Shitty character concepts need to die

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Verisimilitudinous wrote:You base your whole argument on the presumption that what you are saying is automatically correct. If you don't get why this makes you an idiot I can't save you.
I'm sorry but I had to quote this. Apparently you are an idiot if your argument isn't a bunch of lies. Which perfectly explains Verisimilitudinous' posts so far.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

...You Lost Me wrote:
Kaelik wrote:<rain, how does it work? snip>

Eat all the dicks.

This was actually brilliant.
I know, right? The next time I namedrop a class in a discussion, I'll make sure the creator isn't on hearing range. Also, while the smackdown was fun, if you substitute "City of Brass" for "Negative Energy Plane" the point I made still stands.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

nockermensch wrote:
...You Lost Me wrote:
Kaelik wrote:<rain, how does it work? snip>

Eat all the dicks.

This was actually brilliant.
I know, right? The next time I namedrop a class in a discussion, I'll make sure the creator isn't on hearing range. Also, while the smackdown was fun, if you substitute "City of Brass" for "Negative Energy Plane" the point I made still stands.
Indeed, totally does, but I am with Frank on this one, 3e is not a game where the expectation is for everyone to be able to adventure everywhere without help from magic items.

But magic items suck balls, so if I were making a game from scratch, every class would get abilities to adventure pretty much everywhere.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Verisimilitudinous
Apprentice

Post by Verisimilitudinous »

Omegonthesane wrote: Even if Beowulf can hold his breath "forever", he can't speak underwater without having the ability to not actually need to breathe.
Really? Where does it state that he can't speak?

If he can hold his breath for eight hours without feeling discomfort, why can't he speak? He's already exceeded human norms by leaps and bounds. Why not go farther?
Verisimilitudinous wrote:herp derp
For the record, Ivan Tsarevitch's equipment list included at least two wizards capable of shape-changing and raising him from the dead, and he needs a magical horse from Baba Yaga to catch up with Koschei's horse.
It is almost as if mythological wizards are nothing more but plot points to be moved through just to gain the requisite power to defeat Big Bad/just plain move the plot along! But but this wouldn't square with 3E's definition of Wizards as gods of the universe therefor let's ignore it entirely.
Last edited by Verisimilitudinous on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Verisimilitudinous
Apprentice

ishy wrote:
Verisimilitudinous wrote:You base your whole argument on the presumption that what you are saying is automatically correct. If you don't get why this makes you an idiot I can't save you.
I'm sorry but I had to quote this. Apparently you are an idiot if your argument isn't a bunch of lies. Which perfectly explains Verisimilitudinous' posts so far.
Stop sucking Frank/Kaelik's dick for a second, thanks in advance
Verisimilitudinous
Apprentice

Hahahaha holy shit your forums code is total shit, I guess it's just like Frank's design aspirations
Verisimilitudinous
Apprentice

Protip: redesigning 3E to fit 'mythical warrior' cliches only works if you're willing to discard 3E's assumption that magic is the only thing that equates to power in fantasy.

Not many people here seem willing to do that, even though wizards in traditional fantasy (read: not D&D branded books) typically are very, very weak in most conditions and are used primarily as plot points to illustrate that wizards are hilarious weaklings incapable of dealing with a guy with muscles.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Verisimilitudinous wrote:Protip: redesigning 3E to fit 'mythical warrior' cliches only works if you're willing to discard 3E's assumption that magic is the only thing that equates to power in fantasy.

Not many people here seem willing to do that, even though wizards in traditional fantasy (read: not D&D branded books) typically are very, very weak in most conditions and are used primarily as plot points to illustrate that wizards are hilarious weaklings incapable of dealing with a guy with muscles.
You're not revealing any new information here. It's totally possible to have a setting on a lower power scale than D&D in which magic is no more powerful than a given list of shitty cantrips and in such a case being the guy on horseback with mail and a lance is in fact totally sweet. I rather doubt anyone will dispute that. Thing is, however, is that many of the people you're arguing with don't want to limit magic like that, full stop. And once you've let that particular genie out arguing that Conan is playing on the same level as these guys while remaining just some big Cimmerian becomes a bit of a farce.
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

Veri spends his time playing Barbarians of Lemuria while chugging RPGSite cock.

"Yes, Mr. Tarnowski, your rage against 3.0 Wizards is so justified... *gargle gargle*"
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]... and that's enough of that shit.[/TGFBS]