Tome of Necromancy (Full)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Draco_Argentum
Duke

Re: Tome of Necromancy (Full)

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Ah. Yeah you should make it a little more explicit. In general if I see an ability with no restrictions I assume there are none, otherwise I'd use the reading of Extra Spell that sucks.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Where does find/how does one create an obsidian hive?

Game On,
fbmf
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

fbmf wrote:Where does find/how does one create an obsidian hive?

Good question. I deliberately left that vague because figuring out the cost of a hive made out of a gemstone type that averages 10 GP a piece is both time-consuming and boring.

You can totally make it out of the 4 gp pieces cut into LEGO(tm) pieces just as easily as you can make it out of 16 GP gemstones glued into piles, or even worthless obsidian dust papier mached into form.

Honesty, since volcanic glass (obsidian) can be found easily at volcanos for free, assume that anyone who can cast lesser planar binding and even knows the general direction of a volcano can get a yochol who can both teleport without error to find some, and the use their at will stone shape to put it into hive form.

I could recommend a GP cost and leave it at that, but it would just be dickery on my part (the quality of me being a dick).

Cheers.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Thanks.

Game On,
fbmf
Shokatsuryou
NPC

Post by Shokatsuryou »

Found some mild typos:

Vampire Paragon
Class Skills: The Swordwraith Paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).

Ghoul Paragon
Class Skills: The Swordwraith Paragon's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

emphasis mine.

Assuming the class skill lists are correct, I'm guess you just need to replace "Swordwraith" with "Vampire" or "Ghoul".

Also, some questions about the Widow Queen's abilities:

1) Does the Widow Queen's Blood Drain ability stack with that of a vampire?

2) Some abilities allow the Widow Queen to use spell effects while doing something else. What is the save DC for these effects?

For example:
Seductive Speech(Su): At 6th level, the Widow Queen may cast the spell demand at will as a spell-like ability on any person that has been a victim of her Blood Drain ability. She may also use her scrying ability on any victim of her Blood Drain ability. In this way, the Widow Queen can coordinate her minions and track escaped prey.

Snare the Will (Su): Every round that a 7th level Widow Queen drains a victim of Wisdom, that victim must make a Will save or suffer the effects of a Charm Monster effect that lasts as long as the Wisdom drain remains.

What would be the save DCs for demand, scrying, and charm monster? Is it {10 + spell level + ability modifier}, or {10 + 1/2 level + ability(Cha??) modififier}?
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Just thought I'ld mention that the entirety of the second post is repeated at the beginning of the third post.

Not that I really minded reading it twice.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Locked because it seems to be a favorite for Spammers.

I will reopen it on request.

[/TGFBS]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[TGFBS]
As promised, temporarily unlocked by request.
[/TGFBS]
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

On the Wizards boards, I noticed an expansion to the Boneblade Reaper, to be used with your Monk instead of the SRD Monk. Unfortunately, this is now inaccessible... for whatever reason, this was lost, along with the main Tome of Necromancy thread. Could you repost it here?
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Hmm? It's right here.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

As of post time, the thread was not accessible... it seems to be now, so never mind.

...Strange things going on with those servers...
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Anyways, looking over the class, it is indeed like I remembered... it's got the sneaky backdoor entrance requirement of Evasion that can be used to bypass the Monk requirement. Given your Combat Feats in Races of War, this means that the prerequisite can be met with Lightning Reflexes... and thus, that the class can be taken by single-class arcane spellcasters... an excellent advancement path, though perhaps not intended?
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

2 questions:

1: You implied that RoW would have a "champion of the people" class. What happened to it?

2: What is the deal with path of blood and feast of flesh? Since ghoul is a template now, you can animate characters with class levels and make them serve you? Since their CR isn't changed, they're each as good as your cohort? So taking a necromantic creation feat is like taking leadership, the most powerful feat ever printed, only CHA times as good?

Am I missing some restriction that would stop my jester from getting a ghoul cleric, ghoul wizard, ghoul knight, and ghoul monk to follow him around?
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

2: Yes, yes they are. Consider the Lord of the Damned, who gets one of those feats every odd level. Consider that you're not an idiot, and have a decent Cha. Congrats, you've got an army of cohorts. I had a character like this at one point in time. He was really powerful, and I didn't even get around to statting out most of my 'cohorts'... just 5 of the 16 I qualified for. He still kicked serious ass.

There are no restrictions, just heaps of cohorts. Enjoy.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

was that the shade in my hellspawn game you're talking about?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Yes, yes it was.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Cool.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

so if I'm making, say, a Drider Boneblade Reaper, does his climb speed increase at 4th level?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

All sources point to yes.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

thank you, that's good to know.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ok, I think I can understand the thematic reasoning behind restricting boneblades to light piercing or slashing weapons, but is there a mechanical reason? Are boneblade weapons so good that they have to be shitty ones?

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Usually crappy characters that are monks with wizard/sorcerer levels would enter the Boneblade master class.

Meaning that the class could give perhaps even 11 spell casting levels in 10 PrC levels (giving +2 caster levels in level 1) and it would still be balanaced. People don't like that, so it's 1 CL per PrC lvl.

Also "Boneblades used in melee combat ignore the damage reduction of any undead creature and can hit incorporeal creatures as if they were magic weapons with the ghost touch property."

So, it doesn't really matter what type of weapon they are.

If you're using a Boneblade, chances are that you've got some other method of increasing your damage and are using the Boneblade to bypass the DR of undead.

This also means that you can make say.... 40 arrow heads per lb. of Boneblade.

Which is pretty hawt. Since a Lich will never expect you to pack arrows that can actually hurt him.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Judging__Eagle at [unixtime wrote:1186055249[/unixtime]]This also means that you can make say.... 40 arrow heads per lb. of Boneblade.

Which is pretty hawt. Since a Lich will never expect you to pack arrows that can actually hurt him.

o.O... that is pretty hawt...

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The imagery of reshaping bone itself is sheer awesomeness itself, disregarding the equally crazy benefits.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
K
King

Post by K »

I could go on about how bone is a brittle material and really only works in certain shapes, but thats BS.

Basically, I wanted daggers to actually be decent weapons in DnD for anyone at all. Also, thematically its more fun if they they are cutting rather than bashing because of the whole blood drawing symbolism.