More Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shirak
Knight

Re: More Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by shirak »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1199010954[/unixtime]]Well, Ptolus and Eberron DO do that already. Just, poorly. Now, actually thinking the whole thing through, such as "D&D leads to the Wish Economy. Let's make that a standard part of the setting." and all would be kind of cool/funny.

No, they don't. There is no Wish Economy (or, for that matter, Turnip Economy). The very existence of the Magewright means they completely missed the point of Fabricate and Wish. There is no justification for half the things they did.

I have tried to make a setting out of the D&D mechanics and frankly they don't make sense. If you assume D&D RAW then you don't get a setting, you get a huge argument.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

This was sent to me by another Shadowrun author, as long as we are sending in links from RPG net.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1199010954[/unixtime]]
Also, Tieflings apparently like having zig-zag based weapons. None of their weapons incorporate curves or long, straight lines. Zig-zags are the new in thing. Multiple pointy bits equals multiple wounds!

It's a Balor thing. Not Balor the Fomorian, no.

Balors. Those... other guys.

Fuck, hope they go extinct in 4e.
We need big demons with claws n poison drool and... oh wait that's Pit Fiends.
Which are Lawful.
HURRRR
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Dude, they start off with dumb arguments.

Backgrounded processes do impact performance. Less so on a multiprocessor or multithreaded OS like Linux or OSX than Windows, but still it takes up memory addresses and such.

*sigh*

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1199034508[/unixtime]]Dude, they start off with dumb arguments.

Backgrounded processes do impact performance. Less so on a multiprocessor or multithreaded OS like Linux or OSX than Windows, but still it takes up memory addresses and such.

*sigh*

-Crissa

Was that a total non-sequitur? As far as I know (which I'll admit isn't very far) Linux is barely multithreaded. Maybe I'm just bitter over my total failure to properly use the pthread library.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

As far as actually getting use out of pthreads...it got a lot better after LinuxThreads was replaced with NPTL.

I have no idea what Crissa is referring to, but any process that isn't completely swapped out and not using the CPU is obviously going to impact performance.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Jacob_Orlove at [unixtime wrote:1198992964[/unixtime]]

Dumbest arguement you heard?

From page 1 "Thank you for taking the freaking five page manual on the to do and not to do about the paladin code i wrote"

Hilarious.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I know. It sounds like playing a Paladin in that game would suck, and as such, playing that game at all would likely have all the fun and excitement of swallowing barbed wire, pulling it out your own arse and flossing to death.

I'm just guessing. I've tried neither, and if things stay that way, my life will be all the better for it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I have to admit, I'm not a Linux-unix head myself, I just use the shells to put stuff together. But I know many 50K-150K admin types so my expectations of how things do work might be a little out of sync with the average unix/linux user.

Anyhow! That was like post three on that thread. Bizzaroland.

-Crissa
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

I run linux muti-threaded on 2 processors with Ubuntu out of the box with no configuration. I have also run Fedora Core 2 multithreaded with multiple processors out of the box with no configuration (beyond the nightmare of a "diskless" Fedora Core 2 without an internet connection). I have programmed threads in Fedora core 4 (with configuration, but this is programming we are talking about). I have programmed threads in Ubuntu significantly easier than in Fedora Core 4 (QT threads were better installed, minimal configuration). Pthread works on Fedora's 2-4, Windows XP, Vista, and Ubuntu (in the experience at work), in my personal experience.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Well, Ptolus and Eberron DO do that already. Just, poorly. Now, actually thinking the whole thing through, such as "D&D leads to the Wish Economy. Let's make that a standard part of the setting." and all would be kind of cool/funny.

Yeah, it would. Let's see if we can get them to go for it.

-Username17
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

They'd probably rather just get rid of Wish, rather than actually think about the consequences of its existence.

Betting pool on if it stays in 4e? :)
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

He lost me at 4 armed hobgoblin, frankly...

Fwib- Wish has already been declared officially gone in 4e, at least as a spell.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

LOL @ "I start out at level 21 ... I have decided to play a melee character ... with Epic Leadership ... who will eigther throw DAGGERS or shoot CROSSBOWS"

It is even more humourous at the end of the thread when he decides to use... wait for it... 2 shortbows.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1199130792[/unixtime]]Fwib- Wish has already been declared officially gone in 4e, at least as a spell.
Ahhh. I guess its just a power monsters get then... I wonder if they remembered to make sure that there was no way for players to summon and control those monsters?

I am looking forward to 4e. Hopefully it will be OK or better.

If it is not, well, 3e is OK, maybe I could actually get around to playing a caster.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Well, thats the thing. Hopefully they took it out across the board, but there probably is a loophole somewhere. I was just avoiding an absolute statement, because I can certainly see them including a bindable monster capable of wishlike effects and not realizing that its just as troublesome

On the other hand, in the first book at least, there have been statements to the effect of:
clerics can't summon things at all.
wizards are focused on evocation and illusion
and warlocks have a lot of weird shit. And damaging stuff.

There hasn't been a lot of talk about conjuration spells. I suspect it hit the 'complex things won't be in the first book' barrier that seems to be in effect. (except illusions, but I expect those will be 'fixed' in an unpleasing manner). So- wish, out. polymorph, out, druids, out. (At least for the first book).
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Voss at [unixtime wrote:1199130792[/unixtime]]
Fwib- Wish has already been declared officially gone in 4e, at least as a spell.

Best thing out of 4e yet.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1199256760[/unixtime]]
Voss at [unixtime wrote:1199130792[/unixtime]]

Best thing out of 4e yet.

Meh. To me WISH is D&D; no WISH no D&D. Mind you Crappy Wish means Crappy D&D and we've had plenty of Crappy D&D over the editions. I'll take the old time 1E Wish anyday, even if I have to suffer with the wish lawyers.

Things Bugs Bunny once said that some people don't want you to know about wrote:I wish ...
I wish ...
I wish I was in Dixie, hourray, hourray!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1199285345[/unixtime]]To me WISH is D&D; no WISH no D&D.

So... all the levels before you get to Wish aren't D&D?

The old Wish is where you tell the Wizard, 'hey, your power this level? It's the power to get kicked in the balls. You're welcome.' That might be 'fun' by the Gygaxian definition, but it's really bad game design.
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

I actually have the OP of this thread on ignore, but the replies by other posters suggest that this thread is a real winner:

4E pros and Cons A review ofRaces and Classes by EE. Please read
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Oh. Its the illiterate brat. His shit is generally stupid enough, but so terribly written as to be painful.

The eugenics discussion on the second page is moderately amusing however.

The 'scantily clad women's is bad' discussion is kinda sad though. Partly because there isn't really a lot of that in R&C.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Goddamnit, I hate kids who think being an "evil elitist" with an "insane ego" is cool. Especially when they don't know how to use punctuation.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1199301492[/unixtime]]Goddamnit, I hate kids who think being an "evil elitist" with an "insane ego" is cool. Especially when they don't know how to use punctuation.

That's basically every 14-year old on the internet ever.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Jacob_Orlove at [unixtime wrote:1199296483[/unixtime]]I actually have the OP of this thread on ignore, but the replies by other posters suggest that this thread is a real winner:

4E pros and Cons A review ofRaces and Classes by EE. Please read

Okay i just read his post...

EE wrote:B- Sexism, i know that is not intentional, but when all the female look like fashion models and dress showing off as much of their bodies as possible? I just can't judge them as human beings. I just feel like they are soulless fashion models who i can't even start to judge as real characters. If the smartest, bravest and toughest wizard wears an outfit that exposes her stomach and breasts, i just am thinking "So does she sleep around a lot or what? Why is she wearing such a useless outfit?" D&D doesn't have enough female players as it is (this saddens me greatly) and i think WOTC should open out to girls more by treating them equally, not as sex symbols. Exception exist for pictures of girls who are suppose to dress that way (a seducer for example, or a succubus ect) but really

Wow, that is some really sexist shit you just said there. "Soulless Fashion Models"...The problem is with you not the artist. Appartently he has no problem with a guy no shirt on, but if a woman has her midrift exposed she must be a hoe. :confused:

C- Every time a see a male dude wearing armor and a female wearing next to nothing in the mid section, i feel so, out of it, i just feel no connection to the female character and it kills the fantasy mood i have been experiencing. So please, i admit i am american (in the prude sort of way) and that i am rather straight laced in said matters but please stop
You must don't have much respect if something as small as that makes you feel no connection to the character even though it is just a bloody picture.

D- I am not ashamed of the fact i play D&D, i have no problem brining books like the Players hand book to school, however when my friends (non gaming) are interested in the game an i try to explain it to them, when the see a half naked girl they just assume the worst and no longer take me seriously. I've stopped bringing most books because it embarrasses me.
Well that is a problem with your friends and you not the damn book. It seem that they are okay with a half-naked guy running around doing shit and not bat an eye. But Oh Noes it's "unrealistic" if a women does the same thing. Grow the hell up.

I see why you have this one on ignore.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.