Read the sticker: Complete Divine Stuff.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Read the sticker: Complete Divine Stuff.

Post by Username17 »

Some people wanted me to rant, so here I am ranting. I'm back in SC for the weekend, so I might as well after all. The Complete Divine is nominally written in seven chapters, although the astute will notice that several of these chapters are not especially different from each other and the book could have presented essenially similar data in five chapters. Nevertheless, we'll be ranting about each chapter in order.

First, a general statement about the editting: everyone who says it is a disgrace is absolutely correct. Page XX is reference more times than I can be bothered to count, it's pathetic and hurts me.

Chapter One

Chapter one comes off to a bad start, by going on a rant about people's relationships to divine authority that seems based on people's real-life relationship to the Roman Catholic Church in the 13 hundreds. What possible relevence this could have to a world in which there are actual gods who grant spells to the faithful and explain their precepts in no uncertain terms to anyone who asks is beyond me. Then it makes some classes, which are nominally Core Classes.

Favored Soul: Since Divine Spells are granted, the Cleric already doesn't gain spells through "laborious training" but through inherent wisdom. So the difference between the Favored Soul and the Cleric is pure game mechanics - from a flavor standpoint they are exactly the same. From a game mechanical standpoint they are just like Clerics except that they trade spellcasting and combat effectiveness for a good reflex save, which is terrible.

Shugenja: It's a divine dedicated caster, so it comes wih all kinds of problems. For example, there's no reason for such a character to not wear heavy armor despite their lack of proficiency. And while they can break the system like that - they still suck.

Spirit Shaman: It uses the spells prepared/day system of Arcana Unearthed, Monte should sue. Regardless, there are many cool things here, but the description is rambling and doesn't actually fit into the rest of the D&D cosmology at all. From a practicality standpoint, these guys are just like Druids who trade Wildshape for having a pretty cool flavor thing going on. And since Druids can have whatever damn flavor they want, these guys just kind of blow.

So there you have it: in chapter one you are ranted at in a completely incoherrent way about how people react to gods in a world which is in no way similar to D&D, at a level of depth and comprehensibility not unlike a Middle School English Report. Then you are offered an inferior and perplexing Cleric, an inferior and perplexing Wizard, and an inferior and perplexing Druid. All of them have bad game mechanics (as in, do not function well), and all of them are bad game mechanically (as in, you take a power hit for playing one). So unless you really want to punish your DM and yourself by making it so your DM can't understand what your character does and your character can't do much - you can pretty much ignore this entire chapter.

Chapter 2 - Prestige Classes ad naseum

First, a note: The Complete Divine doesn't have the Complete Warrior's misprint about losing prereqs for PrCs, so go nuts.

Black Flame Zealot: In general, this class is somewhat inferior to the "prestige class" of taking a couple of levels of Rogue and a couple of levels of Cleric. It's like being an Assassin Cleric, but instead of getting a MyTh like double progression, you don't. And it's not like Assassin and Cleric add to each other in any way at all, so this class is just sort of sad.

Blighter: Superficially, these guys suck my butt - since they are just like Druids except that they get worse powers and struggle for a long time with inferior spellcasting. I mean, undead wild shape is like a bone in your bone - it totally bones you and not in a good way. You end up short in the pants in the every fashion. But you actually just have to have a BAB of 4+, and previously be capable of casting 3rd level Druid spells (you don't even have to currently have any Druid levels). This means that you can do elaborate stuff with level loss, restoration, Polymorph, spellstoring, and/or imbue with spell-ability to be a 10th level Blighter and cast 9th level spells by level 14. Sure your Undead Wildshape is the suck, and your spell list is the suck, but when you have Implosion at 13th level who gives the damn?

Church Inquisitor
Oddly, this class is virtually impossible to qualify for, because you have to find corruption within a Lawful Good Religious Order. This is D&D, the game with absolute alignments. Lawful Good Religious Orders don't have corruption, that's why they are Lawful Good. :shrug:
Anyway, this class is a straight power-up, and gives you some nice immunities. If you can take it, which you can't, you definately want to.

Consecrated Harrier:
Weirdly nerfed, the Complete Divine CH just makes us cry. The book might as well have had a sticker on it "If you aren't a Cleric or a Druid, fvck you fvcking fvcks, we'll fvck your character up so fvcking hard you won't even be able to fvck. Fvck!" The class still only really functions in a game where ever adventure is always "The order you work for gives you a mission, then you complete the mission", but now the bonuses you get aren't even good. In the future, always check the sticker to see if a book will fvck your character concept.

Contemplative
Have I before mentioned the fact that this book hates Wizards? Well, it does. It even goes so far as to prevent Wizards from taking this class multiple times, in that it requires that you have divine spellcasting, and then goes on to tell you that you can't get anything good if you don't have any divine spellcasting. :wtf:
Regardless, it's still only one level long, only now you can't use it as a Wizard to get True ressurection any more. You'll just have to settle for using Greater Planar Binding.

Divine Crusader:
This is your last chance to become a Cleric. Sure you are not as good as a Cleric, so the fact that you go down to Cleric BAB makes you asstastic, but um... you get shiny pants. Isn't that enough for you people?
Seriously, there is not a single good god damned reason for this class to exist. It gives bad BAB for a Fighter and bad spellcasting for a Cleric. You could totally just have been a Cleric and be better in every measurable fashion.

Divine Oracle
Have I mentioned recently the complete uselessness of gaining a Dodge bonus against Traps? If it's going off, you probably are flat footed, so you don't even get the Dodge bonus. Anyway, this class is another, if minor, bonus to Clerics. But again, their hatred of Wizards is so intense that they won't even let you take it as an Arcane Spellcaster anymore.

Entropomancer
The only possible use for this stupid class is to take advantage of the Monster Manual rules on non-associated levels to give extra hit points and save bonuses to Monstrous Clerics.

Evangelist:
There is no reason you would ever play this class, but there is also no reason why any Enchanter would go out on the town without a cohort with one level of Evil Evangelist. None at all.

Geomancer
Richard Redman told me specifically that that they were going to fix the loophole by which you could be someone who had access to arcane spell-like abilties and be a cleric who happens to turn all spells into spell-like abilities. They didn't. This class is totally incomprehensible, basically useless, and apparently broken. Good times are had by all.

More later.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Read the sticker: Complete Divine Stuff.

Post by Username17 »

More Prestige Classes. Oh my goodness, there are a lot of PrCs in this book, and they each take a careful rebuttal. Here's the continuation of Chapter 2:

The Holy Liberator

Remember how people who want to play Holy Liberators are neither Clerics nor Druids? They totally get screwed. Divine Grace at level 4, and they don't get Turning at all, and of course, no rebate for Ex-Paladins. The new version seems to have "improved" them into being slightly less useful than they were previously. They are less of a dipping class and therefore less good.

Hospitaler
The old Hospitaler was extremely powerful, because there was no special reason why you couldn't take it as a Pure Cleric and pocket all the martial prowess for free. The new Hospitaler loses three caster levels and gets less martial prowess, so a Cleric doesn't even want it. Granting bonus caster levels to a half caster is retarded under 3.5 rules, so Paladins don't want it, and it now requires that you be a Spellcaster, so Fighters can't even get it. In all, the Hospitaler has gone from an over-powered Cleric option to being a sixth choice for everyone that noone will ever play. I'm not sure how that's an improvement.

Pious Templar
The original Templar was a decent (and commonly used) as a one-level dip for people who wanted to ever use Weapon Specialization, and modestly OK for four whole levels. 3.5 fixed that good, by reducing all of the Pious Templar's abilities and moving Weapon Specialization down two levels. That and making it require one of the crapiest Fighter Feats ever (True Believer) makes it a class you will now rarely if ever see.

Radiant Servant of Pelor
There is no reason to not take this class. The only question is whether you want to take it as soon as you can, or wait until you can muster up to Cleric 8 to make your BAB progression work out better. It costs you one hit point per level, and makes you better with Light, Healing, and Undead Killing. It also gives you better saves and some decent immunities. Pelor is the best God in the PHB, and gives the best PrCs, not worshipping Pelor is manifestly a mistake.

Rainbow servant
Aside from the wacky game mechanical ramifications of giving out the Good and Law Domains to people who are not necessarily Good or Lawful - thereby allowing them to kill themselves without a save with their own Holy Words if they use enough Orange Ioun Stones - this class hasn't got much to offer. Basically, you suck, and this class is just a reminder of how much this book hates you if you aren't a Cleric or a Druid. Clerics get better Hit Dice, BAB, Saves, Spell Acquisition Styles, Spell Casting Parameters, Feat Access, Armor Use, and Weapon Selection, supposedly because for the exclusive reason that their spell list isn't as good. So naturally a class which costs four levels of spellcasting to be able to learn (not even know, just to learn) spells off the spell list which is supposedly so god damned crappy that it's worth all that crap to get access to the spell list you actually have instead. Arrgh!

Sacred Exorcist
There is no drawback to this class. At all. It's not even like RSoP, it doesn't even cost hit points. It puts you on a worse Save Progression chart, but since it restarts the chart it actually makes your saves a little bit better. None of the abilities are actually very exciting, but it's better than nothing, which is what you get if you don't take this class. Unlike all the other classes in the book, this class can be taken by Wizards, which means you should, since it's a power-up for clerics. So Good is strong, and evil is weak. You can write that down.

Sacred Fist
Unlike sanctifying your excorcism, sanctifying your fists makes you get punched in the balls. Hard. It's like a Mystic Theurge for Cleric Monks, only instead of getting both sets of abilities at the same time, you don't.

Seeker of the Misty Isle
All WotC books are required to have one frooty class that can only be taken by Elves, and this is it. It gives you the Travel Domain and all martial weapons if you happen to be a Druid, and is only one level long.

Shining Blade of Heironius
Heironius is as weak as Pelor is Strong. There is no reason for this class to even exist. You can take it as a Cleric - an act roughly on par with creating an elaborate Scooby Doo plan involving a frying pan, a rocket, and your crotch. Or you can take it as a Paladin - in which case you don't actually get any abilities at all, and eventually your party sends you off onto the ice to die.

Storm Lord
This isn't exactly bad if you are a Cleric Archer. It's not exactly good either. You are tarding all of your feats ever for the ability to have your poky bits sheathed in electricty. You can get a much better deal out of your feats elsewise, but I'm not going to kick your door down in an attempt to stop you from doing it. It's an intriguing self nerf, actually. The only people who can even use it are self-buffing Clerics (who are stupidly powerful), and there are much better builds for that than this class.

Temple Raider of Oliadarma
This class sucked in Loot and Lute, and it still sucks. It's one of those "counter theurge" classes that isn't worth anything.

Ur Priest
If you were even wondering if these guys were still broken, wonder no more, they totally are. Just for starters, at the end of their class they can take the efreet ability to grant wishes to mortals and grant their own wishes for free.

Void Disciple
Poorly written, and when combined with the rules on Epic Play in this book - completely unfinishable (you are barred from taking more than ten levels of a PrC pre-epic, and can only take the Epic levels of a class with 10 total levels). But regardless, it doesn't matter because it doesn't do anything.

War Priest
As a Cleric you can trade caster levels for spell-like abilities of spells you can cast anyway. Unless you are Epic (in which case you need this class and the Practised Spellcaster Feat), there is no reason to have this class.

More later.

-Username17
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Church Inquisitor
Oddly, this class is virtually impossible to qualify for, because you have to find corruption within a Lawful Good Religious Order. This is D&D, the game with absolute alignments. Lawful Good Religious Orders don't have corruption, that's why they are Lawful Good. :shrug:
Anyway, this class is a straight power-up, and gives you some nice immunities. If you can take it, which you can't, you definately want to.

Well, it would work in Eberron, but that still leaves it as a stupid choice for a supplement to the core rules. Unless they're going to get all the NG clerics who violate the order's rules for the greater good.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Yeah, in standard D&D, isn't exposing corruption along the lines of casting Detect Evil, and saying: "Dudes, cast Detect evil on this guy?"
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

I guess you could have the high lord priest charmed by a succubus and he's unwittingly funneling money into her retirement fund that's supposed to be going to orphans.

But since you can qualify for it by character level THREE (making it the easiest and earliest to qualify-for PrC ever published by WotC), this might not be so certain.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't know, it still seems to me that it would work better in a morally ambiguous setting, like Eberron, to me.

Of course, I would also argue that a church inquisitor should be allowed to be evil as well. There's simply no reason why you can't have LE inquisitors.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Tae_Kwon_Dan
Journeyman

Post by Tae_Kwon_Dan »

If my Rogue ends up dying, I am SOOO a Cleric of Pelor and taking that PrC. Ye gods!
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1090382778[/unixtime]]But since you can qualify for it by character level THREE (making it the easiest and earliest to qualify-for PrC ever published by WotC), this might not be so certain.

A human fighter can qualify for forsaker by level 2.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A human fighter can qualify for forsaker by level 2.

I don't want to get this thread too bogged down in nitty gritty before I get back to Santa Cruz to rant about feats and spells, but no he can't.

A Human Monk can qualify for Farsaker at second level, as can a Cleric. But the Save Feats are not Fighter Bonus Feats, so no Forsaker at level 2. Not that you want to become a Forsaker at level 2 (or ever), but without being a Cleric or Monk, you can't.

While we're talking about profoundly stupid classes popping off of astoundingly anti-synnergistic classes, you can be a Survivor off of a single level of Commoner. Or for that matter, you can get yourself a level of Beholder Mage without meeting any prereqs at all save being a Beholder - a qualification which can be attained by virtue of being polymorphed into one. So if you can be the recipient of an 8th level spell at 1st level, you can hop right into Beholder Mage at 2nd level. This would get you 9th level spells at character level 6.

-Username17
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

FrankTrollman wrote:Pelor is the best God in the PHB, and gives the best PrCs, not worshipping Pelor is manifestly a mistake.

I never realized that. Which domains make him the best?
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Neil wrote:I never realized that. Which domains make him the best?

Simply Good and Sun is one of the nastiest Blaster-Cleric combos available.In 3.5, the Holy-Word type spells have gone from a stupid pet-trick to a no-save room clearing spell. As such, that simple +1 Caster Level at high levels is really powerful.

And of course, Sun is crazy-go-nuts berserk if you want to ever fight Undead (and is basically a must, since Undead Destruction scales so slowly normally).

---

You can certainly make other Cleric types (Archer Clerics, for example, want to worship gods that aren't printed in the PHB so they can get favored weapon: bow), but the Blaster Cleric worships Pelor - it makes you automatically win against any enemies with low hit dice and undead. And it's Core.

-Username17
canamrock
1st Level

Post by canamrock »

BTW, what's the misprint in Complete Warrior? Hadn't heard of it, and I still haven't read it through entirely.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

canamrock at [unixtime wrote:1090507051[/unixtime]]BTW, what's the misprint in Complete Warrior? Hadn't heard of it, and I still haven't read it through entirely.

The Complete Warrior says that losing the prereqs of a class make you lose all class features of that class. In 3.5, that is not the rule. The rule is that you need to make the prereqs to take the first level.

So it's a copy/paste error from 3rd edition sources, which many people who want to close the "loophole" of playing an ex-assassin point to as proof that 3.5 didn't "really" change that rule.

Of course, that leaves open the question of why many PrCs in 3.5 would have special notes in their prereq section that say what abilities get lost when they lose one or more of the prereqs (losing the favor of deities, for instance, makes you lose some of the abilties of many classes).

-Username17
canamrock
1st Level

Post by canamrock »

Oh, okay, that whole deal. I see why I didn't notice. lol Bleh, I dislike most alignment restrictions that are used for prestige classes anyways.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

It's amazing how good people are at ignoring that whole "core rules trump supplements" thing from the DMG.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

FrankTrollman wrote:In 3.5, the Holy-Word type spells have gone from a stupid pet-trick to a no-save room clearing spell.

I never noticed that. Thanks.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chapter Three!

Chapter Three is supposed to be about "supplemental rules", which would imply that it would have new game effects that might effect divine casters. Actually, it's basically just some new feats. It also has an Epic Section in this chapter, but that section doesn't actually introduce any new Epic Rules, and actually contains cut-and-paste errors so bad that it makes things just sort of incomprehensible. Everything past the feats is crap.

Now the feats basically fall into a few catagories:

Divine Feats
The one you'll hear the most about is Divine Metamagic, because it's fvcking insane. One of the authors announced that it is supposed to be less insane than that - but the fact remains that it can still be used to make magic items with metamagic at no additional cost (because it doesn't cost spell levels - an amulet of Divine Quickened True Strike costs 1800 gp, and can be made at level 3), and it can be slapped on any of your "sudden metamagics" to add metamagics on the fly for close to free. The one you'll hear less about, but which is still bat-shit nuts is Divine Spell-Power. It gives you +2-+5 on your caster level about 7 times a day. That's a bit crazy, and should appear in all Cleric Archer builds (even the ones that don't bother with Divine Metamagic).

Most of the others are total crap, as they follow the model Feat + Turning Attempt < a Spell. It's just weird. And dumb.

General Feats

The few "General Feats" in this book are not very general. You'll see people slobbering over Arcane Disciple, but I honestly don't understand why. I mean, it costs a feat and makes a primary caster just like a Cleric but worse in literally every possible way. I don't get it.

The important ones are of course Practised Spellcaster - which is the feat that finally hammers the final nail into breaking the Awaken loop, and Aligned Spell Focus. Since 3.5 nerfed Spell Focus into being total crap, it's nice to finally see them make a spell focus which simply affects every single spell you ever cast.

As a cheese side note, True Believer, while basically pointless, actually makes you automatically win D&D if you use the Relic rules, so look out for that.

Item Creation Feats
This is in fact only one feat, but it's so nuts that it needs its own section. The cost reduction on a Relic is 400 x Level x Level, and the cost of a Staff that has 50 charges and takes 2 charges per spell cast is 375 x Level x Level. So without doing anything funky, you can just have 25 times as many spell slots every day for free. Even better if you have True Believer, where you can simply have as many spell slots as you want with no limit for free.

Metamagic Feats
None of the Metamagic Feats introduced in this book are good.

Wild Feats

At first, these seem to be lame beyond belief, since they cost a feat and give you considerably less than just turning into something would and still cost Wildshape uses. Well, check the durations, some of them never ever end, and are thus some of the best feats ever printed. Serpent's Venom, for example, says that it only has a duration of one minute in the chart (which would make it useless), but the actual description (which trumps as the primary source) has no time limit - so it lasts forever and is totally pimp.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chapter Four - Magic

Nominally, this is about "magic", but then so is the entire book. Actually it's just about "Relics", which are the incredibly broken thing you can make out of chapter 3. The concept is that they are just like Artifacts except that you can only use them if you are a full-progression Divine Caster who worships a specific deity (which is Clerics... and um... other Clerics). That in and of itself is pretty bad game balance, but it makes a number of other bad game balance choices:

1. It gets a cost reduction based on how good you are - not on how powerful the item is (this allows free spell-charge items rather trivially).

2. It lets Clerics, and only Clerics, get access to new weapon properties, some of which are astoundingly powerful (having your weapon take an automatic readied attack against any opponent who performs a specific action in your threatened area - such as charge or cast spells - is apparently a +1 equivalent enhancement).

3. You can take a feat which eliminates the draw back of all of these items, regardless of how many of them you have.

4. Many of the special items are totally insane - the Tome of Boccob kicking your ass, for example, allows any character to perform free instantaneous spell research by simply rolling 00-89 on percentile dice, with retry seemingly allowed every seven and a half minutes. The Tome of Vecna kicking your ass gives +2 caster level forever and turns you into a Lich.

5. The way it's set up, a Rogue can use any of these things with a simple UMD roll, and for most of them there isn't even a consequence of failure.

---

Then the book pumps out a bunch of Staves. These are retarded, because none of them actually do anything interesting and are just some spell charges in a stick. There are totally rules for making any collection of spells in a stick you want, and these items just follow them (subject to some bad math). It's like taking up space in a splat book with lists of scrolls.

The only reason for the entire second part of this chapter is to fill up space and to allow the artists to draw some golden dildos.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chapter Five - Wasting our fvcking time

This chapter is all about Deities. It is basically a big list of deities with reprint descriptions from elsewhere. It also changes the domains on some of these bad boys. The only deities not given descriptions are the monster deities - you know, the only ones you would actually give a damn about because they are the ones which don't have descriptions in the core rules.

It also gives lists of potential Planar Allies sent by each of the gods, lists which conveniently forget the alignment of some of these Gods. Wee Jas, for instance, is listed as sending Horned Devils, which is fascinating for a God whose clerics are frequently Lawful Good (and who thus, cannot cast a spell that would get them a Horned Devil).

The only usable information in this thing is that it tells you which Core Gods get access to which of the domains printed in this book, but since the new domains also say which Core Gods get the domains right on them - this is again a waste of our fvcking time, like this whole chapter.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

So was looking at the Geomancer, and after a lot of checking, I found a small bit of REAL AND LASTING POWER bwah ha ha. Ha.

So, lets say you have Wiz levels(3) and Cleric 3/Sorcerer 1.

Now add your Geo levels to your Wiz casting.

Wiz must prepare their spells known from a spellbook with those spells, and Sorcerers get a number of spells known per level and cast them from unprepared slots.

For the bargain price of 4 levels, you can cast your wizard slots like a Sorcerer (cast spells known from available/unprepared slots). Since your Wizard "Spells Known" are basically unlimited since you can learn new spells with a simple Spellcraft check, you become the guy with like a million effects, even though your whole career you are going to be 2 full spell levels below the rest of the party.

You can even sell off your spellbook for the cash.

Add in the practiced Spellcaster, and you can at least cast your arcane and divine spells at full character level, since you are allowed to swap around any casting trait, you can use your good caster level off of your wiz class.

I'm not sure that anyone would buy this interpretation, but after looking at the Spell Versitality ability very carefully, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, Ur-priest will shave off a level of cleric.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

:lmao:

Its funny 'cause its true!
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

FrankTrollman

This is just a favor, and you can totally shoot it down if you want. But.

I'm about to play in a classic 3.0E game (using only feats from 3.0E stuff), and the guy running it will let me put in a Sacred Fist PrC. Mechanical problems with unarmed strike aside, I want one (a PrC) and perhaps a progression that will be competitive, even slightly worse than other clerics.

This is for a group that tolerates a moderate amount of min-maxxing, but non-rules lawyering. I don't care if your writeup is done Trogdor-style, but.

Thanks, whatever your response.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Or anyone, really...

Please... so lonely...
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I had a concept for a sacred fist revision I never got around to developing.

Basically, the idea was that you sacrificed caster levels to get non-magical, inherently metamagiced, and/or permanant versions of all of the buff spells which would be useful for a cleric/monk.

You'd start out with longstrider, jump, and shield of faith and top out with tenser's transformation and iron body.

Edit: And if you're really just lonely, my AIM, Yahoo IM and ICQ contact info can be found over on Nifty.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Here's a couple of basic ideas:

Damage should scale to character level, not class level. The reasoning behind this is that class levels are subject to multicasting hosings, but character levels are not.

Caster Levels should not be lost under any circumstances. That is not to say that you shouldn't be able to lose out on new spell levels, but that your spells should always be cast at the highest possible caster level. If they aren't, you end up with everything going to crazy town and people casting GMWs that are below par and being unable to meet SR. It's all bad.

BAB can't keep falling behind. Having a less than Fighter BAB is like being a multicaster in melee, and that's just not acceptable. I mean, there's Divine Power for goodness sake!

So keeping that in mind:

The Fist of Budha
Requirements:
BAB: +3
Concentration: 7 ranks
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Blind Fighting
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd level Divine Spells.

Saves: Fort: Bad; Reflex: Good; Willpower: Good.
BAB: Good (as Fighter)
Hit Die: d8
Skills/Level: 4 + Int Bonus/level
Class Skills: Alchemy, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Swim, Tumble

Level / Swag
1 Unarmed Damage, Ki Strike, Channel Strike, Spell Power +1
2 Weapon Focus: Unarmed Strike, +1 Caster Level
3 Weapon Specialization: Unarmed Strike, +1 Caster Level
4 Armored In Life, Ki Blast, Magic Hands, Spell Power +2
5 Ghost Touch, Abundant Leap, King on the Water, +1 Caster Level

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: The Fist of Budha gains no proficiencies with any armor or weapons.

Spell Casting: Upon taking the Fist of Budha class, the character must choose one of his divine spellcasting classes for Fist of Budha to be attached to. At 2nd, 3rd, and 5th level of Fist of Budha the character gains new spell slots, spell knowledge, and casting level as if he had gained a level in the chosen divine spellcasting class.

Spell Power: A Fist of Budha adds one to his spellcasting level in his chosen divine spellcasting class for purposes of level dependent effects. This in no way increases spell slots or spell knowledge. The bonus increases to 2 spellcasting levels at level four.

Unarmed Damage The Fist of Budha's unarmed damage is increased to a d6 (if it is currently less than that), the Fist of Budha's unarmed damage is also increased by one die type for every four full character levels he possesses (d8, 2d6, 2d8, etc.).

Ki Strike (Su): The Fist of Budha may count hisunarmed strikes as +1 magic weapons for the purposes of damaging incorporeal enemies, enhanced items, and creatures with damage reduction.

Channel Strike (Su): During a Full Attack action, a Fist of Budha may charge his hands with a Cure or Inflict spell as a free action. This counts as a quickened spell for the round, but uses up a normal spell slot.

Armored in Life (Su): At 4th level, the Fist of Budha's life is blessed by good fortune and right meditation. He has a +7 armor bonus at all times. This armor bonus has an enhancement bonus equal to one third of his character level (round fractions down), to a maximum of +5. This armor bonus is considered a force effect and is counted against Incorporeal Touch attacks.

Ki Blast (Su): At 4th level, as a full round action, the Fist of Budha may project a blast of pure Ki at an opponent within 30 feet. The attack is resolved as a ranged touch attack, but inflicts as much damage as the Fist's normal unarmed attack. This is a force effect. This is considered an unarmed strike for purposes of bonuses.

Magic Hands (Su): At 4th level, the Fist's unarmed strikes become magically enhanced. Any unarmed strike (including Ki Blasts) the Fist makes have an enhancement bonus equal to one third the Fist's character level (round fractions down).

Ghost Touch: At 5th level, the Fist's unarmed strikes are "ghost touch" and have no miss chance when attacking incorporeal opponents.

Abundant Leap (Su): At 5th level, the Fist's jumps are not limited by height, and the Fist gains a bonus on jump checks equal to his ranks in the Jump skill.

King on the Water (Su): At 5th level, the Fist gains a bonus on Balance, Climb, and Tumble checks equal to his ranks in Balance.

-Username17