General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

Re: Threads that make us Laugh, Cry, or Both

Post by Leress »

On the Philosophy of class design

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=879725
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Desdan_Mervolam at [unixtime wrote:1183773588[/unixtime]]
Batshit Religious foru, wrote:
""Make sure your answer uses Scripture, not logic.""

Maaaan, I wish I were more up on my scripture, cuz you can use it to justify some pretty crazy shit, and I'm not even talking about the usual abortion/evolution/homosexuality thing.

-Desdan

Genesis 27:11 wrote:Behold, Esau my brother is a hairy man and I am a smooth man.

Best piece of scripture ever.

-Username17
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Romans 3:10 would be good for stirring things up.

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1183778479[/unixtime]]On the Philosophy of class design

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=879725

Not sure whats funny or cry worthy about that. Solid OP and the replys aren't bad enough to register a blip in this thread.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Great class balance concepts.

Irony: All of their examples (sans swashbuckler) are wrong.

-Crissa
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Well yeah, but you can't actually have high expectations when dealing with WotC posters.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Numbers 22:21 wrote:And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab.

My contender for bestness.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

Zechariah 5:1 wrote:Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a flying roll.

My favorite.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

OK this requires a little prep work although having someone mark people and others killing the unmarked people is simply cool enough on its own face value. The last letter in the hebrew alphabet looks like an "X" but translated into greet as Tau. Francis of Assisi used the Tau symbol as a cross like sign and made it a part of the order. I'm not sure he would have approved this passage from Ezekiel at face value however.

Exekiel 9:1-11 wrote:Then he cried loud for me to hear: Come, you scourges of the city! With that I saw six men coming from the direction of the upper gate which faces the north, each with a destroying weapon in his hand. In their midst was a man dressed in linen, with a writer's case at his waist. They entered and stood beside the bronze altar. Then he called to the man dressed in linen with the writer's case at his waist, saying to him: Pass through the city (through Jerusalem) and mark an X on the foreheads of those who moan and groan over all the abominations that are practiced within it. To the others I heard him say: Pass through the city after him and strike! Do not look on them with pity nor show any mercy! Old men, youths and maidens, women and children--wipe them out! But do not touch any marked with the X; begin at my sanctuary. So they began with the men (the elders) who were in front of the temple. Defile the temple, he said to them, and fill the courts with the slain; then go out and strike in the city. As they began to strike, I was left alone. I fell prone, crying out, Alas, Lord GOD! Will you destroy all that is left of Israel when you pour out your fury on Jerusalem?" He answered me: The sins of the house of Israel are great beyond measure; the land is filled with bloodshed, the city with lawlessness. They think that the LORD has forsaken the land, that he does not see them. I, however, will not look upon them with pity, nor show any mercy. I will bring down their conduct upon their heads. Then I saw the man dressed in linen with the writing case at his waist make his report: "I have done as you ordered."
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

D&D in Second Life.

The mind boggles.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Didn't I already suggest that?

...Why does Giant have his own boards?

-Crissa
Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

Post by Rob_Knotts »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1184100935[/unixtime]]...Why does Giant have his own boards?
First guess: To accomodate fans of his comic strip, all of whom are bound to have a number of things in common (fans of D&D, fans of online comics, not to mention all the scifi/fantasy trappings that go along with those two groups).

Second guess: Any alternative to the WotC boards is a good thing:biggrin:
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1184100935[/unixtime]]...Why does Giant have his own boards?

Because. No really you have to look at it in its historical context. The original purpose of the playground was to host supplemental d20 material by himself and a few of his friends. This was after not winning that famous contest. The boards were created to discuss that material. The strip was created to promote the board and act as a fluff feature of the board. The strip proved more powerful than the board and the rest is history.

Remember at the time EVERYONE who was SOMEONE had a board. Cook had a board, Reynolds had a board, etc. Rich wanted to be SOMEONE so he created his own board.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

I am officially giving up on the RPG.net D20 boards except for the purpose of finding stupid threads. Here's one on the problems of D&D 3.5. Apparently, it doesn't have any. After 10 pages, I expected one guy to mention Fighter but nope, tough luck. Btw, page 2 has the most awesomely STUPID argument against Alignment I have ever seen. :wtf:
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

What the bloody hell?

The newer editions of D&D are not broken. but they are excedingly more complex.

Has this guy ever actually read the 1E DMG? What was it Cecil called it? "All the joys of double-entry accounting with none of that boring 'fun' stuff thrown in"?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I couldn't get past page 2 after that "complexity" comment. Because adding bonuses is so much harder than subtracting them.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Well you have to check bonus types, so it's slightly more complex ;)
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

]
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Remember, that's the same fucker who gets people to play "I win" with him on the Epic boards.
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1184201948[/unixtime]]Remember, that's the same fvcker who gets people to play "I win" with him on the Epic boards.

Who Tarkin or Witch?

I hardly go over to the Epic boards

EDIT: Just look back on "A Challenge" thread... it is that same fvcker.
]
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I especially love how he argues that the Epic rules work by saying you don't need to use the Epic rules.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

At least Bitnine's joke was funny.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1184201948[/unixtime]]Remember, that's the same fvcker who gets people to play "I win" with him on the Epic boards.

Yeah, what's even worse is that he's bashing Leress about having no experience with epic level games, as though he's some kind of authority.
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

Punching bad thoughts, ofcourse, is not something you do with strength. As I'm sure you know.

Well, now.

Darn it. All that effort… wasted.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

Wow... I hadn't checked in on the WoTC boards in months. But that... that thread just made me wonder something very critical to my understanding of the situation over there.

How can reasonable people not have concurrent aneurysms when engaged in an argument on those boards? It... unnerves me to such a great degree. Ugh. Now I know never to go back once you quit.