Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Kaelik wrote:Magic of Incarnum is the only implementation of a good resource management mechanic that is under used even in most computer RPGs, much less in Table Top.

So even though it is a terrible implementation, and the actual abilities are total shit, and the fluff is garbage flavored garbage, people who are not capable of distinguishing these things have good feelings about all of Magic of Incarnum because of that.
Which resource mechanic are you referring to? MoI had like three all jumbled together into one as far as I remember.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

spongeknight wrote:Which resource mechanic are you referring to? MoI had like three all jumbled together into one as far as I remember.
Magic of Incarnum has one actual resource mechanic. It's the one where you pull points around across your abilities. It's the one used in Koumei's Necromancer and my Blighter. It is the only one in the book.

(I mean, technically they have spells or whatever in the back, because always.)
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

It's the one used in Koumei's Necromancer and my Blighter.
I don't think Koumei wrote a necromancer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't find one.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:
It's the one used in Koumei's Necromancer and my Blighter.
I don't think Koumei wrote a necromancer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't find one.
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=55977&highlight=

Scroll down.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Magic of Incarnum also has Chakra Binds and body slots and opened chakras and soulmelds per day. It juggles a lot of resource management systems for very little payoff.

-Username17
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

spongeknight wrote: Which resource mechanic are you referring to? MoI had like three all jumbled together into one as far as I remember.
Are you mixing it up with Tome of Magic, which had Binders, Truenamers, and Shadowcasters?
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

RobbyPants wrote:Are you mixing it up with Tome of Magic, which had Binders, Truenamers, and Shadowcasters?
Nope, as mentioned, MoI was trying to fit at least two resource mechanics together. It would have worked better if they split the "X melds, Y binds, all in specific locations that unlock by level" thing a separate class from the "pool of points that you can re-allocate on a round to round basis" one, but I guess they wanted to test everything in one go.
Last edited by Ice9 on Thu May 12, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Ice9 wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:Are you mixing it up with Tome of Magic, which had Binders, Truenamers, and Shadowcasters?
Nope, as mentioned, MoI was trying to fit at least two resource mechanics together. It would have worked better if they split the "X melds, Y binds, all in specific locations that unlock by level" thing a separate class from the "pool of points that you can re-allocate on a round to round basis" one, but I guess they wanted to test everything in one go.
This is basically nonsense. You might as well be arguing that Wizards were trying out three different resources systems, Limited number of slots, Limited Numbers of Spells known, and Better Slots as you level.

Melds are just the way you pick what you do that day from the list of all possible things your class could ever do. Binds are just the same thing, but they act as a level gate. 100% of totemists get a totem slot at level 2 that lets them do totem slot things. That's not a resource management system any more than "having a spellbook" is a different resource management system than having spell slots you put those spells in.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Kaelik, stop being retarded. Just stop it.

Let's talk Gorgon Mask. It requires you to be a 14th level Totemist to use properly, and it requires you to use the following:

- One of your limited soulmelds per day.
- One of your limited chakra binds per day.
- As many essentia points per day as you feel like setting on fire to get resistance to bullrush.
- Your throat slot, causing you to gain no benefit from magic necklaces.
- A once per day charge to actually use the murder gas.

That is one doohicky and it no shit interacts with FIVE different pools of limited resources that are limited to different numbers and in different contexts. The best that can be said of anyone claiming that there is only one resource management system in MoI is that they do not remember that shitty book very well.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

You listed the Chakra bind twice, because you are being a disingenuous shitbag, and the chakra bind and soulmelds are the exact same things, except that one of them scales with level. You also picked the Gorgon Mask, knowing that 95% of soulmelds in the entire fucking book don't have a per day usage limit, and you can be a level 1-13 Totemist who uses it with no daily limit, and treated that like a standard case to imply that all of them have daily limits.

Obviously the Gorgon Mask shouldn't have a daily limit, but that's a criticism of the Gorgon Mask, and the three entire chakra binds in the entire book with daily limits. Three out of the more than 130 binds. I suppose that if I find a single spell in the entire game with essentia, that means all Wizards have essentia management as a resource management schedule built onto their class. Or what about spells that give Wizards benefits for being written in their spellbook.

In the meantime, a reasonable acknowledgement of how the system actually works is that you have X slots per day, and some of them are stronger than others (Binds) and you put on a bunch of blue glowing things at the beginning of the day, and that determines what you can allocate points into.

The only fucking difference at all between choosing at the beginning of the day, and choosing at level up is the difference between the Sorcerer and the Wizard, that you regularly decry as a false difference. But now, apparently you think that choosing daily is somehow a totally different "resource management system" than choosing at level up, or having the choice taken away by having it be class mandatory.

And that's fucking bullshit. Great, you hate MoI. Frankly, so do I, but I hate it because it's poorly written shit, not because they have you equip fucking abilities from a list instead of prechoosing all the abilities in advance and writing 38 classes.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu May 12, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

FrankTrollman wrote:Magic of Incarnum also has Chakra Binds and body slots and opened chakras and soulmelds per day. It juggles a lot of resource management systems for very little payoff.

-Username17
The chakra-binding system is pretty obviously built to put upper-level abilities on soulmelds without barring those soulmelds to lower-level characters. So if you want to be the Armadillo Cloak guy from level 1, you can do that, even if the ultimate ability is available at level 16. But you're right that it's dumb; it's more obvious and elegant to hardline those abilities to threshold essentia investments, which also have a maximum capped by level. So the Armadillo Cloak's ultimate ability should only be active when you have 6 essentia invested, which incidentally becomes possible at level 16.

The body slots thing... See, the thing is, a lot of people do seem to like body slots. Maybe this would be a different story of the Incarnum-as-magic-items angle wasn't hopelessly underdeveloped. As it stands, soulmelds don't displace magic items, there's no way to buy into soulmelds with strictly material resources, and they don't give you even the most tepid vow-of-poverty style suggestion for switching your WBL into purely incarnum-based swag. In that context, the body slot thing is so glaringly vestigial that I wonder if they didn't leave it in just to signal their greater (unmet) aspirations for the system.

Sidenote: An essentia-based Artificer would be pretty good. A little more contrived than the Necromancer, from a naturalistic perspective, but rewarding enough that I don't think you would care. Basically, you'd want a healthy suite of essentia infusions that employed your compatriots somewhat less as the base for force-multiplication and more as a set of delivery vectors, based on their positions and circumstances. So you have a Static Charge infusion which will shock anybody within 20 feet of the epicenter, and you can certainly deliver it yourself, but on this particular turn the Paladin is in a much better position so you make him your conduit. If he has a Stormshield (which you can make him) you can just dump the essentia and use your action for something else.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

No I didn't list chakra binds twice. You have a limited number of chakra binds AND your specific choice of chakra binds debuffs you if you have the wrong magic items based on item slots. Those are in fact different things. One is a simple number of daily selections - like the soulmelds limit but smaller, and the other is a contingent drain effect. I didn't even get into the whole chakra opening minigame, because you normally only do that when levelling up. MoI is really fucking weird. Just admit it and shut the fuck up.

-Username17
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

So it's basically ...

1: spells prepared (which have some bullshit small effect when so),
2: spells cast (some of which may be cast to different effects),
3: the items that go time out when you cast each spell (which are like spell levels, because spells often can be cast at multiple levels),
4: the mana points you invest in your prepared or cast spells to make them work better temporarily, or for various other things.

And there's 10 levels of spells and you can only cast one at each level all day, unless you can unbind them, I don't know.

So they're a Wizard who, prepares invisibility to get +5 to climb, casts it to get Invisibility while turning off his gloves, or Protection from Evil while turning off his amulet, or both or neither, and can shuffle around mana points on making the climb bonus bigger for a while if he wants to.

Except you/re a Meldshaper who prepares a Souldmeld for +5 to climb, and Binds it to their hand Chakra for ... and can shuffle their Essentia ....

Doesn't really support Charm Person or Fireball though does it, unless the person is only charmed while your cloak is switched off and your Fireball ... um. "The casting of charm person requires you give your cloak to the person to be charmed."
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

MoI Essentia system seems more suitable to being the overarching system you'd want everything else to fit under, rather than be a subsystem to a game with lots and lots of different subsystems.

Say a game where everyone gets X amount of chakra slots, with activating new slots after some levels and the abilities you can fit into those slots are

*Always on passive abilities like numerical bonuses ("+5 to my AC")
*At-will ability ("I can throw fireballs from my hands")
*Limited use ability that requires rest
*etc.

So a "hero warrior" type fills his chakra slots to hit hard and jump high, while you can be a vancian wizard if you fill your slots with limited use magic.

It's kinda like a point buy system.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri May 13, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-m ... shic-magic

This...this isn't what I think it is, is it?

There were people who liked incarnum that much?
Veils do not interfere with magic items that occupy the same slot.
So am I missing something or does PF-MoI no longer block you from getting your necessary items?
I mean sure, the PF creative director will tell you, you don''t need stat boosting items, but everyone knows that is basically a lie.
pathfinder creative director wrote:You don't need cloaks of resistance to "live" though, unless your GM is particularly into a sort of "arms race" type of game.

The monsters in Pathfinder are designed such that the save DCs they inflict are, on average, not things you need to have cloaks of resistance to endure. They can certainly be OPTIMIZED so those save DCs get better, and that's what starts he arms race aspect of the game.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Slade
Knight

Post by Slade »

Kaelik wrote:You listed the Chakra bind twice, because you are being a disingenuous shitbag, and the chakra bind and soulmelds are the exact same things, except that one of them scales with level. You also picked the Gorgon Mask, knowing that 95% of soulmelds in the entire fucking book don't have a per day usage limit, and you can be a level 1-13 Totemist who uses it with no daily limit, and treated that like a standard case to imply that all of them have daily limits.

Obviously the Gorgon Mask shouldn't have a daily limit, but that's a criticism of the Gorgon Mask, and the three entire chakra binds in the entire book with daily limits. Three out of the more than 130 binds. I suppose that if I find a single spell in the entire game with essentia, that means all Wizards have essentia management as a resource management schedule built onto their class. Or what about spells that give Wizards benefits for being written in their spellbook.
I think they did that because they balanced toward weaker than 3.5 Core casters. And generally, they worry about new ones overshadowing them.

What they should have done is 1 +1 use day/essential. This would keep it low uses, but still not at will.

If you aren't balanced to core (why would you) then make it 1 + 1 use per encounter/ 2 essential. Per encounter is 1 minute without combat then recharges.

I guess they figured Flesh to Stone was too strong to use frequently.

This competes with Basilisk mask which is at will, but duration 1 rd. Which should be changed to 1 rd + 1 rd/ essential anyway.
Last edited by Slade on Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

ishy wrote:So am I missing something or does PF-MoI no longer block you from getting your necessary items?
You aren't missing anything, the veils no longer lock you out of magic items for that slot. It's still not GREAT but that makes a difference.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

ishy wrote:I mean sure, the PF creative director will tell you, you don''t need stat boosting items, but everyone knows that is basically a lie.
pathfinder creative director wrote:You don't need cloaks of resistance to "live" though, unless your GM is particularly into a sort of "arms race" type of game.
The effect of not having a +2 cloak of resistance (say) is that, out of every 10 saving throws you have to make, you will fail one more than usual. A 10% increase in the amount of healing or resurrection you need is maybe annoying, but it certainly doesn't mean the difference between a playable PC and an unplayable PC. I mean, people play fighter PCs, for god's sake.
Sergarr
1st Level

Post by Sergarr »

hogarth wrote:
ishy wrote:I mean sure, the PF creative director will tell you, you don''t need stat boosting items, but everyone knows that is basically a lie.
The effect of not having a +2 cloak of resistance (say) is that, out of every 10 saving throws you have to make, you will fail one more than usual. A 10% increase in the amount of healing or resurrection you need is maybe annoying, but it certainly doesn't mean the difference between a playable PC and an unplayable PC. I mean, people play fighter PCs, for god's sake.
Uh, no. +2 to resistance rolls can mean vastly different things in different circumstances. Let's see three different typical situations here:

1) A resistance roll is kinda easy (5+ to save, 75/25). In this case, +2 to the roll means making a save on 3+, which is a 13% increase in chances to successfully resist.
2) A resistance roll is 50/50 (10+ to save). Here +2 turns it into saving on 8+, or 60/40, which is a 20% increase in chances to successfully save.
3) A resistance roll is kinda hard (15+ to save, or 25/75). +2 => saving on 13+, 35/65, which is an increase of 40%.

And that's not the worst case scenarios. If the DC of resistance roll you're making is out of RNG, +2 to resistance roll can literally mean either a +0% increase, or a +infinity% one.

In no case is it obvious that it all averages out at just +10% increase. And in fact, I'm almost certain that it doesn't.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Sergarr wrote: Uh, no. +2 to resistance rolls can mean vastly different things in different circumstances. Let's see three different typical situations here:

1) A resistance roll is kinda easy (5+ to save, 75/25). In this case, +2 to the roll means making a save on 3+, which is a 13% increase in chances to successfully resist. An increase from 75% to 85% is 10%
2) A resistance roll is 50/50 (10+ to save). Here +2 turns it into saving on 8+, or 60/40, which is a 20% increase in chances to successfully save. An increase of 50% to 60% is 10%
3) A resistance roll is kinda hard (15+ to save, or 25/75). +2 => saving on 13+, 35/65, which is an increase of 40%. An increase of 25% to 35% is 10%

And that's not the worst case scenarios. If the DC of resistance roll you're making is out of RNG, +2 to resistance roll can literally mean either a +0% increase, or a +infinity% one.

In no case is it obvious that it all averages out at just +10% increase. And in fact, I'm almost certain that it doesn't.
I just... I'm going to assume that you had a lot to drink or something, because there is no other explanation for how amazingly wrong this simple bit of math is. Correct answers in bold.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Sergarr wrote: And that's not the worst case scenarios. If the DC of resistance roll you're making is out of RNG, +2 to resistance roll can literally mean either a +0% increase, or a +infinity% one.
Because of the auto fail/auto succeed natural 1/20 rule, it can be as low as a +0% or as high as a +200% increase. You will always have at least a 5% chance of success. Whether or not you improve by 0%, 100%, or 200% has to do if you are right at the edge of the RNG, or two or more points past it.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

An increase from 75% to 85% is 10 percentile points and a (85 - 75)/75 * 100% = 13.333...% proportional increase. Similarly, the rest of Sergarr's math is also right. Don't get smug and accuse people of being amazingly wrong on simple math when you're not even aware of the fact that "proportional change" is a meaningful concept.
Last edited by John Magnum on Mon May 16, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JM
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

John Magnum wrote:An increase from 75% to 85% is 10 percentile points and a (85 - 75)/75 * 100% = 13.333...% proportional increase. Similarly, the rest of Sergarr's math is also right. Don't get smug and accuse people of being amazingly wrong on simple math when you're not even aware of the fact that "proportional change" is a meaningful concept.
Except Hogarth, who Sergarr quoted, was obviously not talking about proportional change, and Sergarr attempted to correct him with math that had nothing to do with what Hogarth was talking about. Don't get smug and accuse people of being amazingly wrong when you don't bother to read the start of the conversation.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

If hogarth wasn't talking about proportional change, I have no idea what he could have been talking about instead. What is "A 10% increase in the amount of healing or resurrection you need" if it isn't a proportional change?
-JM
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

John Magnum wrote:If hogarth wasn't talking about proportional change, I have no idea what he could have been talking about instead. What is "A 10% increase in the amount of healing or resurrection you need" if it isn't a proportional change?
He was talking about the bit where, when you actually throw down the d20, you have an actual 10% increased chance to save against death effects no matter where your save started at and where it ended up at if you have a cloak of resistance or not (barring being off the RNG). If you started at a 5+ or a 15+, on actual throws of the dice you succeed 10% more of the time when you move to 7+ and 17+. Hence, you need to get rezzed 10% less of the time if you're succeeding against death effects 10% more of the time.