[Let's Play] Legendary Kingdoms: The Valley of Bones

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Legendary Kingdoms: The Valley of Bones

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Good point. I change my vote to send Akihiro out alone then.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Choose someone to leave the tent and confront the strange light. When you've made your decision, turn to 491.
The choice has been made.

If you chose Akihiro, turn to 470.
If you chose Amelia Pass-Dayne, turn to 163.
If you have chosen someone else, turn to 613.

If you have the code A52, turn to 613. You emerge alone from your tent, screwing your courage to the sticking place. You gaze into the light and see it. A skeletal figure, composed of light and hate, a curved longsword in its hands. It is a revenant, a ghost of a dishonoured sword saint. It seeks those undertaking the trial of the kensai to test them. If you have the code A51, turn to 500. If not, read on.
     “Akihiro of Chalice,” intones the revenant. “Now you know where I dwell. Know that I am for you, and at my hands you shall face your final death. But not now. You are as a child to me. Return to me when you are worthy.”
     You snarl, your hand dropping to your weapon, but the spirit is already gone, dissolving into the cold wind like scattered rice paper. In sombre silence, you return to the tent. Turn to 840.

“I am for you Akihiro,” says your father’s spirit. “You know me now, I think.”
     “There can be no forgiveness,” you growl, drawing your blade. “The stain on our family’s honour must be expunged.”
     “No,” says the spirit sadly. “You shall fall as I did. As my grandfather slew me, I shall slay you. Have you children, Akihiro? I pray not. Let you be the last in our line to suffer this tragedy.”
     “I shall be the first,” you vow. “The first in a new dawn for our family. Face the blade of a true kensai, father.”
     The revenant draws his weapon, and so begins the ultimate duel between father and son.

OpponentAttackDefHealth
Revenant6(3+)5+8

Note: If Akihiro has achieved Enlightenment, the revenant only hits on a 4+, and its defence drops to 4+.
If Akihiro wins, turn to 882. If he loses, turn to 320.
Round 1:
Akihiro attacks Paternal Revenant, 9d v 4+:2,2,1,1,5,1,4,1,5=3, Dad's at 5/8.
Revenant attacks Akihiro, 6d v 4+:4,1,2,4,3,4=3 (Armour 4:2,3,5,6) 2 damage negated, Akihiro at 8/9.

Round 2:
Akihiro attacks Paternal Revenant, 9d v 4+:6,2,3,2,5,1,3,6,4=4, Dad's at 1/8.
Revenant attacks Akihiro, 6d v 4+:4,6,5,5,4,1=5 (Armour 4:5,2,1,1) 1 damage negated, Akihiro at 4/9.

Round 2:
Akihiro attacks Paternal Revenant, 9d v 4+:4,1,1,4,6,3,1,6,3=4, Dad's defeated!

Your blades clash as fast as fury, a blur of steel on steel. Your father cannot keep up with the speed of your blows. Your balanced mind is like a fortress, thwarting his attacks whilst strengthening your own. The end comes suddenly, your blade cutting through his ghostly torso, to split his form in two. The revenant unleashes a howl as its form begins to fragment.
     “This is not the end!” vows the revenant. “It was the dark one’s will that we serve him! One day, you too shall bow to him in death.”
     “Begone, old man!” you bellow. “Get you to your rest!”
     The revenant gives a sigh, his blade thudding into the sand, his spirit dissolving.
     You are surprised to see that the sword remains when the ghost departs. You may take your father’s masterwork blade (Fighting +3) if you wish.
     Cross off the code A51 and gain the code A52.
Also, increase Akihiro’s Fighting and maximum, unwounded Health by 1 point. The sun rises a rich red on the eastern horizon, and your companions emerge from the tent to greet you, now that the fear cast by the revenant has passed. You inhale deeply. It is a new day for you, from now until the end of your days. Turn to 840.

You’ll not find much in this bleak desert.
Where will you travel now?
     West, to Lhasbreath (turn to 775)?
     North, to the Tumblestones (turn to 137)?
     Northeast, to the Granite Hills (turn to 275)?
     East, to Lhasbreath Oasis (turn to 590)?
     Southeast, towards the Mordain ruins (turn to 515)?
What's next?

NameFightingSurvivalStealthCharismaLoreHealthCaster?GearNotes
Sar Jessica Dayne6(9)224(6)310/10xSteel Greatsword (Fighting +3)*, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Fairbrother Family Crest, Ring of the Patriarch, Seal of House Ross, Talisman of St. Elias:loveya: x3 for Tasha
Lord Ti'quon3(5)222(3)6(8)6/6Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Chain Armour (Armour +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Tome of Knowledge (Lore +2), Grey Talisman, Magical Weave, Scroll of Rage, Vial of Quicksilver
Tasha4(6)5(6)7(8)5(7)110/10xSteel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Dragonyak Horn, Potion of Invulnerability:loveya: x3 for Jessica
Akihiro7(10)64(6)1(2)3(5)4/10xMasterwork Blade (Fighting +3), Skallos Runeblade (Fighting +3, Lore +2), Crude Blade x4, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armor (Armor +2), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Potion of InvulnerabilityEnlightenment
Skullcracker8312112/12xClub (Fighting +0)No carrying, no cities, no boats

Money: 4630 silver coins.
Spellbook (Ti'quon): Armor of Heaven, Clinging Dread (50), Ice Bolt, Magic Cabinet, Soothing Touch, Unfailing Strike
The Vault: Bar of Gold Bullion, Incense
Codes: A1, A2, A8, A13, A14, A15, A16, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A33, A34, A35, A36, A37, A41, A42, A43, A44, A52, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A68, A69, A70, A71, A72, A74, A75, A76, A77, A78, A79, A80, A82, A85, A86, A87, A89, A90, A91, A92, A93, A94
Your Armies: Luutanesh Spears (Strength 3, Morale 3, Saltdad Barracks), Faithful Irregulars (Strength 1, Morale 4, Saltdad Barracks), Kensai Warriors (Strength 4, Morale 3/4, Saltdad Barracks), Chalice Archers (Strength 2, Morale 3, Saltdad Barracks), Lhasbreath Berserkers (Strength 5, Morale 2, Saltdad Barracks), Spears of Unbraaki (Strength 3, Morale 4, Saltdad Barracks), Nomad Horsemen (Strength 4, Morale 3, Saltdad Barracks).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to give the Masterwork Blade to Tasha, heal at the nearest inn, and to return to the Akihiro's trial leader to find out what happens next.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Do we get to open another invasion quest on Cursus, or is the war going to be left hanging?

Either way, if we going back to Chalice, I vote to go north, explore the Salt Plains, then turn east to Saitdad again before continuing along the road to Chalice.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

We travel north, then north-east, then east, to Saltdad, and visit the palace for free heals and to check in on the state of the war council.

If you have the code A100, turn to 421. If you have the code A33, turn to 540. If not, read on.
You meet with the Everchild in the war room at the palace. She and her generals are poring over a huge map of the valley, with a particular focus on the city of Clifftop. “Welcome back, my friends,” she smiles. “As you can see, we are planning our attack on Clifftop. Due to the relative fertility of the land, and reinforcements from Cursus, Clifftop possesses a large, if undisciplined army. I would feel confident going into battle against them with six units from the Saltdad garrison. Any less than that would be... risky. However, you’ve been stalwart commanders of my forces, and you got me this city. So tell me. Are we ready to launch an attack on Clifftop?”
     Order the attack (turn to 610)?
     Wait until you have more soldiers (turn to 620)?
     Have a private word with the Everchild (turn to 488)?

Representatives from all the settlements in the valley, bar Cursus, now fill the Everchild’s war room. A map of the valley, carved onto the wall behind the throne, illuminates the Everchild’s many lands and legions. A hush descends as the girl queen enters the chamber and climbs the platform which raises her seat above all others. She clicks her fingers, and Che Long, her guardian, presents her with a long, steel sword. She points it at the map, right above Cursus.
     “There is now only one obstacle that stands between us and the unity of the valley,” says the Everchild boldly. “Cursus has not been idle. The patriarch has hired mercenaries from Royce and Thalsia to bolster his armies of fanatics. Despite sorcery being forbidden in their religion, they have employed the dark wizard Descantos to fortify their defences. The Cursites have skilled warriors. The Cursites have loyal warriors. But they do not have warriors who are both skilled and loyal. Something must give, and it is this mis-match between their forces that I intend to exploit.”
     “To bolster our chances,” she continues, returning the sword to Che Long, “I intend to rob the patriarch of some of these advantages. My agents will either dispose of Descantos or pay-off the mercenaries to abandon the patriarch’s cause. I believe that without either of these advantages, the patriarch cannot hold against us.”
     “What of your safety, majesty?” prompts one of her generals. “The attempts against your life have increased in intensity since you took Clifftop. We have reason to believe another attempt will be made on the eve of battle.”
     “My personal security is peerless, and my followers loyal, do not fear for me,” rebuts the Everchild. “All I require of you is that you look to your legions.”
     She turns to you with expectation. “And you, my friends, tell me: Is now the time to make the attack?”
     Launch the attack now (turn to 268)?
     Or wait until you are ready (turn to 620)?
Begin the campaign against Cursus? Turn in Akihiro's quest? Something else?

Sar Jessica Dayne6(9)224(6)310/10xSteel Greatsword (Fighting +3)*, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Fairbrother Family Crest, Ring of the Patriarch, Seal of House Ross, Talisman of St. Elias:loveya: x3 for Tasha
Lord Ti'quon3(5)222(3)6(8)6/6Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Chain Armour (Armour +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Tome of Knowledge (Lore +2), Grey Talisman, Magical Weave, Scroll of Rage, Vial of Quicksilver
Tasha4(7)5(6)7(8)5(7)110/10xMasterwork Blade (Fighting +3), Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Dragonyak Horn, Potion of Invulnerability:loveya: x3 for Jessica
Akihiro7(10)64(6)1(2)3(5)10/10xSkallos Runeblade (Fighting +3, Lore +2), Crude Blade x4, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armor (Armor +2), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Potion of InvulnerabilityEnlightenment

Money: 4630 silver coins.
Spellbook (Ti'quon): Armor of Heaven, Clinging Dread (50), Ice Bolt, Magic Cabinet, Soothing Touch, Unfailing Strike
Codes: A1, A2, A8, A13, A14, A15, A16, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A33, A34, A35, A36, A37, A41, A42, A43, A44, A52, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A68, A69, A70, A71, A72, A74, A75, A76, A77, A78, A79, A80, A82, A85, A86, A87, A89, A90, A91, A92, A93, A94
Your Armies: Luutanesh Spears (Strength 3, Morale 3, Saltdad Barracks), Faithful Irregulars (Strength 1, Morale 4, Saltdad Barracks), Kensai Warriors (Strength 4, Morale 3/4, Saltdad Barracks), Chalice Archers (Strength 2, Morale 3, Saltdad Barracks), Lhasbreath Berserkers (Strength 5, Morale 2, Saltdad Barracks), Spears of Unbraaki (Strength 3, Morale 4, Saltdad Barracks), Nomad Horsemen (Strength 4, Morale 3, Saltdad Barracks).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to turn in Akihiro's quest before doing anything else.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I also think we should pay a visit to Cursus before we make the attack anyway. Wait.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

We take the road east again, passing through Luutanesh, and crossing the toll bridge into Chalice. There, we return to the Kensai temple, where our defeat of the shade of Akihiro's father (indicated by possession of the A52 code) results in this:

As you make your way to the steps of the temple you can see monks lining up on both sides. Many of the God King’s kensai bow deeply as you pass, recognising you as one of their own. You can see your family is also gathered here, including your mother and sister, looking so proud they are fit to burst.
     Honnu, now dressed in the shell-blue robes of a kensai, greets you with a bow. He takes you aside behind a screen, where you are presented with high-collared kensai robes (Armour +3) to change into. You emerge to cheers, the great and the good of Chalice turning out to applaud you. Gain the code A53.
     If Sar Jessica or Brash are present, they both gain a heart in their notes boxes for Akihiro. He looks particularly handsome in his fine kensai robes, and the loving praise being heaped upon him makes him seem even more attractive. Akihiro may also add a heart in his notes box for Sar Jessica or Brash (not both).
     The family curse is broken, Akihiro is at last at peace. Raise his Charisma score by 1 point. Now turn to 450.
Let me know if you want Aki to reciprocate Sar Jessica's heart, setting up a potential love triangle.
We can now rest for free at Akihiro's house. There's also an event there if Sar Jessica has two hearts for Aki, but she doesn't.
SGamerz wants to visit Cursus before the campaign against it begins, any objections?

Sar Jessica Dayne6(9)224(6)310/10xSteel Greatsword (Fighting +3)*, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2) x2, Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Fairbrother Family Crest, Ring of the Patriarch, Seal of House Ross, Talisman of St. Elias:loveya: x3 for Tasha
:loveya: x1 for Akihiro
Tasha4(7)5(6)7(8)5(7)110/10xMasterwork Blade (Fighting +3), Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Dragonyak Horn, Potion of Invulnerability:loveya: x3 for Jessica
Akihiro7(10)64(6)2(3)3(5)10/10xSkallos Runeblade (Fighting +3, Lore +2), Crude Blade x4, Shield (Armour +2), Kensai Robes (Armour +3), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Potion of InvulnerabilityEnlightenment

Money: 4590 silver coins.
Codes: A1, A2, A8, A13, A14, A15, A16, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A33, A34, A35, A36, A37, A41, A42, A43, A44, A52, A53, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A68, A69, A70, A71, A72, A74, A75, A76, A77, A78, A79, A80, A82, A85, A86, A87, A89, A90, A91, A92, A93, A94
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sure, set up the love triangle. Anything that potentially makes things more interesting.

(We should also trade in that grey talisman at Lhasbreath on our way back. How long have we been carrying it? I wanted to trade it at the first opportunity, but it's hard to remember which city has which temple without going back to check.)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sure I would like to have Akihiro add a heart for Sar Jessica.

And I vote to trade in the gray talisman and visit Cursus as well.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I sold the extra set of Bone Armour at the market before we left town, heading south past the Caves of Uranu, where we avoid a combat encounter by an heroic Survival test, to arrive at Cursus.

The city of Cursus is dominated by thirteen flat-topped step pyramids made of black stone. It is the spiritual and cultural centre of the valley, the domain of the millennia-spanning worship of the god of judgement. Priests and worshipers, dressed in long black robes, are commonplace. Only those inducted into the church can have a profession or own property in the city, so displays of sombre piety are everywhere. Slaves and the faithless toil in the fields around the rushing Cold River, which feeds into a magnificent harbour. Sadly, for the city, all too few merchant vessels stop here. Cursus may be rich by the standards of the valley, but it has few trade goods to share with the outside world, and Clifftop tends to dominate the salt trade, being closer to the trade routes of Royce.

Dominating the centre of the city is the Grand Ziggurat, the political and financial centre of the city. From here the priests of Cursus calculate their taxes and work to expunge all other faiths in the valley.
     Find an inn (turn to 201)?
     Go to the marketplace (turn to 375)?
     Go to the slave market (turn to 595)?
     Visit the Grand Ziggurat (turn to 110)?
     Visit a small temple of Cursus (turn to 272)?
     Go to the harbour (turn to 33)?
     Explore the city (turn to 369)?
     Follow the Northroad out of the city (turn to 822)?
     Go northeast, following the eastern bank of the river (turn to 625)?
     Go west, into the desert (turn to 657)?
What would you like to do?

Akihiro7(10)64(6)2(3)3(5)10/10xSkallos Runeblade (Fighting +3, Lore +2), Crude Blade x4, Shield (Armour +2), Kensai Robes (Armour +3), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Potion of InvulnerabilityEnlightenment
:loveya: x1 for Sar Jessica

Money: 4740 silver coins.
Codes: A1, A2, A8, A13, A14, A15, A16, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A33, A34, A35, A36, A37, A41, A42, A43, A44, A52, A53, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A68, A69, A70, A71, A72, A74, A75, A76, A77, A78, A79, A80, A82, A85, A86, A87, A89, A90, A91, A92, A93, A94
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Oh, we don't have the incense block anymore?

Explore city and visit Grand Ziggurat.

(Also, if we could rest at Akhiro's house, does our caster also get to recover spell for free? If yes, then he should get Clinging Dead back. If not, then use the inn here now.)
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Sure I also vote to explore the city and then visit the Grand Ziggurat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

While resting Aki's house does allow us to refresh spells, there's no discount. I wasn't going to bother with Clinging Dread because it can only be used in Mass Combat, which seems to never happens by surprise, but since you brought it up, done.

Exploring the city only gets us another encounter with that vendor willing to pay 100 moneys for a loud jungle bird. Approaching the Grand Ziggurat is somewhat more interesting...

If you have the code A100, turn to 823. If not, read on.
The Grand Ziggurat is one of the largest buildings in the valley, dwarfed only by the colossal Saltdad palace. Guarding its steps are the fanatical Cursus Temple Guard, the elite soldiers of the patriarch. They halt you as you begin to climb the steps.
     “Hold there, filthy heathens!” they spit. “Only true followers of Cursus are allowed within!”
     If you have a ring of the patriarch, turn to 387. Otherwise, only party members who have Ritual Scarring (Cursus) are permitted to enter the ziggurat. Those without the scarring must wait outside, and you cannot use their equipment or abilities until you leave the ziggurat.
     Enter the ziggurat (party members without Ritual Scarring must wait outside), (turn to 574)?
     Return to the town centre (turn to 340)?

As soon as you show the ring, the guards become humble. “Forgive us, great ones, we did not know!” they whisper. “Naturally, you may pass!”
     Hoping your cover will not be blown, your party makes its way inside. Turn to 574.

The inside of the ziggurat is not what you expected. Although there is a single, ceremonial religious hall for important funerals, the majority of the chambers are dedicated to running the government. Tax offices, religious regulators and financial departments are scattered across the temple, with dozens of black-robed orderlies running messages between them. Of course... the vault lies just beneath your feet as well.
     Visit the keeper of the holy purse (turn to 323)?
     Visit the zealotry commission (turn to 867)?
     Attempt to rob the vault (turn to 281)?
     Leave the Great Ziggurat (turn to 340)?

Money: 4690 silver coins.
Spellbook (Ti'quon): Armor of Heaven, Clinging Dread, Ice Bolt, Magic Cabinet, Soothing Touch, Unfailing Strike
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Go down the list in order (I think if we do the robbery first, we'd probably have to leave in a hurry). Keeper of the Holy Purse first.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

That makes sense (though I suspect we might be chased off by things we do in other options anyway), to the Holy Purse.

(I don't remember ever seeing a zealotry commission before)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

To the keeper of the holy purse...

The keeper of the holy purse is in charge of tax administration, specifically the religious tithes paid by other cities. He is a fat, wealthy priest, who eyes you lazily as you enter. If you have an iron sceptre, turn to 153. If not, the keeper has no time for you, and has you pushed out of his office. Turn to 574.
This is part of a quest you do for the iron king to negotiate his tithes lower, but it's moot now because Saltdad is under a new and non-tithing management.

To the zealotry commission...

If you have the code A40, you find the commission abandoned (turn to 574). If not, read on.
     You catch the zealots deep in arguments over the proper punishment for a foreigner who has shown disdane towards a Cursite temple. Some moderates suggest merely the removal of a toe would be appropriate. Various forms of grisly death are suggested by the majority. As you enter, the High Zealot himself rises in fury. “You’d better have a good reason for disturbing a meeting of the Zealotry Commission! Or it’s a hundred strokes of the whip across your back!”
     If you have the scrolls of Cursus, turn to 727.
     If you don’t, but you do have the ring of the patriarch, turn to 312.
     If you have neither of these items, turn to 521.

You quickly show the High Zealot your ring, before he can summon the guards. The zealot snarls and sits back down. “I find it distasteful that the patriarch sees fit to employ such godless servants – but his will be done. You may leave.”
     You don’t need to be told twice. Turn to 574.
To attempting to rob the vault...

If you have the code A83, turn to 327. Acting casually, you take a flight of steps down into the bowels of the pyramid. You hear the sounds of guards ahead, and cautiously peek around a corner. A long, wide hallway held aloft by pillars, leads into the darkness. A guard post, occupied by the Temple Guard, has been set up here. A dozen guards whisper and game by torchlight. To sneak past so many will require great skill. Make the test below, or return to the main floor by turning to 574.
     Sneak past the Temple Guard (Team check)
     Skill and DC: Stealth (5+)
     Successes Required: 4

If you succeed, turn to 183. If you fail, you, and any companions outside, are caught by the guards. Turn to 55.
Do we risk it or turn back?

Spellbook (Ti'quon): Armor of Heaven, Clinging Dread, Ice Bolt, Magic Cabinet, Soothing Touch, Unfailing Strike
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Take the risk.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Risk it, in the hope that being caught by guards leaves to a bloody battle rather than an insta-kill.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Stealth team has 14d v 5+:2,3,5,1,6,2,3,1,1,5,4,3,5,1=4, success!

Dashing from one pillar to the next as each guard turns their back, you manage to creep as stealthily as mice until you are out of sight of the guards. Eventually you reach the back of the hallway and come to the vault door. It is a colossal slab of black marble. It has no lock, nor handle, and needs none. Its weight alone is designed to ensure it stays closed. It would take half a dozen men to open this door in normal times. Can you manage it yourselves?
     Open the vault (Team check)
     Skill and DC: Fighting (6+)
     Successes Required: 4

Note: If you have a prybar, the DC becomes 5+. If you succeed, turn to 498. If you fail, each party member loses 1 Health point from the strain. You can try again until you succeed, losing 1 Health point each time you fail, or give up and return to the main floor (turn to 574).
Well, I miss our prybar. This is basically the Kingpin's vault, and we're more Daredevil than Spider-man.
Fight team has 19d v 6+:4,5,2,4,2,3,4,1,6,3,2,4,3,3,3,5,2,4,4=0. 1 damage to everyone.
How many times shall we try before giving up?

Sar Jessica Dayne6(9)224(6)39/10xSteel Greatsword (Fighting +3)*, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Fairbrother Family Crest, Ring of the Patriarch, Seal of House Ross, Talisman of St. Elias:loveya: x3 for Tasha
Lord Ti'quon3(5)222(3)6(8)5/6Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Chain Armour (Armour +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Tome of Knowledge (Lore +2), Grey Talisman, Magical Weave, Scroll of Rage, Vial of Quicksilver
Tasha4(7)5(6)7(8)5(7)19/10xMasterwork Blade (Fighting +3), Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Dragonyak Horn, Potion of Invulnerability:loveya: x3 for Jessica
Akihiro7(10)64(6)2(3)3(5)9/10xSkallos Runeblade (Fighting +3, Lore +2), Crude Blade x4, Shield (Armour +2), Kensai Robes (Armour +3), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Potion of InvulnerabilityEnlightenment

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'm going to vote that we go all in - try it till Ti'quon is down to his last Health, let him cast Soothing Touch, then try it 2 more times if necessary.

And pray hard that there are no guardians we have to fight inside (well, if there is we'd have Ti'quon spam all his combat spells).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

That sounds reasonable, second that.

(It'd be a really stupid way to die, trying to open a heavy door. At least it should zap us or something)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Attempt 2: Fight team has 19d v 6+:6,3,5,6,4,1,2,1,5,4,3,2,6,6,6,2,6,1,4=6, success.
Turns out that second time's the charm.

Straining every sinew, you scrape the door open inch by inch. To your anger you see that this door merely leads to the vault’s antechamber, an even larger vault door standing on the other side that would take a dozen men to open. Fortunately, the antechamber does contain some easily accessible treasure. You find 500 silver coins, an odd crystalline wand labelled as a wayfinder rod, a bar of gold bullion and a block of incense.
     There are also a number of financial records, none of which look valuable at first. However, one book catches your eye. It is a royal ledger, which bears the crest and authority of House Goldwell, the royal family of Royce. In it are detailed a number of transactions to purchase slaves from Cursus for the royal plantations in the Splintered Isles. The purchase of slaves is illegal in Royce... what is the king up to? Take the ledger, if you wish.
     Breaking into the patriarch’s vault has been the heist of a lifetime. Choose a party member and roll two dice. If you exceed that party member’s Stealth score, raise it by 1 point permanently. You silently return to the ground floor of the pyramid.
Record the code A83 and turn to 574.
That takes us back to the ziggurat hub, where there's nothing left to do except leave. Is there anything else you want to do in the city? If not, what's next?
Also, who gets the possible Stealth boost?

Sar Jessica Dayne6(9)224(6)39/10xSteel Greatsword (Fighting +3)*, Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Fairbrother Family Crest, Ring of the Patriarch, Seal of House Ross, Talisman of St. Elias, Royal Ledger:loveya: x3 for Tasha
Lord Ti'quon3(5)222(3)6(8)5/6Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Chain Armour (Armour +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Tome of Knowledge (Lore +2), Grey Talisman, Magical Weave, Scroll of Rage, Vial of Quicksilver, Wayfinder Rod
Tasha4(7)5(6)7(8)5(7)19/10xMasterwork Blade (Fighting +3), Steel Scimitar (Fighting +2), Shield (Armour +2), Bone Armour (Armour +2), Amulet of Defense (Armour +1), Warm Cloak (Survival +1), Soft Boots (Stealth +1), Glittering Necklace (Charisma +2), Dragonyak Horn, Potion of Invulnerability, Bar of Gold Bullion:loveya: x3 for Jessica
Akihiro7(10)64(6)2(3)3(5)9/10xSkallos Runeblade (Fighting +3, Lore +2), Crude Blade x3, Shield (Armour +2), Kensai Robes (Armour +3), Fine Boots (Stealth +2), Handsome Brooch (Charisma +1), Incense, Potion of InvulnerabilityEnlightenment

Money: 5190 silver coins.
Codes: A1, A2, A8, A13, A14, A15, A16, A17, A20, A21, A23, A24, A25, A26, A27, A30, A32, A33, A34, A35, A36, A37, A41, A42, A43, A44, A52, A53, A54, A55, A56, A57, A58, A59, A62, A64, A65, A66, A67, A68, A69, A70, A71, A72, A74, A75, A76, A77, A78, A79, A80, A82, A83, A85, A86, A87, A89, A90, A91, A92, A93, A94
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Awesome.

We should trade that incense block immediately at the temple while we're still in Cursus. And totally use that second gold bullion to rebuild the Bronze Guard, which we might very well need for the Cursus invasion.

Do we have another incense block via the Magic Cabinet? Retrieve that now and trade both blocks (and rest at the inn to recover the spell).

After trading off the incense blocks and using the inn, go west to Lhasbreath to trade off the grey talisman too, then northeast to pass through the Black Wall and use that wayfarer's rod, before continuing back to Saltdad and rebuild the Bronze Guard.

EDIT: Oh, I keep forgetting - let Akhiro try for the stat boost, since he has a higher chance of making the roll.
Last edited by SGamerz on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:19 pm
(It'd be a really stupid way to die, trying to open a heavy door. At least it should zap us or something)
This reminds me of a scene in the Lone Wolf gamebooks where he literally fought a door as an enemy. It wasn't some supernatural/demonic/animated door that was hitting back or magically zapping/draining him, it literally was to simulate him trying to break the door down to gain access to what is behind.

The stupidest thing was that, unlike the scene in this book, there was no option to stop and give up. It was break the door down or die in the attempt (he wasn't trapped in a room or anything, he was just trying to gain access to an admittedly important quest item).