Races of War

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sun Plate Armour says it's made of hope, could it be considered a metal armour, or are you actually walking around in hardened pink taffy?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

Prak_Anima wrote:Sun Plate Armour says it's made of hope, could it be considered a metal armour, or are you actually walking around in hardened pink taffy?
:)
"I hit your Pink Taffy armor with my (grey, oozey) Sword of Disappoint!"
It's the sort of armor all freshmen have before life smacks them down.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Blasted wrote:(grey, oozey) Sword of Disappoint!"
As it sweeps through the air, there is the sound of Chris DeBurg's "Lady in Red"?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

From the way the Trip and Disarm maneuvers are written, do you not provoke an AoO from the act of using them unless you fail in the attempt AND don't have the Edge?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

yes. If they trip, you shouldn't be provoking an AoO. If you have the Edge, then you're badass enough to not provoke an AoO.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The grammar on that actually makes it difficult to discern what you said.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

You trip them successfully: They're been tripped and SHOULDN'T get an AoO on your.

You fail at tripping them: They're totally fine and you're sitting there bent over with your weapon at their feet. They totally get an AoO on you.

EXCEPTION: "The Edge" is synonymous with "combat badassery". If you get caught with your pants down like this, you can just do a barrel roll and get out of the way.

tl;dr... yes. AoO's are only incurred if you fail the trip AND you don't have The Edge.
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Regarding Juggernaut:

The benefit says:
You may be considered one size category larger for the purposes of any size dependant roll you make (such as a Bull Rush, Overrun, or Lift action).
Is that just d20 rolls, or does that count as weapon damage rolls as well?
Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

Weapon damage doesn't get determined by your size, it gets determined by the weapon's size. Which I think Tome did away with anyway.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Archmage wrote:Weapon damage doesn't get determined by your size, it gets determined by the weapon's size. Which I think Tome did away with anyway.
Why would you think that?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Archmage
Knight-Baron

Post by Archmage »

I should've been more specific:
Races of War wrote:The 3rd edition rules were not good, and the 3.5 changes to them made them worse in every single way. So here's the big deal: Weapons don't have special size rules anymore. In 3rd edition a Shortsword was a small weapon, and in 3.5 it's supposed to be a Medium Light Weapon, but that's all stupid. The fact is, a Shortsword is a Tiny Object, and that's all we need to know.
Weapons still have sizes, but there's no such thing as a "small greatsword" anymore by Tome rules. Nor can a medium-sized creature wield an oversized "large greatsword" that does 3d6 damage and accept the -2 penalty for wielding a weapon one size category too large instead of the "medium greatsword" that deals 2d6 damage.
P.C. Hodgell wrote:That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
shadzar wrote:i think the apostrophe is an outdated idea such as is hyphenation.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I could get all convoluted on how unless you're a Jester or something, the weapon you wield is based on your size too, but it looks like that's not really the intention of the feat.

I was really just looking for clarification. Thanks.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

So... is that to say there are no "Buster Swords" in the tome-i-verse
or that a "buster sword" is just a type of greatsword like Claymore, or whatever. . .
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Midnight_v wrote:So... is that to say there are no "Buster Swords" in the tome-i-verse
or that a "buster sword" is just a type of greatsword like Claymore, or whatever. . .
Buster Swords are a specific item, which is a large object. They can normally be used in two hands by ogres, and can only be used at all by medium sized characters if they have a special ability that allows them to do that.

The point is that you shouldn't try to rationalize a Buster Sword as being a "Cloud Giant's Longsword" or something retarded. It's just a damn Buster Sword, and you should give it some stats. Trying to assign larger and smaller "versions" of weaponry gets us all kinds of retarded shit like wielding Storm Giant Daggers and Longbows because of stupid size adjustment loopholes.

-Username17
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

I see. Makes sense that way actually. Make a exotic weapon, that you can gain proficiency with via exploits, or ... give buster sword use as some kind of weapon handed out by a class ability. Seriously, most of the time its not even a deal - to hit for measly damage like with monkey grip was always a bad deal, but the idea of those swords is so popularized via FF, Berserk, Soul Calibur, and others I just wanted to be sure it wasn't some "No buster clause" you're right of course.
A cloud giants longsword does sound stupid... but someone somewhere's gonna want that to be their characters niche, and I"m fine with that on a few levels, but yeah it ends in stupidity when you take a look at it. Thanks.
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Our Samurai uses a Buster Sword. Going with the "Exotic weapons are just one step better in something than regular weapons" philosophy they seem to have in the Core books we gave it Greataxe stats but with a x4 crit. multiplier.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Regarding Blitz:
You may go all out when attacking, adding your Base Attack Bonus to your damage, but provoking an Attack of Opportunity.
Does this provoke an AoO just from the person you're attacking, or from everyone who threatens you?

Does this provoke an AoO per attack you make, or once per round?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, leadership. Is there actually a default basis for leadership score, or do you only have what feats and backgrounds and such say you do? Is it still Level+Cha mod, then you add in or sub stats that feats say you can? So, a normal character, if they have a bonus to leadership from something, but not a leadership feat, do they have Level+Cha Mod+(bonus), or just (bonus)?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I should probably know this off the top of my head by now, but a quick search turned up nothing, so...

Is there a TOME equivalent of Spring Attack and/or Fly-By Attack?

If not, is it because it is dismissed as a shitty tactic or just an oversight or what?

Game On,
fbmf
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fbmf wrote:I should probably know this off the top of my head by now, but a quick search turned up nothing, so...

Is there a TOME equivalent of Spring Attack and/or Fly-By Attack?

If not, is it because it is dismissed as a shitty tactic or just an oversight or what?

Game On,
fbmf
You can full attack on a standard action with Blitz, and you can run in a circle attacking everyone with whirlwind. Whirlwind is the most direct replacement for Spring Attack, but because it's Tome, it is a non shitty version of the running and hitting.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I think Whirlwind covers that sort of tactic Fbmf.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Thanks.

Game On,
fbmf
Josh_Kablack
King

Maybe I missed an earlier take on this

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Elusive Target [Combat]
You are very hard to hit when you want to be.
Benefits: You gain a +2 Dodge bonus to AC.
Phalanx Fighter[Combat]
You fight well in a group.
Benefits: You may take attacks of opportunity even while flat footed. 
+1: Any Dodge bonus to AC you gain is also granted to any adjacent allies for as long as you benefit from the bonus and your ally remains adjacent.
srd wrote: Dodge Bonus
A dodge bonus improves Armor Class (and sometimes Reflex saves) resulting from physical skill at avoiding blows and other ill effects. Dodge bonuses are never granted by spells or magic items. Any situation or effect (except wearing armor) that negates a character's Dexterity bonus also negates any dodge bonuses the character may have. Dodge bonuses stack with all other bonuses to AC, even other dodge bonuses. Dodge bonuses apply against touch attacks.
So, uh a shield wall of properly trained 1st level humans gives each of them an AC boost equal to twice the number of troops in the line?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Josh, I think that's right, although in actual play I would exclude dodge bonuses granted by others from being passed on to others.

Rules lawyer-y change: Any Dodge bonus to AC you gain is also granted as an untyped bonus to any adjacent allies for as long as you benefit from the bonus and your ally remains adjacent.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack