New Edition of Rules

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Fwib
Knight-Baron

Re: New Edition of Rules

Post by Fwib »

What are the hp and hardness of a corpse?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

As by Animate Objects, I suppose. :P
Or maybe a Zombie. heh
But as a soft object, how does Hardness 5 (as by wood/bone) and 10 + 5 per level HP seem?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/anim ... br]However, the body has no attacks. You're essentially blinded with blood and dazed with impending death, with only enough energy left to stumble.
Perhaps, limited to just 1 standard action each round as a Zombie might, rather than +10 land speed for having 2 legs (that's just silly)

You'd almost have to make a new category for 'Mortally Wounded Character'...

With time, a character should be allowed to recover status as a 'creature', perhaps after a minute or 10 minutes and some sort of check? Damage conversion from lethal to nonlethal (which heals at a rate of 1 per level each hour) could work.
I hated how 3.5e check to stop bleeding is based on just CON; saves against death should improve with level.
So it would be either a level + CON something or just a Fortitude save to 'recover'.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Okay, how about this: You have an "armor" slot, in which you can put equipment that gives bonuses. WHat it looks like is just flavor.

So you might typically have

Magic Plate (+2 DR)

and

Wizard Robes (+2 to hit with spells)

but you can also have

Elven Plate (+2 to hit with spells)

or Robe of the iron fist (+2 DR)

That way, a character's shtick just depends on them getting an item with the right buff, but it can look like whatever they want it to.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I kind of like the idea of just giving people 3-5 slots to put some kind of magic, and have "Magic Bonus" be something that gives you +2 on some kinds of stuff. Overlapping magic bonuses don't stack.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Chrono Trigger had it down right.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

There is only one mechanical reason to have armor: so that characters can *change* armor. It should be possible to own full plate, a mithral shirt, spidersilk armor, and bone armor and have each of these be an appropriate thing to wear in some circumtances.

Therefore, armor probably needs to be its own slot distinct from other equipment. Unless you're comfortable with someone wearing full plate and spidersilk at the same time.

You *could* do piecemeal armor taking up item slots -- the paladin has a breastplate of strength, a gorget of toughness, and greaves of protection, while the monk has robes of speed, gloves of strength, and a belt of insight.

If you don't want armor specifically to have its own mechanic though, it's probably better off just as flavor text.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I have been reading some chinese folk tales, and I've been noticing that Taoist Priests are quite the tricksters and illusionists, which brings me to my point. How are we going to handle illusions?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!