Fixing Metamagic

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Seerow wrote:And there's the disconnect. If you legitimately think that spellcasters in D&D are not already overpowered, there's literally nothing to discuss here.

What this system does is take a class that already has a shitton of utility, and adds more utility and flexibility to that, for free. This is not something the game needs at all, and I can't believe this is a point I you even seem to think I need to bother elaborating on.
Question: Are you basing this on WotC 3e, or Tome?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

It's material for Tome game. Get back when you know what that actually is.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

In either 3e or Tome, Wizards are still the baddest characters on the block, others just don't suck quite so badly. There is still no justification for going back and powering wizards up further.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

That's completely wrong. Fighters are ahead of wizards in Tome, and I think a few of the other martial classes can make them look small in the pants as well.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I actually think Barbarians are far more powerful than Fighters (or pretty much anything else, really) in Tome, since they do fucktons of damage and are basically immune to everything by 9th level or so.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well class balance arguments aside, the point is that many core metamagic feats are just not worth taking and/or using higher level spells to cast metamagicked spells is often not worth doing. And if casters can pick caster-friendly Tome [Combat] feats that like Blind-Fighting, Zen Archery, or caster-friendly Tome [Skill] feats like Magical Aptitude or Combat Casting, then they are never going to pick things like core Maximize Spell or Silent Spell - so those feats need to either be removed from the game for the sake of simplicity or made into legitimate options for casters to take.

Now giving casters more legitimate options could very well be a powerup - but it doesn't have to be. The number of feats any individual character can take is still pretty limited, and if all available feats are more-or-less equal and the stacking synergies between feats are kept within a reasonable range, then bringing subpar feats up to par only opens up additional playable options for each individual haracter of a given class, without making such characters overall more powerful.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."