The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

[Tome of Tiamat] Interruption Mage

Post by Kaelik »

Interruption Mage
"You activated my Trap Card!"

Interruption Mages specialize in laying traps on the battlefield to confuse and trick opponents, and catch them off guard. Intelligence is their primary stat, the better to lay Xantos Gambits.

Hit Die: d4
Class Skills:
Skills/Level: 4 + Intelligence Bonus
BAB: Poor (as Wizard), Saves: Fort: Bad; Reflex: Good; Will: Good

1 Mages Deck, Trap Cards
2 Spell Cards
4 Surprise
5 Distant Traps
8 Detecting Traps

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Primary-spellcaster version of the Speedened (AKA the Objection! Fighter)? Or is this going to be built more around "persistent effects with triggers" than around "abilities you can use on your opponents' turns"?
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I'd post something about how this class is an unfinished piece of crap, but I have a feeling that Kaelik would somehow manage to preempt me with an awesome finished version.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:I'd post something about how this class is an unfinished piece of crap, but I have a feeling that Kaelik would somehow manage to preempt me with an awesome finished version.
I live in the now. As it lays, it's an unfinished piece of crap, without even a mention of future plans or design goals.
Congratulations.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:I'd post something about how this class is an unfinished piece of crap, but I have a feeling that Kaelik would somehow manage to preempt me with an awesome finished version.
Well I did post the outline yesterday.

And it will be the first class I ever make that has it's own complete spell list to choose from, instead of just being a collection of stuff that every single one gets.

So don't worry, you have weeks where this will still be an unfinished piece of crap.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

I just talked my GM into letting me play this class. One question: am I better off using divine metamagic or master of many forms 3?
Psychic Robot wrote:chock full of aspie
"BEEP BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE"
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Bihlbo wrote:I just talked my GM into letting me play this class. One question: am I better off using divine metamagic or master of many forms 3?
... That IS a joke, right?
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

For Valor wrote:
Bihlbo wrote:I just talked my GM into letting me play this class. One question: am I better off using divine metamagic or master of many forms 3?
I assume he missposted in the wrong thread.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I mean, this class is so unfinished it's practically unstarted.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

One could argue that this thread is, in fact, a trap. Just to underline how far-reaching this class's abilities could hypothetically be.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

For Valor wrote:
yup, implying that I'm gonna mix total cheese with this overpowered, utterly l33t piece of WIN
Last edited by Bihlbo on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Attention: This class is on indefinite hold until such time as I no longer enjoy playing Starcraft.

Anyone may make the class if they want to do the work.

Here is/was the plan:

Since the class is 70% Yugi Oh joke anyway, the character draws cards. Two types of cards, trap cards, and sorceries. Sorceries are non buff non attack spells. Utility stuff, animate rope, scry, whatever. Traps are all spells which are attack spells. Silent Image ect are trap cards. Most spells with a saving throw are trap cards.

They draw a hand from their deck, which is just a mixture of cards, and they can take a full round action, including their swift action to mulligan.

Sorceries can just be cast, but trap cards must be set down in a square as either a standard or swift action. Then they can be activated as an immediate or standard action. At some point, I was going to give the class an extra swift action/immediate action each round.

Also going to give enchantments, which are just permanently active buff spells. Chosen from a pretty wide list, but one every four levels with the first at level 4 or so.

Wasn't sure yet on how fast decks should be able to change, either on level up, up to total replacement, or possibly small changes allowed, but every day.

Trap cards auto succeed on attack rolls if they have them, and opponent is in square, and at some point class feature to project trap, IE, lay trap, activate trap so that it goes in direction.

Also going to add class feature to make traps tripped by things other than specific activation.

Probably wouldn't be too bad to just use the Wizard list and tell them not to fuck it up, but I was/will eventually make separate list for the class.

Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

Kaelik wrote:Here is/was the plan:

Since the class is 70% Yugi Oh (no reason to read further)
I take it back, this class sucks.
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

Bihlbo wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Here is/was the plan:

Since the class is 70% Yugi Oh (no reason to read further)
I take it back, this class sucks.
Haters gonne hate....
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Maybe you should read the next word, since it's the part where I say that it's a fucking Yugi Oh joke. It's a parody, it exists for the sole purpose of making fun of trap cards.

I mean, do you hate Yugi Oh abridged?

For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

before you leave to do SC things, would you mind giving a rough idea of what "Surprise" and "Detecting Traps" are?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

For Valor wrote:before you leave to do SC things, would you mind giving a rough idea of what "Surprise" and "Detecting Traps" are?
Surprise is extra immediate action.

Detecting Traps is traps that have built in alarm spells, or visual indicators, or pressure sensors, or whatever.

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

There needs to be a high level feat that summons Bailey Jay.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:There needs to be a high level feat that summons Bailey Jay.
Oh great. More "trap" discussions again.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

It's funny, I'm actually reading that thread. Though you'll keenly note that I didn't use the word. ;)
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.