Divine Assassin

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Essence
Knight-Baron

Divine Assassin

Post by Essence »

There's a contest at Nifty for revising the Assassin, and I'm not getting any real objections to my entry over there. I'm posting it here where people have opinions and aren't afraid to use them in the hopes that someone will help me make it better.

Hashashin

Clerics, paladins, favored souls…the servants of the gods are many and varied, it’s true. But all share a single attribute that makes them less than optimal for many deific tasks: they’re blatant. Every deity, at some point, recognizes the need for a special kind of operative; one unhindered by bulky equipment or a trivial moral code.

When this need must be filled, the gods choose someone – usually the most corrupt and self-serving criminal they can find – and offer him the ultimate reward: an eternity of total gratification at the right hand of the god in question. Whether they fulfill their end of the bargain once their pawn suffers the fate of all mortals, well, that’s another question entirely…

Alignment: Any (usually not compatible with the deity choosing the character)
Prerequisites: Sneak Attack +4d6; Bluff, Disguise, Hide, and Move Silently 10 ranks
Hit Die: d6
BAB: high
Saves: Ref and Will high
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier
Skill List: The hashashin’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Table: The Hashashin

Code: Select all

[br]01   Automatic ranks, death attack, glimpse of heaven, poison use, magic trick (0th)[br]02   Sneak attack +1d6, hide in plain sight, swift poison[br]03   Killer’s heart, a thousand faces, magic trick (1st)[br]04   Sneak attack +2d6, advanced death attack[br]05   Impossible hide, seal soul, grasp of heaven, magic trick (2nd)[br]06   Sneak attack +3d6, a thousand hearts, poison mastery[br]07   Advanced death attack, magic trick (3rd)[br]08   Sneak attack +4d6, swift hide, killer’s smile[br]09   A thousand minds, visiting heaven, magic trick (4th)[br]10   Sneak attack +5d6, advanced death attack, sunder soul, poison grand mastery[br]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the hashashin:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Hashashin are proficient with simple and small martial weapons, light armor, and no shields.

Automatic Ranks (Ex): Hashashin gain 1 rank in Bluff, Disguise, Hide, Move Silently, and Intimidate at 1st level (this cannot give them more ranks than the normal limit of character level+3). They gain one additional rank of each of these skills per class level.

Death Attack (Ex): By making a melee attack as a full-round action against an opponent who has lost his Dex to AC vs. the hashashin, the hashashin may force an opponent to make a Fortitude saving throw vs. a DC of 10 + class level + Charisma modifier or be instantly reduced to –1 HP.

Glimpse of Heaven (Ex): At 1st level, a hashashin is granted, by their deity, a glimpse of the eternal reward that awaits them at the end of their good service. This grants the hashashin a +1 morale bonus to all attack rolls, damage rolls, Death Attack DCs, and Bluff, Disguise, Hide, and Move Silently checks.

Poison Use (Ex): Hashashin suffer no chance of poisoning themselves when applying poison to a weapon.

Magic Trick (Sp): A hashashin learns to use a tiny trickle of divine energy granted to them to mimic a single minor magic spell. Choose a 0th level spell from the Bard or Assassin lists; the Hashashin may use that spell as a spell-like ability at will. Every other level, the Hashashin learns another magic trick of a spell level one higher than the previous trick learned. The DCs of these spells are set by the Hashashin’s Charisma modifier, and the hashashin must have a Charisma modifier of at least 10+spell level in order to use these magic tricks. The hashashin’s spell like abilities use his character level as their caster level.

Sneak Attack (Ex): If a hashashin can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from his attack, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
The hashashin’s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the hashashin flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 2nd level, and it increases by 1d6 every two hashashin levels thereafter. Should the hashashin score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a hashashin can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.
A hashashin can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The hashashin must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A hashashin cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): The hashashin can hide while being observed, and no longer takes a –20 penalty for attempting to do so.

Swift Poison (Ex): From 2nd level onward, a hashashin may poison a blade as a swift action.

Killer’s Heart (Ex): A hashashin of 3rd level or higher knows his duty to his deity, and it is to kill. The fragility of life – and, by extension, of all creation -- is an immediate fact of his daily life. This knowledge may crush the lighthearted, but the hashashin views it only as motivation, knowing that his end may come at any time. This knowledge makes the hashashin becomes immune to morale penalties.

A Thousand Faces (Sp): At 3rd level, a hashashin learns to use Alter Self as a spell-like ability at will

Advanced Death Attack (Ex): At 4th, 7th, and 10th levels, a hashashin chooses one ability off of the following list:

• Celerity: The hashashin may make a death attack as a standard action rather than a full-round action.
  • Dodge this: The hashashin may make a death attack that provokes a Reflex save rather than a Fortitude save.
  • Precision: The hashashin may make a death attack against a target that hasn’t lost its Dex to AC.
  • Potence: The hashashin’s death attack’s DC improves by 2 points.
  • Sever will: The hashashin may make a death attack that provokes a Will save rather than a Fortitude save.
  • True death: The hashashin may make a death attack that places his foe at –10 HP rather than –1 HP.

Impossible Hide (Ex): The hashashin can hide even in an environment that has no cover or concealment within range.

Seal Soul (Sp): The hashashin may, as a swift action, use the spell-like ability Soul Bind. Rather than providing the gem, the soul is stored in the hashashin’s weapon, which may hold any number of such souls. Once he has done so, he must wait 1d4 hours before being able to do so again.

Grasp of Heaven (Ex): From 5th level onward, the hashashin receives frequent visions of his eternal reward for a split-second whenever using his death attack ability. Whenever the hashashin successfully uses death attack, the morale bonus he receives from his glimpse of heaven ability improves by 1 point for the duration of the encounter, to a maximum of +4 additional points of morale bonus. This bonus stacks with itself.

A Thousand Hearts (Sp): A hashashin of 6th level or higher learns to mimic internal attributes the same way he mimics external attributes with his thousand faces ability. The hashashin may, as a standard action, alter his aura to fool divination spell of 6th level or lower. Would-be diviners see exactly what the hashashin wants to see. This ability can be activated once per day, and lasts a number of hours equal to the hashashin’s class level.

Poison Mastery (Ex): At 6th level, a hashashin becomes more proficient with poison, increasing his poison’s save DCs by 2. Furthermore, his poisons persist for an additional minute. The poison deals it’s secondary damage again at the end of this second minute.

Swift Hide (Ex): A hashashin of 8th level or higher may hide as a swift action immediately after taking an attack.

Killer’s Smile (Ex): From 8th level onward, a hashashin’s fatalism and willingness to die for his cause give him a twisted kind of smile…one that provokes fear in his enemies. Whenever the hashashin uses his death attack, takes a full attack action, charges, or uses the Intimidate skill, all enemies within 30’ must make a Will save DC 10+class level + Charisma modifier or become shaken.

A Thousand Minds (Sp): A hashashin of 9th level or higher may activate the spell-like ability Personal Mind Blank once per day. In addition, the aura projected by A Thousand Hearts can fool divinations of up to 8th level. This ability does not interfere with the hashashin’s deity’s ability to find, communicate with, or transport the hashashin.

Visiting Heaven (Ex): Once per day, at the end of any combat in which a hashashin of 9th level or higher successfully used his death attack ability, the hashashin may, for one minute, allow himself to be physically transported to his deity’s homeland to enjoy the rewards of his earthly service and preview what awaits him after his death. When the hashashin returns, he has received the spells Heal, Greater Restoration, Regeneration, and Break Enchantment.

Sunder Soul (Ex): At 10th level, whenever the hashashin’s death attack is a critical hit, he may sunder the victim’s soul, preventing it from being resurrected even by True Resurrection. Only a Wish or Miracle spell can be used to restore the sundered soul, which must then still be resurrected.

Poison Grand Mastery (Ex): A hashashin of 10th level who successfully poisons his foe deals maximum damage with that poison.

User3
Prince

Re: Divine Assassin

Post by User3 »

Two young candi­dates dine with Hassan; the food is laced with a time-release capsule. When asleep the candidates are taken to Hassan's famous "Garden of Delights." The capsule had released a heavy does of opium and they were quite thoroughly unconscious and unaware of their surroundings.
The garden — of officially known as the "the Garden of Delights" — covered several acres. Here candidates were prepared for admission to the Order of the Assassins: they were to become the most feared and legendary professional killers in history. But here also, in this same garden, were prepared candidates for admission to the Brotherhood of Light, the Illuminati. The candi­dates, in fact, were prepared the same way. They themselves selected, unknown to themselves, which order they would enter — the political Assassins or the mystic Illuminati.
Both young men were conveyed into the Garden of Delights and placed several acres apart from each other. In a short time, the second stage of the time-release capsule began to work; cocaine was released into their bloodstreams, thereby over­whelming the traces of the soporific opium and causing them to awaken full of energy and zest. At the same time, as they woke, hashish also began to be released, so they saw everything with exceptional clarity and all colors were jewel-like, brilliant, divinely beautiful.
A group of extremely comely and busty young ladies — imported from the most expensive brothel in Cairo — sat in a circle around each of the young candidates, playing flutes and other delicately sweet musical instruments. "Welcome to heaven," they sang as the awakening men gazed about them in wonder. "By the magic of the holy Lord Hassan, you have entered Paradise while still alive." And they fed them "paradise apples" (oranges), far sweeter and stranger than the earth-apples they had known before, and they showed them the animals of paradise (imported from as far away as Japan, in some cases),
Prometheus Rising 191
creatures far more remarkable than those ordinarily seen in Afghanistan.
"This is heaven!" the first young man exclaimed, in ecstasy. "Great is Allah, and great is the wise Lord Hassan Sabbah!"
But, twenty acres away, surrounded by similar lovely ladies and other wonders, the second young man merely gazed about him, smiled in contentment, and said nothing.
And then, in both cases, the houris of Paradise, as promised in the Koran, began to dance, and as they danced, they discarded one by one each of their seven veils. As the veils were thrown off, more and more hashish was released from the capsules and the young men saw with greater clarity, felt with deeper inten­sity, experienced beauty and sexual joy in a way completely unknown in their previous earth lives.
Then, as each young man sat entranced by the beauty and wonder of Heaven, the houris finished the dance, and nude and splendid as they were, rushed forward in a bunch, like flowers cast before the wind. And some fell at the candidate's feet and kissed his ankles; some kissed knees or thighs, one sucked raptly at his penis, others kissed the chest and arms and belly, a few kissed eyes and mouth and ears. And as he was smothered in this hashish-intensified avalanche of love, the lady working on his penis sucked and sucked and he climaxed in her mouth as softly and slowly and blissfully as a single snowflake falling.
In a little while, there was no more hashish being released and more opium began to flow into the bloodstream, the young candidates slept again; and in their torpor, they were removed from the Garden of Delights and returned to the banquet hall of the Lord Hassan.
There they awoke.
"Truly," the first exclaimed, "I have seen the glories of Heaven, as foretold in Al Koran. I have no more doubts. I will trust Hassan i Sabbah and love him and serve him."
"You are accepted for the Order of Assassin," said Hassan solemnly. "Go at once to the Green Room to meet your superior in the order."
When this candidate had left, Hassan turned to the second, asking, "And you?"
"I have discovered the First Matter, the Medicine of Metals, the Elixir of Life, the Stone of the Philosophers, True Wisdom and Perfect Happiness," said he, quoting the alchemical formula. "And it is inside my own head!"
Hassan i Sabbah grinned broadly. "Welcome to the Order of the Illuminati!" he said, laughing.

Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

…And exactly how big was that time-release pill?
squirrelloid
Master

Post by squirrelloid »

I love that quote - that is the Illuminatus Trilogy, yes? Or at least something related? I swear i've read it before.

Anyway, i love how this class is designed to look like its balanced within the seemingly current paradigm held by most people (eg, the one that makes casters totally own even though the fanboys won't admit it), and yet sneaks in all sorts of uberness totally unnoticed. Like alter self - i mean really, if you had to choose one spell to have access to at 2nd spell level...

Anyway, i'm going to say its good enough if you're ok with casters still owning, and does enough that it won't totally suck in late game play, you'll just be feeling a little short in the pants rather than like you had a vasectomy. Which is really the most one can expect from a non-caster.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

squirrelloid at [unixtime wrote:1153283067[/unixtime]]I love that quote - that is the Illuminatus Trilogy, yes? Or at least something related? I swear i've read it before.

Yes, that's a quote from Robert Anton Wilson.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Death Attack you have here really goes out of style very quickly.

It's a full-round action that can only be taken in melee, and it requires that the target be denied Dex bonus. That means that generally if you could make a Death Attack, you could full attack with both daggers as sneak attacks instead. As such, while it makes them make a Fort save, it inflicts substantially less damage than no doing it. As the character's sneak attacks (and attack routine) get bigger and bigger, the Death Attack falls farther and farther behind in relative damage oputput, while the Death DC remains about constant for the character's level.

So really, I think that attack is going to be something that people look at, shrug, and move on. The only thing that ever makes it interesting is the standard action death attack you get at 4th level. But even then, you're never going to use it when you're already in melee.

---

And attacks require Fortitude or Reflex saves, they don't provoke them. A provoked save would be one the victim could choose to take - like a provoked attack of opportiunity.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I think Frank is right about the death attack, I mean it is certainly much better than the death attack in the DMG but then again hoping that your target dies of AIDs is better than that mechanic. I would let them do it as a ranged attack. None of the 30' stuff either. Every magic using character can force a force save for death as a standard action as often as they need to pretty much. Letting the assassin snipe targets unawares provides some novel utility but it isn't way too powerful.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Death Attack: One of my pet peeves is an ability that has the same name as one that already exists, but different mechanics. Yes, assassin's death attack is so sucky no one ever actually uses it, but it's been replicated all over official WotC material so there's no getting rid of it. Call this ability something different.

Automatic Ranks: Awkward, awkward, awkward. So this is actually a 9+Int skills class with pre-selected skills? D&D 3e doesn't really support that, and I don't really think it should, either: skills are about distinguishing characters from one another, especially since they're mostly flavor abilities anyways. If you want hashashin to have Intimidate, make it a req. If you want to encourage them to take more, give them some relevant abilities based off Disguise and/or Intimidate. IMO, Bluff is good enough to make make anyone whose taken 10 ranks want to take more, the class already has plenty of abilities that improve Hide, and Move Silently is usually essential if you want to use Hide.

Hide in Plain Sight: Again, doesn't work like other versions of this ability. I'd split it up like a normal hide in plain sight ability (i.e., give the ability to hide while being observed and without cover/concealment, like the ranger's hide or the assassin's hide, only don't restrict it by terrain/availability of shadow so that someone might actually _use_ it), then have impossible hide drop the -20 penalty.
Essence
Knight-Baron

Post by Essence »

Catharz: Exactly! Now imagine what would happen if you actually had a god take you to Heaven...

Frank: The intention is to allow two Death Attacks (w/Battletide or any other effect that nets you a second standard action/round) against people who haven't lost their Dex to AC and allow one of two saves at 10th class level. Of course, there are other options, but that's what I basically expect most people to do.
I expect the total damage output to fall substantially behind a Rogue, but then, I expect the total effective damage output to keep up by frequently dropping a 190 HP foe to -1 HP in the first round.

Guest: In my personal campaigns, I'd certainly allow them to do it as a ranged attack. But this was posted for others, and Nifty in general doesn't play at the same level of power that my group does, so I toned it down slightly. But yeah, I agree.

Iaimeki: The mechanics with the same names replace those mechanics throughout my campaigns -- the Assassin's Death Attack is the same as the Hashashin's, and the Rogue's HiPS is the same as the Hashashin's.

Automatic Ranks is intended to prevent the class from having special abilities (HiPS, Glimpse of Heaven, Killer's Smile) that don't do anything functional. Every class that has a skill-dependent special ability should (and in my campaigns does) have Automatic Ranks for that skill. Having a Ranger with Track but no Survival is stupid.