Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by User3 »

Shirak wrote:We stand for the Cult, the Canny and the Scrutable!
Perhaps I should've read Eric and the Dread Gazebo with more attention then, since those 3 don't mean much to me. Also, I forgot to add that my impression of those boards is quite bad. Since you say you like(d) it, where did you use to find the good stuff?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: Other threads that make us cry...

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That thread provides me no amusement.

Try harder next time.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1181682806[/unixtime]]
I have a hero complex. I seriously cannot perceive something as a challenge without trying to meet it. And you have to admit, the stupidity of this guy is pretty impressive.

Right now I'm trying to succeed on the Will check to walk away but I have nothing better to do so it's not working.

As far as I can tell, he's just being sarcastic about your wand of wraithstrike thing, because you're using the DMG primary source to supercede the spell compendium that says magic items with swift casting times are still standard actions.

That's all I can really think of... otherwise the guy is just a total idiot.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

WotC board threads are usually entertaining. Here's someone's idea of a "powerful" monster.

Link
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1181705829[/unixtime]]WotC board threads are usually entertaining. Here's someone's idea of a "powerful" monster.

Link

That's lucky to be CR 18, let alone CR 26.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Secondly, how is Lois Lane, who is quite humanoid, let off the hook even when she's alone, frightened, regressed to pubescent form and in baggy clothes that make her even more helpless? I bet there's someone out there beating off to that image right now.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Meh, I've read enough fighter threads to know logic is hard for a goodly chunk of the population. If you're really pissed just report the board to their ISP.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1181694801[/unixtime]]Perhaps I should've read Eric and the Dread Gazebo with more attention then, since those 3 don't mean much to me. Also, I forgot to add that my impression of those boards is quite bad. Since you say you like(d) it, where did you use to find the good stuff?

Nah. That's stolen from Terry Pratchett's The Truth. These three are the opposites of Occult, Uncanny and Inscrutable. Which I hate because I believe the worst thing you can do is not describe something. Fear of the unknown is the greatest and only a stubborn refusal to jump to conclusions and instead investigate fully and logically can stop humans from going apeshit crazy with the mything.
Anyway, the guy seems to have stopped. Which probably means he thinks I'm such an idiot for actually, you know, taking him seriously and still managing to answer his "What's the stupidest I can think of question". Yay me!

As for the good stuff. I read the Exalted threads which are often good. The WotG threads because both developers (Brad Elliot and Rebecca Borgstrom) drop by and answer questions. And I read Tangency which often makes me laugh and is full of weird news which might as well be called "plots for modern occult games". And nowadays I read the d20 board because it's funny in a trainwreck sort of way.

WotC board threads are usually entertaining. Here's someone's idea of a "powerful" monster.

Wow! What an awesome monster! Oh, wait. It falls to Quickened AMF + Forcecage. Like, you know, every fucking bruiser monster at that level? It doesn't even have flying! Did this guy even read the books? :disgusted:

Some of my players suck.

Pay special attention to the second post.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

There was an awesome troll thread in /tg/ yesterday, but it's probably gone by now.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Oh hey a discussion about whether underage furries are appropriate avatar material. Let me just go right ahead and read all of that.

And since the artitst can specify the age of the 'humanoid' he's drawing, this whole thing is absolutely retarded. Simply say the subject is 18 and you're done.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1181734402[/unixtime]]Oh hey a discussion about whether underage furries are appropriate avatar material. Let me just go right ahead and read all of that.

And since the artitst can specify the age of the 'humanoid' he's drawing, this whole thing is absolutely retarded. Simply say the subject is 18 and you're done.

It's not stupid. It's advanced! :biggrin:
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

THE MONSTER HAS TRIPLE STANDARD TREASURE - I almost wanna play with this guy.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1181734402[/unixtime]]And since the artitst can specify the age of the 'humanoid' he's drawing, this whole thing is absolutely retarded. Simply say the subject is 18 and you're done.

Ahh, but the artist mistakenly thought that a character not in a fetish story could be under age... Being a cat transformed into a humanoid, anyhow.

Silly him. Especially with one of his major detractors wielding an image of Garra, who everyone should know is under age in the US and Germany (the countries of record in the argument).

-Crissa

...Personally, I always go with the 'I don't state ages' in anything I do. Number of times around a star is irrelevent.

I never understand people who are admins of boards who can't handle it. They don't understand that applying rules inequally is going to piss people off - and then they act all indignant when people get upset or report posts which violate the rules they themselves made.

If an admin is going to flame people, they probably shouldn't be an admin.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

shirak wrote:Some of my players suck.

Pay special attention to the second post.

I suppose you could force the experienced folk to take levels in NPC classes only. :thumb:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Who needs the AMF to be quickened?

...Besides, it looks like it'd fall to an Entangling Web.

-Crissa
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1181770310[/unixtime]]Who needs the AMF to be quickened?

...Besides, it looks like it'd fall to an Entangling Web.

-Crissa

This combo is S.O.P. for my high level mages and I have yet to see a bruiser build that can beat it. But, yeah, it is overkill for this piece of crap.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

And that's where your opinions collide with reality, Crissa.

If you are an admin of a board, you can apply the rules any way you want.

Now, you are correct in the fashion that if the rules are apllied unfairly, then people will leave. That's the assumption. However, that doesn't mean that admins can't drive people they don't like off tho boards, they are very well free to do that. (There is only one board where I thought the mods weren't abusing the rules to drive people off the boards, and that's this one. No other board, professional of otherwise, is innocent of being a douche to get rid of people that they don't want on their message boards.)

You might not agree with it, but the sad fact is, that's the way message boards work. The Gaming Den is a complete and total abberation in its enforcement of the rules as posted, most boards are designed for the admin's cronies to talk about how aweseom they are and how much other people suck, that's the whole point of having memberships.

(Personally, when I had my forums that very few people decided to post on, I only had three rules. I don't remember what the first two were, but I specifically stated that anyone who pissed me off got banned, and that took precedent over the other rules. That way, I could enforce the rules how I wanted to and it would technically be within the guidelines. It's a shame more forums don't do that.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

OK. The Other Threads That Make Us Cry merging with the original I can understand. What is the New Archmage doing here? :wtf:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Oh, I was sooo lost.

Here I was trying to keep my non-gaming threads out of the gaming threads so people wouldn't be upset, but I couldn't see the change for the last two days...

O-o;

-Crissa
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

Reserve Feats are overpowered!!!1!

http://p222.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfr ... [br][br]At one point, the OP actually says he doesn't care what anybody says, he's already made up his mind. I'm not sure why he opened up with "I'd like your opinions on this" if he didn't.

Try to guess which one I am.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

technomancer at [unixtime wrote:1181913413[/unixtime]]Reserve Feats are overpowered!!!1!

http://p222.ezboard.com/fokayyourturnfr ... [br][br]At one point, the OP actually says he doesn't care what anybody says, he's already made up his mind. I'm not sure why he opened up with "I'd like your opinions on this" if he didn't.

Try to guess which one I am.

I'll take a wild shot and say...

The guy who linked to these forums? :rolleyes:
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

Interestingly enough, no.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

technomancer at [unixtime wrote:1181919305[/unixtime]]Interestingly enough, no.

Damn. Hmmm. Second guess would be the frog guy.

Btw, who is the guy who linked here?
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

Nice second guess, I'm the frog guy. What gave it away? Logic?
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

technomancer at [unixtime wrote:1181953106[/unixtime]]Nice second guess, I'm the frog guy. What gave it away? Logic?

I'm really good at intuition and pattern recognition. So after I got over the "obvious" solution, it just hit me. You totally fit the conversational style of people around here. "Read the crunch, not the fluff" should be our motto. Also, there weren't many choices ;)

Nice avatar btw