Help making a Sub Tome.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

the_unthinkable
1st Level

Help making a Sub Tome.

Post by the_unthinkable »

Ok this may seem kinda dumb to some of you, but I wanted to make a sub-tome called "The Tome of Reapers". Its going to be something that tells what a Reaper is, which to me is some sort of sheperd, gardian, or controller of life and death. It would also have ways of becoming a Reaper and such. What I wanted is any "Reaper" idea that comes to anybodies minds. I already want to put the Boneblade Reaper in there, giving credit to K or to who ever created it.
I'm really hoping for your guys' help so if you do, thank you in advance.:smile: :smile: :smile:

On a new note, I have an incomplete version of it up now.

Tome of Reapers

I wrote this Tome here because the only Reaper Wizards has ever printed was the Entropic Reaper from Libris Mortis. I think that’s its pretty good but felt that Reapers needed more than one creature to make it a monster that stands out from the rest.
This is a sub tome to the Tome of Necromancy which was written by Frank Trollman and Keith. Mind you this tome wasn’t written by them so it might not meet your expectations or be what your looking for and please don’t complain as this is my first time working on something like this. I’ll do my best to make this as good as theirs, use formatting similar to theirs, and you get the idea.
Now to what I’m here for, in this, I’ll be going over what a Reaper is, what a Reaper can do, and some stuff for Reapers. I’ll also go into some detail what can happen to the souls of living beings when they die. I’ll put up other stuff when I get the chance.

What is a Reaper?

Throughout history, Reapers have been the personification of death, which some have been depicted as skeletal figures carrying large scythes, and wearing midnight black gowns, robes or cloaks with hoods, or sometimes, white burial shrouds. Some are guardians of the dead and even sometimes the living, shepherds of the dead, wayfarers into the afterlife, and sometimes the occasional evil entity who uses its power over life and death to slay the living for reasons unknown. Some Reapers represent the boundary between life and death, giving birth to a new type/subtype that will be noted later, while others are entirely undead and some are powerful outsiders.
As you can see there can be a variety of Reapers. Here is a set of rulings for the various kinds of them you can play as.

Reaper Option 1a:
Guardians of Life and Death

Reaper Option 2a: Shepherds of the Dead

Reaper Option 3a:
Wayfarers into the Afterlife

Reaper Option 4a:
Evil Entity slaying the living at its will

Reaper Option 1b: The Reaper Subtype

Reaper Option 2b: Undead Reapers

Reaper Option 3b: Living Reapers
Leress
Prince

Re: Help making a Sub Tome.

Post by Leress »

Well, let's first see what you have already done for your Tome...don't want to tread over already made paths.

Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Can you eat this sub though?
Is it crunchy?

And will the Reaper teleport and turn ethereal?
I'd play one if I could get a skeletal humanoid in there. No Jamaican accent, though.

If this does develop into a whole SubTome, it should include new SoDs too. You know, reaping spells.

And more info on afterlife options.

Just my 2 pesos, señor.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Jamaican accent? I thought Death always spoke in capitals.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

the_unthinkable
1st Level

What I ment by 'Reapers' is the Reapers one might find on the tv show "Supernatural", Bleach, Lord of the Rings(Ring Wraiths just look like Reapers to me), or anything you really want but I would like some seriousness involved in this.
I sadly havn't come up with anything for the tome yet, but I'm getting to work as soon as I get home.
Give any write-ups of any Reaper ideas you have or seen but if it isn't your idea, give credit to the person that came up with it and the source you got it off of.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Oh... so, Reapers = Samurai with bigass katanas. Funny too, that in Bleach everyone either goes to the Japanese afterworld or becomes a Hollow (at least from the few episodes I've seen).
joke...

But really, you mean like the Ingmar Bergman reaper? Or how about th e Bill and Ted reaper?

"Reaping burns a lot of calories."

the_unthinkable
1st Level

Reapers, from my point of view, are sheperds of life and death. Look here for some ideas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_%28p ... r]Although it's not entirely what I'm looking for, it's a very good start.

sigma999 wrote:If this does develop into a whole SubTome, it should include new SoDs too. You know, reaping spells.

And more info on afterlife options.

SoDs? I do not know what those are? I assume that it is "Spells of Darkness" but I have no clue.
You'll need to also give me some examples of afterlife options could be.
MagnaSecuris
1st Level

Post by MagnaSecuris »

Have you read the tomes stickied at the top of the page?
the_unthinkable
1st Level

I have read the Tomes. Is there something I missed in there?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

SoDs are Save or Die, a category of spells that well save or die. Some don't outright kill you but, put you in position of inaction these are known as Save or Suck.

With the afterlife options Sigma seems to be asking...what the bloody hell happens to the soul of the person I just stabified with a scythe or made into dust with a finger snap?
Can I turn them into Souls to use as currency?
As fuel your my power's engines?
Peons to do my bidding?
People I am able to place like miniatures on the board of life to increase my own political or economical gains?

Around here we think big picture and sweat the small stuff.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

He's new here, jst recently asked on Wizards before being redirected here.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1191567360[/unixtime]]He's new here, jst recently asked on Wizards before being redirected here.

I know, I redirected him.
]
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Doh your pic differences here and there threw me off.
the_unthinkable
1st Level

I'm on work with it right now. I'll get back to you guys when I get through the jist of it so then if you guys have any ideas, you could put them up.
the_unthinkable
1st Level

I know it has been a while, mainly because I forgot about this, but I have a starter for this Tome. The only problem is I don't know how to upload files on here. Any help will be great.
If you need to, e-mail me at devil_may_cry_5_spardas_revival@hotmail.com
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Have you heard of 'cut and paste'?

Because that's the only way to 'upload' some prior art here.

-Crissa
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

If it's a written document, you just cut and paste it into the input box and hit "Reply".
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

This is a theme that is very near and dear to my own heart, and so I look with great anticipation upon the posting of any material you upload.

That being said, what we need right now is a "Reaper Base Class."

Granted, it's kind of arbitrary, making a completely new class just for flavor reasons, but I'm sick of all of this ganked together Reaper shit, who's a fucking Monk/Wizard/Random Prestige Class, or Fighter/Blackguard/Underpowered Weakling 7.

So.

What does a Reaper do? The problem here is that in general, Death is... utterly impartial and is simply the face of a natural force. Having a PC be a "Reaper" is either going to be A) Impossible, because Death cannot die (how many times have you bee resurrected?) and doesn't really have human motivations anyway, so why on Earth would he go adventuring? Or, B) The player creates a "Death fanwanker(boy) who runs around trying to be just like Death.

What a dilemma.

What you are looking for is someone more like The Monks of the Long Death, who are people obsessed with death and like killing people.

What we need is a character archetype: Wears black, likes death, kills people hard, takes souls. Scythe, spellcasting optional.

Design is next: I will post a basic skeleton (so to speak..) of such a build in a couple of days, if I can...

<something clever>
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

There is a third option: Dead Like Me D20.

But that wouldn't be a normal D&D setting.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

One thing you should totally do is some ability that involves ripping out someone's skeleton from their body while they're still alive. Basically, Finger of Death+Animate Dead. Or better, damage spell that does this if they die from the damage, because save or dies suck.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
the_unthinkable
1st Level

Duh, why didn't I paste it before.:disgusted:
Mind you, this is just a sample of what's to come.

Tome of Reapers

I wrote this Tome here because the only Reaper Wizards has ever printed was the Entropic Reaper from Libris Mortis. I think that’s its pretty good but felt that Reapers needed more than one creature to make it a monster that stands out from the rest.
This is a sub tome to the Tome of Necromancy which was written by Frank Trollman and Keith. Mind you this tome wasn’t written by them so it might not meet your expectations or be what your looking for and please don’t complain as this is my first time working on something like this. I’ll do my best to make this as good as theirs, use formatting similar to theirs, and you get the idea.
Now to what I’m here for, in this, I’ll be going over what a Reaper is, what a Reaper can do, and some stuff for Reapers. I’ll also go into some detail what can happen to the souls of living beings when they die. I’ll put up other stuff when I get the chance.

What is a Reaper?

Throughout history, Reapers have been the personification of death, which some have been depicted as skeletal figures carrying large scythes, and wearing midnight black gowns, robes or cloaks with hoods, or sometimes, white burial shrouds. Some are guardians of the dead and even sometimes the living, shepherds of the dead, wayfarers into the afterlife, and sometimes the occasional evil entity who uses its power over life and death to slay the living for reasons unknown. Some Reapers represent the boundary between life and death, giving birth to a new type/subtype that will be noted later, while others are entirely undead and some are powerful outsiders.
As you can see there can be a variety of Reapers. Here is a set of rulings for the various kinds of them you can play as.

Reaper Option 1a:
Guardians of Life and Death

Reaper Option 2a: Shepherds of the Dead

Reaper Option 3a:
Wayfarers into the Afterlife

Reaper Option 4a:
Evil Entity slaying the living at its will

Reaper Option 1b: The Reaper Subtype

Reaper Option 2b: Undead Reapers

Reaper Option 3b: Living Reapers

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Nice so far.
Now the real challenge comes: do you know the game well enough to design effective new material, and have you collected and comprehended the mythology of your topic?