Runelord for the Tome of Tiamat

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

the_taken
Knight-Baron

Runelord for the Tome of Tiamat

Post by the_taken »

I think I've come up with a version that may qualify for the Tome of Tiamat (if it was going to happen).

Runelord
"Everything is magic, as magic is everything. I draw real good. Guess what that means?" - anonymous

Runes are an older style of magical writing. While as potent as Holy Text or Arcane Scriptures, runes themselves cannot create power, only contain it. While other magicians incorporate runes in their writings (scrolls, books), Runelords almost exclusively use runes, instead relying on obtaining magic from others. Covered in magical glyphs, they glow from the supernatural energies they only command.

When we want an example Runelord, we look to Heimlyr, the stereotypical Human Runelord.

Hit Dice: d10 | Skill Points: 6+INT mod (x4 @ Lvl1)
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft (any), Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Hide, Knowledge (any), Sense Motive, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Use Magic Device
Base Attack Bonus: Good | Saves: Good Fort and Will, poor Reflex

Level :: Ability
  1. Armored in Runes, Symbol of Shields, Placard of Power +1d6
  2. Mettle, Spell Grace, Spellcasting, Steal Spell, Eschew Materials
  3. Aura of Armor, Colourful Icon, Silent Spell
  4. Aura of Grace, Placard of Power +2d6, Rune of Restoration
  5. Chromatic Aura, Hieroglyph of Healing, Improved Counter Spell
  6. Evasion, Absorb Spell, Endure Elements
  7. Mantle of Runes, Placard of Power +3d6
  8. Diagram of Travel, Runes of Running
  9. Aura of Speed, Runes of Anchorage, Rune of Resistance
  10. Placard of Power +4d6, Seal Magic, Aura of Resistance

Proficiencies: Runelords are proficient with all simple weapons and one martial weapon of their choice. Runelords are not proficient with any armors or shields.

Armored in Runes (Su)
The Runelord has scribed his flesh in magical symbols which channel ambient magic into a protective coating. As long as these runes are not covered by clothing or armor, they provide defence against both mighty weapons and powerful magics. The Runelord has a +4 armor bonus to AC, that also adds to his touch AC and incorporeal touch AC. This bonus improves by +1 at every even numbered class level.

Symbol of Sheilds (Su)
As a swift action, a Runelord may add his CHA mod as a deflection bonus to his AC for one round.

Placard of Power (Su)
As a swift action, a Runelord may elect to have all of his attacks deal an additional amount of damage for the next round. This extra damage is equal to +1d6 at first level, and an additional +1d6 for every three additional class level. This extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit.

Mettle (Ex)
A 2nd level Runelord who succeeds at a Fortitude Partial or Willpower Partial save takes no effect as if he had immunity.

Spell Grace (Su)
A 2nd level Runelord may add his CHA mod (if positive) as an untyped bonus to his Fortitude and Will saves.

Spellcasting
Starting at Lvl2, a Runelord begins to manipulate magic in a fashion similar to other mages. However, his knowledge of actual spells is very limited, in addition to only having a very modest amount of magical power.

A Runelord only has one spell slot, plus an additional spell slot for every five caster levels he attains. (2 at 5th, 3 at 10th, etc..) These spell slots count as being of a level equal to the half the Runelord's caster level.

A Runelord is considered to have every spell on his class list, but only knows a select few spells (as shown below).

Like a wizard, a Runelord refreshes his spell slots by resting for eight hours. Like a druid, a Runelord can prepare any spell he knows.
In lieu of preparing a spell, a Runelord may leave a spell slot empty, to attempt to steal a spell from an actual spell caster later.
The save DC of all of the Runelords spells (if needed) is based of the Runelord's CHA mod.

Eschew Material
The feat in the PHB is gained as a bonus feat.

Steal Spell (Su)
As a swift action, a Runelord may declare that his next successful melee attack will remove a magical power from the victim. The Runelord may declare which spell he is looking for. Apon successfully dealing damage, the subject looses the Runelord's requested spell, or a random spell the highest level the Runelord can cast if unavailable, or one use of a spell-like ability, as if having used it for the day. The Runelord then fills one of his empty spell slots with this stolen spell as if he had prepared it, or has one use of the stolen spell-like ability.
If the Runelord does not successfully deal damage to the subject within one round, this ability fails.
If the Runelord does not have an empty, unexpended spell slot, this ability fails.
If the Runelord gets a random spell, or spell-like ability he doesn't like, he may choose to not steal it.
Spontaneous spell casters subject to this ability looses an apropriate spell slot to the Runelord, in the form of the requested spell if known, or a random highest known spell level the Runelord can cast.

Aura of Armor (Su)
As a swift action, a 3rd level Runelord may provide every ally within 30ft his Armored in Runes ability for one round.

Colourful Icon (Su)
Once per day, a 3rd level Runelord chooses three energy types. He has resistance to those energy types equal to three times his class level for one day.

Silent Spell
All of a 3rd level Runelord's spells are affected by the Silent Spell [metamagic] feat at no cost.

Aura of Grace (Su)
As a swift action, a 4th level Runelord may provide every ally within 30ft his CHA mod to Fort and Will saves for one round.

Rune of Restoration (Su)
As a move equivalent action, a 4th level Runelord may restore any amount attribute damage or drain to a single attribute he has taken.

Chromatic Aura (Su)
As a swift action, a 5th levelRunelord may provide every ally within 30ft the same energy resistance he has from his Colourful Icon ability for one round.

Hieroglyph of Healing (Su)
Any spell a 5th level Runelord is subject to that fails to affect him instead heals him a number of HP equal to three times the spell's level. Any spell-like ability the Runelord is subject to that fails to affect him instead heals him a number of HP equal to twice the creature's HD plus 5.

Improved Counterspell
The feat from the PHB is gained as a bonus feat.

Evasion (Ex)
If a 6th or higher level Runelord makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. A helpless Runelord does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Absorb Spell (Su)
Any spell a 6th level Runelord is subject to that fails to affect him may instead be stolen as an immediate action. Any spell-like ability the Runelord is subject to that fails to affect him may instead be stolen as an immediate action.

Endure Elements (Su)
A 6th level Runelord's magical runes protect him from adverse conditions of weather and climate. He under the constant effects of an Endure Elements spell.

Mantle of Runes (Su)
Once per day, a 7th level Runelord may make any Aura ability he knows function continuously for one day.

Runes of Running (Su)
An 8th level Runelord benefits from a 30ft enhancement bonus to his movement speed.

Rune of Resistance (Su)
An 8th level Runelord's magical scribbles protect him from magical forces. He gains spell resistance equal 5 + his class level, or improves it by +3 if he already has spell resistance.

Diagram of Travel (Su)
An 9th level Runelord may use Greater Teleport as a supernatural ability after drawing a complex set of runes requiring ten minutes of work.

Aura of Speed (Su)
As a swift action, a 9th level Runelord may grant every ally within 30ft a 60ft enhancement bonus to their movement speed for one round.

Runes of Anchorage (Su)
As an immediate action, a 9th level Runlord may subject everything within a 30ft radius to a Dimensional Anchor spell for one round. Creatures may make a reflex save vs. 10 + 1/2 Runelord's level + CHA mod to avoid this effect.

Seal Magic (Su)
As a standard action, a 10th level Runelord may attempt to place a powerful magical rune that completely negates magic apon a creature. If the Runelord succeeds on melee touch attack, or make an attack and successfully deal damage, the victim must make a will save or be subject to a personal anti-magic field that prevents all spell casting, spell-like abilities and suppresses all supernatural abilities. Summoned creatures that fail their save are destroyed or banished, depending apon the DM's rules about summoned creatures. The point is summoned creatures go away.

Aura of Resistance (Su)
As a swift action, a 10th level Runelord may grant every ally within 30ft spell resistance equal to 5 + his class level, or grant a +3 bonus to spell resistance if they already have it.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
CatharzGodfoot
King

Re: Runelord for the Tome of Tiamat

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

"Armored in Runes" -> "Runescribed Flesh". Why? Because Boneblade Reapers have "Deathscribed Flesh".

Other than that no comment. I've had a thing for runic magic since I set eyes on Wayne Barlowe's Inferno, but this is quite a different beast.

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Missing: The Runelord's known spells. I'm seriously thinking there should be 7 spells. Protection from Evil/Gandhi/Frogs/Robots, Protection from Arrows, Wind Wall and Wall of Force

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

My favourite take has always been the runelords series of books. I'd love to work out how to make it fly in D&D - it's actually very D&D-esque in that the big man protects all the peasants and in return they give him power.

The basic concept is you can transfer an 'attribute' form one person to another by runic magic, but when the donor dies the receipent loses the power, and when the recipient dies the donor gets it back - but in the mean time he doesn't have it, so if I donate you my voice, I am dumb, if my wit, I am catatonic etc which the author uses to poses moral dilemmas.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

yesss! Barlowe.

I wonder what the original creator of the Runelord thinks? Would it be a good idea to send him a link to this?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

He's already got a copy. He likes some ideas, but thinks Rune of Restoration is over powered.

Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Catharz, I recently formatted my HD, and was wondering what my desktop background would be. Thanks for putting a great end to it.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

One silly quibble about the wording of Hieroglyph of Healing:

Someone casts "Finger of Death" on you and you pass the save: Mettle saves your ass here, you are not effected, you get healed.

Someone casts Fireball and you are a target: Either way, you take damage so you get no healing.

Someone casts Scorching Ray and misses you: Well done, you get healed.

Someone casts Confusion and fails to penetrate your SR: Healing!

Someone casts CLW on their friend: It didn't affect you, enjoy your healing.

Someone on the other side of the world summons a monster: You are unaffected, you get healed.

This isn't even broken, it just means "you get some healing whenever any spell is cast, as long as you don't get affected by it.", but you might want to clarify. Besides, when you get to steal spells that fail to effect you, well...

"Hey, he cast Invisibility on himself! Fuck that, that didn't affect me, so I steal it!"

"Dude, someone on the other side of the planet is casting Evard's Sodomising Tentacles right now. I know they are, because it's so useful. I'll steal it."
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Creatures aren't "subject" to spell effects in D&D at all so I honestly have no idea whether he would be affected in any of those instances.

Spells target characters or spells have effects which may or may not affect a character. So for example scorching ray doesn't have a target. It creates an effect, which is a ranged touch attack which bounces off of Spell Defense and inflicts no-save Fire Damage if it hits.

Probably a better plan would be to have healing go off on a successful save or a failure to penetrate SR or something.

-Username17
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Semantics...

How about: If the Runelord is targeted by a spell and he either makes his save against, or his spell resistance prevents him from being affected by it, he may instead steal the spell as an immediate action. He may not steal the spell if he has no unexpended spell slots.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I suggest a name change, since at this point it's not anything like the original "Runelord".
Besides, Runelord is goomy. How about something more Barlowe-esque?

Consider a range limit on stealing spells.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

The range limit of stealing spells is melee attacks and spells that target him. I think this is more that fair. Consider that the Runelord as is can only cast 5 spell by 20th level.

I suck with names, and am completely open to suggestions.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, I knew what you meant with the description of the abilities, I just figured it's best to word them properly to avoid weird things occasionally happening and people saying "We wouldn't even be arguing about this if it was worded properly."

That does sound better, though. If you make the save or it fails to penetrate your SR, then you win twice.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Well, Rune(anything else) would work but mostly I just feel like it turned from a series of suggestions to the creator of the original Runelord on the Wiz into its own class.
And to steal the name would be a slap in the face, IMHO.

Runemonger
Runemaster
Runemage
Rune Knight
Rune Warrior
Runecaster
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

I personally like Rune Knight, be the current class lacks heavy armor. I gave it a weaker version of Armored in Life [Dungeonomicon Monk) to compensate for it.
Runemonger sounds rude.
Runemage and Runecaster both sound like a full casters.
Rune Master sounds arrogant.
Rune Warrior is OK. Just OK.

The originator liked the ideas that I presented in my rewrite but considered Rune of Restoration overpowered.

I'm going to acid test this soon.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Runecockmonger, then. They steal your spells with big buggered eyes and a grimace.

And the Rune Masterbator. They... do stuff. With runes. Stolen from spellcasters.
And then give them back later.
Ew.

My Bloodline feats are just now being acid-tested, and it burns.
With a very, very low pH.

Well, I mean that 1 person (here) considers them generally OK, one is undecided but found a few glitches, and the other 2 are blown away by the cheesey power of the self-advancing feats.

Designing is easy... getting at least half the audience of gamers satisfied is the hard part.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

This guy and any Caster Level loop at all will end the world. Spellcasting based on caster level? What the hell man? Hasn't the Word taught you anything?

I suggest changing it to character level and making it come up more often. As is, your first level is decent and your second level is fvcking awesome!
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1198790818[/unixtime]]This guy and any Caster Level loop at all will end the world. Spellcasting based on caster level? What the hell man? Hasn't the Word taught you anything?

Yes. When Frank and K team up, they are more awesome than thr3 ninjas.

The answer is to use your noggin and not allow loophole cheese to increase the number of spell slots. Only the actual caster level from class levels, not the effective one that can be boosted from spells or whatever will generate spell slots. In any case, my players don't know about the sublime chord, and if they did, I'd tell them not to abuse it.

I suggest changing it to character level and making it come up more often. As is, your first level is decent and your second level is fvcking awesome!

It is not my intent to allow this ability to scale after leaving the class unless the character enters a PrC that promotes spellcasting by giving +1 caster level.

But what do you mean by "making it come up more often"?