Torn Armor staffing

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

Torn Armor staffing

Post by fectin »

Kickstarter has a miniatures-based war/board game going now. Not really a surprise, though I do covet that war elephant.

The actually noteworthy part is that if you scroll down through the staff, there's a creative person, a couple artists, a couple sculptors, and at the very end, Matthew Meagley, whose job title is "Probabilities".

I have no idea whether Matthew is actually a genius or a hack, but just the fact that this game included someone specifically for mathhammering Makes me say: "about fuckin' time."

Why doesn't everyone do this? Why isn't it a thing? Is it because of rampant stupidity? Rampant ego? Good intentions, crippled by tragic lack of systems engineering?

Anyway, the thing is up at: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... torn-armor

No idea if the game is worthwhile, but that elephant continues to entice.
Last edited by fectin on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

Actually, I'm diggin' the anthro-rhino behemoth.
Who am I kidding -- the whole thing looks pretty bad-ass. And at the price-per-piece for the pledge levels, it's actually totally worth it just for the figures.

(pssst: you need to remove the "." from the link -- otherwise, it's broken)
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

New World of Darkness had a guy whose job it was to tell them the probabilities of things. It didn't help.
New World of Darkness Credits wrote:Special thanks to Torben Mogensen for providing his five dots of expertise in probability mathematics.
-Username17
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Well, NWoD did remove the variable target numbers- probably because they have a guy who focuses on the probabilities who can tell them "Guys, even I don't understand how the probabilities work and I have a PhD in this shit. Knock it off."
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Whenever I see a kickstarter project I always look at the shipping costs first.
This one has an option for 400 dollar, with free shipping within the U.S. and 100 dollar shipping outside the U.S.
I feel like I'm being trolled for not living in the U.S. I understand that shipping intercontinental is going to be more expensive, but 100 dollars vs 0?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

You do get a crapton of stuff at the $400 level. I tipped over into backing it for the clockwork dragon. The figures are nice enough, but I'd only use about half of them. That's still worthwhile, but much more borderline. The behemoth is $45 more though, and I'm having trouble talking myself into paying that much for a single figure.

WoD (whether N or O) probabilities are actually pretty straightforward. It's straight up binomial distributions. I can whip up an excel sheet to show outcomes for that in ~15 minutes.(Not right now, because I'm off to games. If anyone's curious, I'll post it this evening though.)
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

New WoD did some very bizarre and retarded things with the way they handed out 9-again, 8-again, and rote action qualities. In particular, they don't seem to have understood, when handing out weapon damage, that 9-again becomes more valuable than an extra die when your dice pool exceeds 8.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

My mistake, maybe. I assumed that you were just talking about the variable TN. Was there another part that I missed?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

If I get money before the Kickstarter is done, I may have to get those Hussars.

Now I just have to hope that, you know, I get unemployment in the next two and a half weeks...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I did get unemployment, put down $25 so I could get a trio of Hussars (My family is polish on my father's side, hussars were some awesome, awesome mounted light cavalry, so it's a big deal to me). Planning on another $15 for three more hussars when I get my next check.

In updates today, Torn Armour announced that they're doing free shipping world wide. Yes, seriously. Even in fucking Uganda, or, more importantly, perhaps, Australia.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.