out before everyone sits down.
Negative. It's a minotaur Barb 1/Fighter 2. Most of the melee brutes manage similar numbers though.

And before anyone says HURR DURR HOUSERULES... in a RAW game these enemies become proportionally more deadly as their damage decreases by only a little or not at all, meanwhile PCs have much lower HP.

And you're missing the point, that being that gimps die anyways so all that matters is how the non gimps are doing. And that in turn means stuff like this.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Unless you housruled Fighter into giving all good saves I'm a bit at a loss for where 3-5 points of Will and Reflex are coming from.

In the intrest of having some full statblocks being posted this the character I prepared for GC's game
Seikou (AL: LN)
Human Martial Evoker 5/ Human Paragon 3/ Spell Sword 1
Str 8 Dex 16 (18) Con 16 (18) Int 20 (22) Wis 10 Cha 8
Initiative +9 Speed 30ft
Bab +5 Ray +12
HP 86 AC 21 Touch 15 FF 17 Saves Fort +10 Ref +10 Will +14
Feats:Improved Initiative (B), Combat Casting (B) Empower Spell, Twin Spell, Split Ray, Arcane Thesis (Scorching Ray), Arcane Thesis (Fireball) Elven Spell Lore (Scorching Ray) Knowledge Devotion
Skills: Craft (Calligraphy) +10 Listen +13 Knowledge (Arcana) +19 Knowledge (Nature)
+19 Knowledge (The Planes) +19 Spot + 13 Spellcraft +19
Spells {barred schools necromancy, and enchantment.}
Spell book Nerveskitter, Shield, Protection From Evil, Magic Missile, Scorching Ray. Craft Magic Tattoo, Mirror Image, Fly, Heart of Water, Greater Mage Armor, Dispel Magic, Greater Mirror Image Heart of Earth, Greater Blink, Contact Other Plane
Items: (3) Empowered Spell Shards (Scorching Ray) Headband of Int +2 Belt of Battle Amulet of Health +2 Cloak of Resistance +3 Lesser Rod of Extend (5) Healing Belts 4,750 of CMT component
Ring of Protection.

Spells Prepared (4/6+1/6+1/4+1/3+1/2+1)
1st – Nerveskitter (2) Shield (2) Silent Image, Protection From Evil Magic Missile
2nd – Scorching Ray (2) (Fire) (2) (Cold) Mirror Image (2) Create Magic Tattoo
3rd – Heart of Water, Greater Mage Armor, Fly, Dispel Magic, Split Scorching Ray (Sonic)
4th – Greater Mirror Image Split Scorching Ray (Fire) (Cold), Empowerd Fireball
5th – Greater Blink, Twinned Scorching Ray (2) (Sonic)
as well as my best guess at what the "shadow demon" the people have been wanking over looks like.
Greater Bargest Truenamer 6 {CR 8)
DETECTION – [Mindsight 100ft Darkvision 60ft], Listen +18 Spot +18 Init +3; Aura ;
DEFENSES – AC 25, touch 12, flat-footed 22; hp 136 (15 HD); Miss %; DR 10/magic; Immune; Resist; Weakness
FORT +12, REF +11, WILL +14;
ACTIONS – Spd 40ft.; Melee Bite +24 (1d8+7) 2 Claws (1d8+3); Ranged + (); Space # ft.; Reach # ft.; Base Atk +13; Grapple +24; Atk Options; SA ;
Truespeaking (+45 truespeek) (DC 23) Utterances
Lexicon of the Evolved Mind- Inertia Surge, Universal Aptitude, Speed of The Zepher, Strike of Might, Temporal Twist, Energy Negation Lexicon of the Crafted Tool- Fortify Armor
Spell-like Abilities blink, levitate, misdirection, rage, invisibility sphere 1/day charm monster, crushing despair, dimension door, mass bulls strength, mass enlarge person.
; Combat Gear
SQ
STR ,24 DEX ,17 CON ,18 INT 24, WIS ,16 CHA ,18
FEATS: Item Familiar, Power Attack, Multiattack, Law Devotion. Knowledge Devotion, Quicken Utterance
SKILLS: Truespeek +45 Knowledge (Arcana) +25 Knowledge (Religion) +25 Knowladge (local) +28 Knowledge (Nature) +25
POSSESSIONS: Lesser Amulet of the Silver Tongue (Item Familiar +15 to Truspeek ) Mithral Chain Shirt
this is only my best guess though
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Not my game.

Also the shadow demon is stronger than that. You got the Truespeak number exactly right though.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Mr. GC wrote:Not my game.

Also the shadow demon is stronger than that. You got the Truespeak number exactly right though.
I prepared the character for your game then you kicked me out due to internet drama.

Wait wat you said that item familiars were banned when I asked about them. I don't suppose you mind posting the full statblock then since item familiar is the only way I can think of to get a skill that high.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Lord Mistborn wrote:
Mr. GC wrote:Not my game.

I prepared the character for your game then you kicked me out due to internet drama.

Wait wat you said that item familiars were banned when I asked about them. I don't suppose you mind posting the full statblock then since item familiar is the only way I can think of to get a skill that high.
Nope, it's still not my game.

I did say that, and you assumed them anyways.

That said 18 HD, 28 Int, +10 item, MW tool, skill focus is an easy 45... buffs can make it higher.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Mr. GC wrote:Nope, it's still not my game.

That said 18 HD, 28 Int, +10 item, MW tool, skill focus is an easy 45... buffs can make it higher.
So 3 more Truenamer levels? That being said how exactly is it applying a large buff to it's melee attack to "nova" anyway.

It may not be your game but you still have enough control over it to kick me out because I disagreed with you on the internet.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Mr. GC wrote:Yes, because those orcs really aren't trying to kill your character. Oh wait, they totally are, and you are competing to not make that happen.

You did manage to hit on just why tabletop gaming is so near universally bad. This notion that "It's a cooperative game, so it's cooperative in all ways at all times and therefore people are adverse to good play."

In actuality it's cooperative because you work with your party, but you still work against those enemies, over there. And that's where effectiveness comes in.
Competitive does not mean "there are things which can make you lose." That is not the definition of competitive. That is the immediate consequence of any activity that has a reachable failure state, which includes competitive and cooperative and singleplayer gaming (not in their entirety; Dark Souls, for example, absolutely cannot be failed. Nothing you can do results in the inability to win the game). So first I'm going to explain why the things you're saying suck, then I'm going to tell you what your argument actually is (because yes, I actually do know it better than you at this point, and yes, that's hilarious). Spoiler: then I'm going to make fun of it. Sounds a lot like a strawman, but that would imply I'm not right. And I am.

A) For a game to be competitive, there have to be two (or more) players who are playing adversarially because the game has an underlying mechanism such that at least some of one player's victories are another player's failures and vice versa. It's... a lot more nuanced than that, really, but that's good enough for this. A player is some agent that makes decisions with respect to the game. Those orcs are not making decisions. They don't actually exist. They are not players. The GM is making those decisions, and he is a player. You cannot compete with them. You can overcome them or fail to overcome them, but you can't compete with them.

Until you are invaded or go duelling or otherwise engage in PvP (or accept some metachallenge that involves competing with another player, i.e. first to punch Gwyn to death from new chars, measured in game time, GO), Dark Souls is a non-competitive game. Since you just went on a bitch-fit about how non-competitive attitude is tied into why tabletop gaming is terrible easy-mode bullshit, and are also using Dark souls as the goto example of your HARD MODE ONLY, BASKETWEAVERS, I'm going to have to come to a familiar conclusion: you have no idea what you're talking about. So, let's recap a bit. Dark Souls is a non-competitive game that you can't lose. You are using it as an example to defend your style of playing D&D, which you specifically claim is neither of those things because they are both bad. That's beautiful, man. That is fucking beautiful. I am in god damn awe.

Anyway, let's go back to D&D. Since you don't think the players are competing, the only remaining competition can be with the MC. That means you think the MC wins when the players fail an encounter. Alright. So, now that we've established that D&D is competitive by virtue of the MC trying to kill the players and that any good MC never sandbags himself... how the fuck does every session of D&D not end in 'that orc was a shapeshifted uberdemon, you die.' Seriously. We're talking about a competitive game where the MC's goal is to win by killing the players. You have to start showing us the rules that prevent the MC from doing bullshit like that. Because it's a competitive game that the MC is trying to win, apparently. Have fun writing a new CR system and encounter rules that actually work to regulate the MC's role in this competitive D&D, I guess?

B) Here's the part where I help you out. Your core argument has nothing to do with competitive vs cooperative vs single player. Your core argument has nothing to do with the ability to permanently lose the game. You keep bringing these things up as examples of Bad Things That Ruin Games, but that's because your core argument isn't coherent and your examples make this really obvious by doing all the things you hate. An actual example of a game that matches your demands is a multiplayer Rogue-like where death is character deletion and only one person (or small party) gets to reach the end of the dungeon.

So, let's address the three separate concepts you're pooling together:
1) Difficulty; this is how difficult it is to reach a game's victory state (or overcome individual challenges).
2) Competitiveness; this is whether another agent is in the gameworld making structured decisions within some rules and your loss is their win and vice versa.
3) Failure; this is whether or not a game has actual failure states or if instead you just loop the same or different challenges over and over until you overcome them.

Dark Souls is sort of difficult, it is largely not competitive, and it has no failure (you just loop challenges until you get past them). D&D is who-fucking-knows on difficulty, it is not competitive at all as played typically, and it has failure (character death). So what you're actually talking about is pretty obviously difficulty. You don't want D&D to be competitive (that doesn't even make fucking sense, and your examples refute it), you don't really care whether failure is a permanent state or whatever (your examples refute that, too, unless you delete saves or something when you die in Dark Souls). All you really want is for D&D to be difficult. Precisely, you want it to be exactly as difficult as it can be for you to still be able to reliably beat it, and you don't want it to be any easier because people not on your level don't deserve D&D or something hilarious like that.

tl;dr the only thing you're actually saying is that games should have only one difficulty, and it should be the difficulty GC plays them at. You aren't even arguing that you want difficult options (perfectly legitimate; 'I personally want to play games which challenge me.'), you don't want anyone else to have access to options you wouldn't personally pick. I cannot make a parody more extreme than that. I seriously fucking can't. That's it. If I wanted to, the spoiled, infantile brat with the "MY WAY OR NO ONE GETS TO PLAY" ultimatum is what I would go for, but that is what you actually are. And worse; you revel in it with a smug, shit-eating grin on your face as though your incessant whining about how people don't play your way is actually a gift to the world.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Edit: Response to Mistborn was here, but hey, we made a whole thread for this. I'll just move it there.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Here is an article on the psychology of trolling.

It's frankly the only thing that should be considered relevant to this discussion.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Lord Mistborn wrote:
Mr. GC wrote:Nope, it's still not my game.

So 3 more Truenamer levels? That being said how exactly is it applying a large buff to it's melee attack to "nova" anyway.

It may not be your game but you still have enough control over it to kick me out because I disagreed with you on the internet.
Notice it has Mindsight? What does Mindsight require? What does it not have naturally?

Now go look at the Truenamer utterances. You should be able to work it all out easily, even if these losers cannot.

And actually no kicking took place. You asked her to join then drug your feet about it for a while, and then you pulled this stunt so I warned her not to accept you after having recommended you. But since you never actually said anything else to her and never said anything else about the game...

That having been said, back to watching the idiots make fools of themselves.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Mr. GC wrote: Notice it has Mindsight? What does Mindsight require? What does it not have naturally?

Now go look at the Truenamer utterances. You should be able to work it all out easily, even if these losers cannot.

And actually no kicking took place. You asked her to join then drug your feet about it for a while, and then you pulled this stunt so I warned her not to accept you after having recommended you. But since you never actually said anything else to her and never said anything else about the game...

I've looked over the utterences and as far as I can tell only Strike of Might gives a temporary boost to melee attacks as for the mindsight I can't think of any templates that give telepathy off the top of my head I'll have to look over my books again. Though that does narrow it down
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

For fuck's sake: he's talking about masterwork tools for Truespeaking. Those things don't exist. There can't be a masterwork tool for a skill that doesn't use tools. You can't apply the masterwork property to something that never existed in the first place.

Playing his guessing games is a waste of fucking time, because the "answer" is just going to be flipping retarded ("use 15% of your daily spell slot levels in order to get a modest AC bonus for less than a minute a day!") or simply fail the laugh test on first principles ("and then we get a masterwork version of an item that I cannot describe in non-game mechanical terms because it does not and cannot exist!"). What we're looking at is someone who wanders around the GitP forum and finds theoretical optimization that people over there think is awesome and then wanks to it.

At this point, I do not believe that GC is Roy. While Roy's arguments suffered a lot from begging the question (his tirade against sundering could be summated "My personal houserules make Sunder bad in all cases, therefore Sunder is bad in all cases under RAW"), he was at least able to see the profound disconnect between GitP and BG groupthink and the actual game. This "GC" fellow cannot, which means that he is probably a liar who attempted to use the anonymity of the internet to claim what respect Roy has (however grudgingly) earned.

-Username17
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

Lord Mistborn wrote:
Mr. GC wrote: Notice it has Mindsight? What does Mindsight require? What does it not have naturally?

I've looked over the utterences and as far as I can tell only Strike of Might gives a temporary boost to melee attacks as for the mindsight I can't think of any templates that give telepathy off the top of my head I'll have to look over my books again. Though that does narrow it down
You're not looking hard enough then, and are also mixing up thoughts.

Telepathy isn't from a template. The damage boost... Understand now?

Now that I think about it this guy could have a lot more nova potential if he used his wand slots on nova stuff instead of skill boosting stuff, but that's a trade off instead of a straight gain, so I'm not going to rewrite it to utilize Divine Sacrifice/Blade of Blood in future appearances.
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

FrankTrollman wrote:For fuck's sake: he's talking about masterwork tools for Truespeaking. Those things don't exist. There can't be a masterwork tool for a skill that doesn't use tools. You can't apply the masterwork property to something that never existed in the first place.
For fuck's sake: he's sperging about a +2 bonus on a check in which the minimum possible result is 44 without considering said +2 bonus, without considering the +5 bonus from a different effect, up to +5 from another different effect, and +7 from yet another different effect when most of the target numbers are going to be 31 or 36 + 2 per subsequent use.

Which means that even if he's totally right, even though you can make up bullshit MW tools for any skill even if it wouldn't make sense right in the rules, he's still a fucking dumbass because this thing can still spam its abilities far longer than it'd ever need to before encountering any chance of failure whatsoever.
Playing his guessing games is a waste of fucking time, because the "answer" is just going to be flipping retarded ("use 15% of your daily spell slot levels in order to get a modest AC bonus for less than a minute a day!") or simply fail the laugh test on first principles ("and then we get a masterwork version of an item that I cannot describe in non-game mechanical terms because it does not and cannot exist!"). What we're looking at is someone who wanders around the GitP forum and finds theoretical optimization that people over there think is awesome and then wanks to it.
Ah yes, the Sorcerer thing. Since you insist, I'll go ahead and smack you down for that now.

Now see, I clearly stated you'd only use this in the fights that count, not routine encounters, and so you'd only be using this four times a day if you had four hard mode fights in a day.

So you're Koth, of the non shit tier variety. Your spells per day are: 4th: 4/4, 3rd: 6/6, 2nd: 7/7, 1st: 8/8, 0: 6/6.

You cast one Mage Armor in the morning, 16 hour duration, and go ahead and preload that Divine Companion.

Your spells remaining now looks like: 4th: 4/4. 3rd: 4/6. 2nd: 7/7. 1st: 5/8.

Yup, you're totally not able to handle a fight now! You totally don't have more spell slots than you could actually possibly use in any single fight left by far!

So you encounter some gimps. You cast a pre battle Shield, because you don't know they are gimps yet and then you fire off a nice Wings of STFU before realizing they're not actually a threat, and so you just finish up the sweep with some resourceless attacks.

So you're now at 4th: 3/4. 3rd: 4/6. 2nd: 7/7. 1st: 4/8.

Now let's ignore that Koth is an NPC, and let us also assume he assumes every encounter is a threat even when it isn't.

Well, after the second team of gimps gets swept he's at 4th: 2/4. 3rd: 2/6. 2nd: 6/7. 1st: 3/8.

And the third? 4th: 1/4. 3rd: 2/6. 2nd: 2/7. 1st: 2/8.

And the fourth: 4th: 0/4. 3rd: 0/6. 2nd: 1/7. 1st: 1/8.

Almost out, but not quite even if he plays very stupidly.

Of course if Koth was a PC, and not an NPC, he'd regularly fight a sequence of fights and not just one, but he could also save his super buff for the fights that count and not always use it. And when he gets a throwaway encounter, like with the gimps, he could just chill and let his buddies deal with it sometimes, so the Koth approach would actually work better in an actual game where he's the PC, and not an opponent.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Mr. GC wrote:Ah yes, the Sorcerer thing. Since you insist, I'll go ahead and smack my dick now.

Now see, I clearly stated that I suck cock and like to bite, as a routine encounter, and so I'd only be doing this four times a day if you had four hard cocks in a day.
Mr. GC wrote:Almost out, but not quite even though I play very stupidly.

Of course if Koth was a PC, and not an NPC, he'd regularly be in a sequence of Mary Sue fanfiction and not just one, but he could also save his Shamwow for the stains that count and not always use it. And when I write in a throwaway spills, like with the gimps, he could just chill and let his Bounty buddies deal with it sometimes, but then that approach wouldn't let me feel better than other people in an actual game where he's the PC that interacts with other people, and not an opponent.
Last edited by virgil on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Mr. GC
Master

Post by Mr. GC »

You sure do like rewriting my posts to talk about dicks. No virgil, you cannot ride my swing set. Just because you are a pussy doesn't mean you have one, or that I'd like to put anything in it.

So how's that basket weaving working out for you? Got any of your gimps swept lately?
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

Yeah you gay basketweaver why do you weave so many gay baskets? Why are your baskets so gay, Virgil? Basketweaver. Gay. Dicks.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

FrankTrollman wrote: At this point, I do not believe that GC is Roy. While Roy's arguments suffered a lot from begging the question (his tirade against sundering could be summated "My personal houserules make Sunder bad in all cases, therefore Sunder is bad in all cases under RAW"), he was at least able to see the profound disconnect between GitP and BG groupthink and the actual game. This "GC" fellow cannot, which means that he is probably a liar who attempted to use the anonymity of the internet to claim what respect Roy has (however grudgingly) earned.

-Username17
If it's not Roy it sure sounds a lot like him. Take a look at the second post in this thread. If they're not the same person they sound tremendously alike.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.