Help Wording Something

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Help Wording Something

Post by fbmf »

I'm working on a variant sorcerer where one of his spells known of each level is taken up by what I call ANYSPELL. Casting ANYSPELL of a given level allows you to cast any spell on the sorcerer/wizard list that is at least one level lower than the spell slot you are using.

Is there a way I can word this so it does exactly that and is not abusable? We only play with core spells, if it matters.

Game On,
fbmf
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Re: Help Wording Something

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

Try this:

A sorcerer may cast any spell on his spell list, but, if he has not chosen this spell as one of his spells known, casting this spell uses a spell slot of its listed level +1. The spell level is considered as per the original when determining save DCs, spell level, etc. For example: Bogonza, a Sor4, wants to cast grease, but does not have grease as one of his sorcerer spells known. He can still cast grease, but this expends a second-level spell slot and in all other ways counts as a Sor4 casting a 1st-level spell.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Good idea. Any others?

Game On,
fbmf
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Do you have to take Anyspell for each level, or is it simply an option? Could I for instance, use my 2nd level slot for anyspell, then my 4th, then my 7th, etc. Or must I burn a spell known from each slot (including 1st)?
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Each level is what I had planned, but I'm taking all suggestions.

Game on,
fbmf
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

From the sound of things, it's going to be less a spell and more a class ability.

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

That's the goal.

Game On,
fbmf
Save_versus_Stupid
Apprentice

Post by Save_versus_Stupid »

Digging for any spell ever printed, in the current edition is a pretty boss ability.

Can "anyspell" be cast any number of times up to your caster limit? THe easiest balance I can see would be to say you can only anyspell once for each level. Gives you some versatility, but doesn't step on other casters who don't have their entire spell list memorized, only a caster level behind.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

The idea is to make the PHB sorcerer and wizard obsolete.

We only allow a dozen or so spells outside of core, so it isn;t a big deal.

Game On,
fbmf
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

My suggestion would be:

Casting unknown spells: A sorcerer may cast spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard list that he does not know, so long as he uses up a spell slot at least 1 level higher than the spell would normally require when casting the spell. If the spell in question has its required spell slot modified by metamagic feats or other concerns, the required slot increase for casting an unknown spell is applied after and in addition to those modifiers.

One variant Paul and I came up with was a character who could cast any spell off the Sor/Wizard list but had a very small number of spells per day. It made them pretty powerful, but actually conserve their fire power. It was interesting.

-Username17
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Well the easiest way to deal with spells known is to simply reduce all the values in the table by one. That way you dont' have to worry about the anyspell taking a slot.

Then you simply write out the ability like:

Anyspell: A sorcerer may cast a spell that isn't one of his spells known, but is on the sorcerer/wizard spell list by spending a spell slot at least one higher than the level of the spell he wishes to cast.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Heh, I do think you need to mention Metamagic, or the RAW will allow you to cast metamagiced anyspells for their normal cost. I'm not sure that's bad, since metamagiced spells are normally shitty, but it's probably not what you were looking for.

-Username17