What all can summoners summon?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DarkMastero
NPC

What all can summoners summon?

Post by DarkMastero »

Does anyone know a place where I can find the states for all the stuff a summoner can summon (hopefully including the conjuration spells the summoner gains from the Cleric, Druid, and Wizard class lists with Advanced Learning).

It's quite a hassle to have to look these up all the time (and sometimes apply templates) so having a separate list with them would be a great help.
Leress
Prince

Re: What all can summoners summon?

Post by Leress »

Well you can start here
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm
and
look up the summoning spells and write (copy/paste) the list down.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
DarkMastero
NPC

Post by DarkMastero »

Not all of them are on that site, like Summon Frost Beast I and Summon Undead I and all.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Summon Frost Beast is in Frostburn, Summon Undead(ridiculous version) is in Libris Mortis, Summon Undead(playable version) is in Spell Compendium I think. If you just want one big list of all the creatures that correspond to which spell you're going to have to throw one together for yourself in a Word document or something. Putting the non-open game content on the internet is illegal and so is linking to it.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

That's Conjure Ice Beast (I-IX) and they're (creation), not (summoning) :(

http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/ has a reasonable spell-search link (and other things)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Except the Summoner casts them as "Summon Ice Beast: Conjuration (Summoning)" instead. Because they can.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Got a link to the (presumably PrC) ability that lets them do that?
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

We ended up playing it without Summon Frost Beast and using the Spell Compendium for Summon Undead. Note that most (all?) of these monsters are the the SRD. Encourage notecards for each level. Select the 2-3 standard summons that you will use and use those on notecards. Use the books/laptop for the rest. For instance the Wolf is arguably better than any other 1st level summon (Scent, Trip, decent hps), and is considered the standard summon to use. Other summons are used depending on need (flying, digging, DR-bypassing, SLAs). Do not forget Unicorn (Summon Natures Ally 4?). If may not pack a punch, but it gives free healing.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Fwib at [unixtime wrote:1195085873[/unixtime]]Got a link to the (presumably PrC) ability that lets them do that?

http://bb.bbboy.net/thegamingden-viewth ... postnum=69
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Fuzzy_logic
Journeyman

Post by Fuzzy_logic »

Once you have 4th level spells, you can do all kinds of tricks.

Mephits suck in battle, but have spell-like abilities useful in noncombat situations.

against invisible enemies, summon dre bats or salt mephits (who cast glitterdust). Dretch (SM3) can throw down a stinking cloud. A hippogriff can get you over a chasm.

Also, once you can summon lantern archons, you can make all the free continual flmes you want. They also cast "aid" and can be used as a poor man's combat healer.

There's a lot more, but that's some starting thoughts.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Hippogriffs are actually pretty ballin' in combat for the level you get them with SNA.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Once you get Greenbound Summoning you can summon monsters that are individually better than a full bab class of your level :D
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Hippogriffs own everything at the level you get them. They are comparable to the Dire Bat, but slightly better. 200 foot charge, fly, scent, spot, darkvision, low-light vision, Dodge, Wingover, and a 3 attacks on a full attack. Needless to say the summoner in my campaign uses this for the all-day summon.

(The Dire bat gets one attack, and 4 more armor if you count dodge for the 'griff, but also gets blindsense).
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

MrWaeseL at [unixtime wrote:1195122455[/unixtime]]Once you get Greenbound Summoning you can summon monsters that are individually better than a full bab class of your level :D

For those who haven't seen it before, the Greenbound template:
Type becomes plant (so no crits, mind affecting, or polymorphing..)
NA improves by 6
Gains a slam attack
(Sp) at will - entangle, pass without trace, speak with plants. 1/day - wall of thorns
DR 10/magic and slashing
Fast healing 3
+4 grapple bonus
Resistance to electricity and cold 10
Tremorsense 60'
Str +6, Dex +2, Con +4, Cha+4
+16 to hide and move silently in forested areas
(CR +2, LA+8)

I like how it manages to be strictly better than Augment Summoning (+6 Str +4 Con), as an afterthought.

Apparently, the feat was supposed to be a +2 spell level adjustment metamagic, but that got lost somehow. Instead, it's actually better than Natural Spell, which is nonsensical.

Although it does lose some effectiveness at high levels, when Animal Growth and Rashemi Elemental Summoning pull ahead.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Greenbound Summoning is actually the only feat I've ever had to ban.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Holy shit, that's crazy.
DarkMastero
NPC

Post by DarkMastero »

Greenbound summoming? Is that in the Players Handbook or another book?
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

DarkMastero at [unixtime wrote:1195505258[/unixtime]]Greenbound summoming? Is that in the Players Handbook or another book?
Lost Empires of Faerûn
DarkMastero
NPC

Post by DarkMastero »

Okay. I've started making a document of all of my spells and summons, but I'm having a hard time find Protection From Alignment. Can anyone tell me what book that is in?

Also, the summoner gains a Cleric, Druid, or Wizard of the Conjuration school. What all does this include?
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

DarkMastero at [unixtime wrote:1196708519[/unixtime]]Okay. I've started making a document of all of my spells and summons, but I'm having a hard time find Protection From Alignment. Can anyone tell me what book that is in?

Also, the summoner gains a Cleric, Druid, or Wizard of the Conjuration school. What all does this include?
Four related spells: Protection from Evil/Good/Law/Chaos
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Alignement=Evil/Good/Law/Chaos when refering to protection from, magic circle against, or detect.
DarkMastero
NPC

Post by DarkMastero »

So the summoner gains all four of them?
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Yes.
DarkMastero
NPC