What happened to the Book of X?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

What happened to the Book of X?

Post by Crissa »

Where the heck do I look for ideas of prestige classes and the Divine feats for Paladinand stuff like that?

Personally, after a couple levels in Paladin, it starts handing out weird stuff like turning attempts and mount which end up being weak versions of what the Cleric and Sorceror have... Where do I find tricks for this pony?

In short, where's a frickin' search engine for feats and classes?

-Crissa
User3
Prince

Re: What happened to the Book of X?

Post by User3 »

Paladin's tend to get the short end of the stick, as stuff for the dedicated paladin seems to be sprinkled in every splatbook(as an afterthought, it seems), vut they don't really have a single source just for them.

Frostburn has some ways to add to your spell list, the new Dragon Magic has substition features(turning dragons rather than undead), and Champions of Valor has a bunch of organizational substitution features for paladins(some of which are awesome) that you can adapt to a non-Faerun campaign.

My advice to is to wait for the Tome of Valor that Frank and I are doing.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

I hate Paladins.
And not because of their code of conduct. I like RPing codes of conduct. It is because of that damned horse. I despise it. A druid has that animal companion stuff whenever he wants, but a Paladin must summon his horsey. Ever tried fightin against a wizzard that dispels your horsey? Yeah, it's a laugh.
A druid gets a dire bear that whoops ass and when it dies, a druid sits around for a day and gets a new one. A paladin must mourn for a month. Because of a horse. Are paladins eight year old children? "Boo, my pony died, boo."
In fact, i think i hate druids and WotC more than paladins.

Edit.

So, when is Tome of Valor due?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

A Paladin's code is too uncompromising for my taste. They shouldn't be a core class because the kinds of parties they can work with is very restricted.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

josephbt at [unixtime wrote:1160377539[/unixtime]]I hate Paladins.
And not because of their code of conduct. I like RPing codes of conduct. It is because of that damned horse. I despise it. A druid has that animal companion stuff whenever he wants, but a Paladin must summon his horsey. Ever tried fightin against a wizzard that dispels your horsey? Yeah, it's a laugh.
A druid gets a dire bear that whoops ass and when it dies, a druid sits around for a day and gets a new one. A paladin must mourn for a month. Because of a horse. Are paladins eight year old children? "Boo, my pony died, boo."

Edit.

So, when is Tome of Valor due?
I think that the horsey cannot be dispelled, as calling effects are instantaneous:
SRD wrote:Calling

A calling spell transports a creature from another plane to the plane you are on. The spell grants the creature the one-time ability to return to its plane of origin, although the spell may limit the circumstances under which this is possible. Creatures who are called actually die when they are killed; they do not disappear and reform, as do those brought by a summoning spell (see below). The duration of a calling spell is instantaneous, which means that the called creature can’t be dispelled.
edit: since the horsey is extraplanar, however, dismissing effects would still produce the same effect, I think. (weirdly enough, Google spellchecker does not balk at 'horsey' ...)
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I hate Paladins because they can't multiclass. What's with that? you're locked into a class that gets worse and worse?

And your damn horse is so lame. Either give it to me at level 1 or not at all.

-Crissa
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Are K and Frank going to do anything about finding particular stuff out of thei books (or other books)?

Finding which book has which race or which set of feats is tough. Not even the SRD has a good search engine.

-Crissa
Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

josephbt at [unixtime wrote:1160377539[/unixtime]]I hate Paladins.

It gets even worse. The spellthief can *steal* your summon horse ability. I mean, what the fuck is that?