Save My Game: Managing Artificers and Constructs

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

Save My Game: Managing Artificers and Constructs

Post by User3 »

My own shameless exploitation of the psionics rules has driven two of my DMs to ban psionics from their campaigns in 3rd Edition alone!

Good times.

One of the better "Save My Game" articles, because he asks DMs to analyze the relative power and importance of a class' ability before they neuter it. Although I don't really think that artificer constructs qualify as balance disruping unless they're "custom" (i.e. cheating), or tiny 'aid another' swarms. Maybe disrupting time-wise.

Anyway, here is the link: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050923a
User3
Prince

Re: Save My Game: Managing Artificers and Constructs

Post by User3 »

He doesn't really get in to any of the real madness that an Artificer can do with constructs - mostly because he doesn't seem to know. Artificers can bypass prerequisites, which means that an Artificer can make a construct bruiser that's bigger than the party fighter at a fairly young age. And then again the artificer can pull up constructs with stupidly useful powers like the Stained Glass Golem's Magic Immunity that can be used for all kinds of elaborate systems of ropes and pulleys to solve all kinds of problems. Of course, who cares?

As the article says, you have to compare the ability to what else is available at that level and even by that character. Sure, a 10th level Artificer can replace the party fighter with an Iron Golem, but the same character could also be skilldancing for infinite holy words. The party druid could octofu herself into replacing the party fighter in core.

-Username17