Tome of Fiends

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Bigode
Duke

Re: Tome of Fiends Draft Copy

Post by Bigode »

Sigma wrote:Bigode: Yes but Color Spray and Sleep both have very specific effects which tend to be resisted/immunized easily, as well as when the save is made the targets pick their noses and pretty much go about normal business as if nothing happened.
Also, Fireball destroys objects. Those two don't.
I'm an Evocation fan cuz I see the utility of being able to damage just about anything; there's much reliability in damage with save-for-half and I prefer that any day over all or nothing (not a gambling kinda person) but it's true that Evocation needs to be better than it is now!
Resisted/immunized easily before level 5 (which is when a wizard gets fireball, and thus the argument stops mattering)? Fireball deals 1d6/2 (it's fire damage) to objects - OMG. Also, when was the last time you needed to damage 2 objects at the same time during a combat? If just 1, you'd be much better off using a damn honest-to-goodness ranged weapon.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

1d6/2-hardness actually. Zero basically.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1186732004[/unixtime]]
Btw, Keith being at Law school explains why he hasn't shown up here at all lately. Um, this may sound ignorant but what is he doing at law school in the middle of summer?

Law Schools often start in mid-August. I've been helping out with orientation at mine all week, and we start Monday.

Regarding the foot shooting incident, K was in a bad neighborhood, got accosted by a couple of guys who had a gun, and was shot in the foot.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1186773638[/unixtime]]
shirak at [unixtime wrote:1186732004[/unixtime]]
Btw, Keith being at Law school explains why he hasn't shown up here at all lately. Um, this may sound ignorant but what is he doing at law school in the middle of summer?

Law Schools often start in mid-August. I've been helping out with orientation at mine all week, and we start Monday.

Regarding the foot shooting incident, K was in a bad neighborhood, got accosted by a couple of guys who had a gun, and was shot in the foot.

so what happened to the other two guys? Is K secretly a true fiend that immolated the poor dumb bastards (for their country)?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1186774591[/unixtime]]

so what happened to the other two guys? Is K secretly a true fiend that immolated the poor dumb bastards (for their country)?

I believe they shot his foot and ran (and got) away.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1186775479[/unixtime]]
Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1186774591[/unixtime]]

I believe they shot his foot and ran (and got) away.

Damn. Reality is always more disappointing, huh.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

really though..
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Neeek at [unixtime wrote:1186773638[/unixtime]]Law Schools often start in mid-August. I've been helping out with orientation at mine all week, and we start Monday.

Ah, thanks. Schools around here don't open until September.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1186753844[/unixtime]]
Sigma wrote:Bigode: Yes but Color Spray and Sleep both have very specific effects which tend to be resisted/immunized easily, as well as when the save is made the targets pick their noses and pretty much go about normal business as if nothing happened.
Also, Fireball destroys objects. Those two don't.
I'm an Evocation fan cuz I see the utility of being able to damage just about anything; there's much reliability in damage with save-for-half and I prefer that any day over all or nothing (not a gambling kinda person) but it's true that Evocation needs to be better than it is now!
Resisted/immunized easily before level 5 (which is when a wizard gets fireball, and thus the argument stops mattering)? Fireball deals 1d6/2 (it's fire damage) to objects - OMG. Also, when was the last time you needed to damage 2 objects at the same time during a combat? If just 1, you'd be much better off using a damn honest-to-goodness ranged weapon.

Ah... half off against objects? Don't remember that. I'll have to read up on the topic more.
I know Sonic did something different but it's been a while since a game I've been in even had anyone use something other than melee, ranged, unarmed, or some sorta monster body part. My friends n I have been eliminating game-breaking spells from campaigns like Greater Teleport and Limited Wish, plus slowing down level progression around 5 to 10, which has worked well since most of us prefer warriors anyway (except me, I like Sorcerers, but even these are just video-game style blasters) as well as moderate-power campaigns.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.h ... [br]Energy Attacks

Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.

For the record, I am going to be trying to play a Warlock The Doesn't Suck at next available character creation (or a shadowcraft mage if that doesn't go over). I was unimpressed with a 1d6 fireball at level one. Even if I could get it at will (I will be trying to keep the power level of this character down by taking the more flavorful evil-transformation feats like "get wings!"), I would be unimpressed. Compare it against the rogue. Rogues get 2d6+strength against 1 target (usually) at level 1. As a rogue, would you trade this for d6 to all targets? At a wizard, would you trade a Color Spray for it? If I don't consider it worth another action, it isn't that good.

Also, most DMs include the unfortunate side effects of fireball. Although a 1d6 fireball will win the "kill the rats in the basement" encounter, they will be rather peeved if anything catches fire.

Side-note, I plan on taking (and likely maxing by lv15 if we make it) the Stone and Dominion Sphere. I like the idea of Wall of Stone at will to build a fortress, which can be protected/battlefield controlled from Dominion while using permanent Teleportation Circle to set up trade routes, escape routes, and all other forms of goodies. I find the Stone and Dominion Sphere to be solid up to level 15 and balanced at cursory glance, and will report back after playtesting (which may be a while).

Other adjustments that will likely be made - no permanent Leadership fiend (not play style...)

Also, I don't know where y'all go to school, but college is year-round here in Orlando. You get to sign a 1-year lease on an apt. If you aren't going to school or working close to full time, you are flushing that money and time down the toilet. Also, working full time and taking 1 (or even 2) classes is not that difficult (of course hobbies like DnD get a bit less attention).
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

wrote:Rogues get 2d6+strength against 1 target (usually) at level 1.

Actually, once they have a bit of cash, they get 2d6 + 1d6, plus 1 point of splash damage, from throwing flasks of Alchemist's Fire (or 2d6 + 1 point splash from Acid Flasks, if they need to conserve cash or beat Fire Resistance).
K
King

Post by K »

Neeek wrote:I believe they shot his foot and ran (and got) away.

But they didn't get my money!

They could have had it at that point, because you only have to shoot me once to make your point.

Seriously though, it really sucked.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, at least your okay and none the poorer for the incident.

any idea when we can get our next tome fix?

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

K at [unixtime wrote:1186962178[/unixtime]]
Neeek wrote:I believe they shot his foot and ran (and got) away.

But they didn't get my money!

They could have had it at that point, because you only have to shoot me once to make your point.

Seriously though, it really sucked.

Money isn't the root of all evil, being a dick for no reason is. For example, the gunner.
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

Prak_Anima at [unixtime wrote:1186976076[/unixtime]]none the poorer for the incident.

Well, if you don't count the months he was laid up recovering from the GSW and unable to walk...
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Well welcome back K! You have been sorely missed by many. And Prak needs his Tome fix before he starts shooting people too.
I might follow suit if I don't see anything on Fey from you guys, but Frank's recent thread on unfinished stuff will hold me for a while :wink:
Ecureuil_Diabolique
NPC

Post by Ecureuil_Diabolique »

Oh wow, I had no idea that K was shot in the foot. I suppose it's a hell of a lot better than getting shot somewhere else though. That sucks. Sort of reminds me when my friend was walking down the bike path and just got stabbed by some random guy. The cops made up a story about it being a drug deal gone wrong. He was too fvcked up on vicodin to really protest though.

Oh, and does this mean that another Tome might come out? Or does it just mean you'll stop by every now and then in between all your business of law school?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

edited

I was off topic.. like wayyy off..
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I have decided what Law and Chaos shall mean in my games, seeing as this Tome mentions how ambiguous and pointless they are: Pro-Skub and Anti-Skub.

Te Blood War started more or less over this:
http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=0PBF10060BC-Skub.jpg#11
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

GTFO Skubfag!
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

http://www.google.com/search?q=skubfag& ... r]"Skubfag" ain't in Google. Therefore it doesn't exist. :razz:

But there is an Elemental Plane of Skub now? I don't know D&D at all any more...
DarkMastero
NPC

Re: Summoner

Post by DarkMastero »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1169369455[/unixtime]]
  1. Summon works like the "summon" ability found in the monster manual: one or more creatures has a percentage chance of appearing for one hour as a summoned monster. This creature can use its abilities normally (though as a summoned monster any durations of its effects will end when it vanishes or is destroyed); save that it cannot use its "summon" ability if it has one.
    -Username17

I just looked it up in the monster manual and it doesn't mention any limits on how many times it can be used. So is it safe to assume that the summoner could try to use it over and over again? Also, it says that the summoned monster stays for 1 hour.

It also notes that monsters hesitate to use this ability because it "leaves them beholden to the summoned monster". But is it safe to say by your optional rules that it doesn't apply because it is not a calling spell?

Does Rapid Summoning apply to it?

Lastly, when it says it can summon a monster as the same level as the summoner is it referring to the monster's challenge rating as its level?
Username17
Serious Badass

Re: Summoner

Post by Username17 »

I just looked it up in the monster manual and it doesn't mention any limits on how many times it can be used. So is it safe to assume that the summoner could try to use it over and over again?

The Summon ability is usable once per day.

Also, it says that the summoned monster stays for 1 hour.

Yes. And that they can't use their own summon ability if they have it while they are summoned.

Does Rapid Summoning apply to it?

It's not actually a conjuration [summoning] spell, it's a specific ability which for no fault of mine happens to be called "summon".

Lastly, when it says it can summon a monster as the same level as the summoner is it referring to the monster's challenge rating as its level?

Yes.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I've been wondering on the fiend classes: that the fiendish brute could represent almost all brute monsters with the right feats (but I wonder whether it's balanced even at level 10, with its low BAB), and that I don't much know why the conduit was supposed to be monster-only in the first place. So, would it be workable to extend both to 20 levels, keeping their progressions (though I'd be tempted to have the brute gain "BAB = character level" or something like it at level 11)?
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
K
King

Post by K »

Bigode wrote:I've been wondering on the fiend classes: that the fiendish brute could represent almost all brute monsters with the right feats (but I wonder whether it's balanced even at level 10, with its low BAB), and that I don't much know why the conduit was supposed to be monster-only in the first place. So, would it be workable to extend both to 20 levels, keeping their progressions (though I'd be tempted to have the brute gain "BAB = character level" or something like it at level 11)?
The Fiendish Brute is assumed to take feats that give natural weapons and be boosting Str pretty consistently. This means he can get a lot of attacks with flat bonuses, so BAB is unnecessary.

From a design standpoint, we probably should have not made it possible to NOT do this.

---------------------------

The Conduit is still extendable. He can take levels of Sorcerer and increase his Sorcerer spellcasting or PrC with a +spellcasting PrC. His Spheres are based on character level, so those increase as well regardless of how he levels.

Its only a flavor consideration that they should be demons. You'll note that we have feats, a class, and a +0 LA Tiefling for people who want to be demons.
Last edited by K on Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.