Nazis

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Nazis

Post by Username17 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/70890 ... r][br]This is pretty much all true. But it's also much weirder than that.

http://waitinginline.insanejournal.com/ ... ]Seriously, Kristalnacht anniversary comes and the Neo Nazis came out in force - to protest military actions by far right extremists? But actually to protest gypsies and jews, but you knew that.

-Username17
Hey_I_Can_Chan
Master

Re: Nazis

Post by Hey_I_Can_Chan »

So, wait. They're celebrating the 69th Kristalnacht anniversary?

Are the neo-Nazis in Prague big, like, Bill and Ted fans or something?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

dumb public-schooled 20-something question:"What's Kristallnacht?"

slightly less stupid question: is that your journal frank?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Kristalnacht was a day about 69 years ago when Hitler go the people of Deutchland to rise up and break a bunch of shit belonging to Jews. The SS and the SA (which had yet to be purged), along with a mass of civilian shit heads went around smashing the homes and temples and places of business that Jews had. It's called "the night of broken glass" because of all the smashed windows that they left in fragments on the street.

Times of London wrote:no foreign propagandist bent upon blackening Germany before the world could outdo the tale of burnings and beatings, of blackguardly assaults on defenceless and innocent people, which disgraced that country yesterday.

And yes, that's my journal.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

thanks for explaining, my world history class was really fucked up, due to our good teacher being called to active duty and a parade of unbearable long term subs being trotted out, and we really pretty much glossed right over WWII...

and cool. Though we have differences in opinion on what's a worthy career, I'd like to know how you're doing over there.. especially when shit like this happens.

I'm laughing my ass of about the signs...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

It's unfortunate that the pic in the BBC article shows people waving the flag of Israel. Zionism only adds more fuel to the Nazi fire.

And yeah, I've been reading your Insanejournal. It's been a regular source of amusement, but it leaves me wondering: Do you regret going to Prague? I mean, so far you've made it sound like an aesthetically pleasing hellhole.
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

FrankTrollma wrote:The post office itself was described to me as a “hideous blue and red building that is awful to look at” and indeed this is a fairly accurate depiction of it.

This intrigues me, and made me laugh. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures, would you?
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Prak is making me hate the US school system even more.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

History is pretty laughable in australia - you don't really venture outside of australia until year 8+, and australian history is the most boring subject ever. EVER.

Gold rushes and bush rangers :(
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I hated Australian History. We don't HAVE a fucking history. A bunch of Europeans found the worst Hell-hole they could, and some decided to try living here while mostly England just threw all the no-hopers here and hoped they'd get killed off by wildlife.

A hundred years later, here we are now, and nothing interesting happened to us in the meantime.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Same for Brazil. We don't have an history either, except for the hilarious part where the "beloved" Portuguese royal family came here outta fear of the Napoleonic Wars. The public school sucks too; the only thing I learned there was how to knock people down. :(
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Bigode at [unixtime wrote:1194902438[/unixtime]]Same for Brazil. We don't have an history either, except for the hilarious part where the "beloved" Portuguese royal family came here outta fear of the Napoleonic Wars. The public school sucks too; the only thing I learned there was how to knock people down. :(

Everything I know about Brazilian history I learned from a Capoeira mestre XD
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

But, dude!

South America was filled with wars and intrigue and hundreds of thousand of people dying just like in Europe and the US Civil War over territory with 0.001th of the people per square mile!

There's battlefields in places that still no people live and cities massacred and an entire nation lost its sea coast over bird poop.

Man, there's a history to learn.

-Crissa
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Sorry, I was exaggerating on purpose. We have more history than I like to admit, like this fvcking shame - the loser country takes its vengeance someone even worse; not the kind of thing to want to talk about.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

We're living history every day.
I pity the children that will learn about Bush and our current semi-Nazi American government through half-truths told by the 'winners' of our current conflicts.
I'd also comment about the nations of America and Israel becoming more like their supposed worst enemy (Nazis) but th- OH SHIT! Just did.
Russia slips back into dictatorship, bullying tiny ex-Soviet nations and abusing minorities.
Arabs go wild (more).
China and Korea(s) ignore conventional human rights.

Ya know, if you squint a little, it would almost seem as if the world just doesn't change. 2007 or 1942, no difference.

So, what to do?

I agree, American public education is shit. And from the view of an autistic individual denied special education support for being "not disabled enough", doubly shitty.
To our school system, the Civil War and WW2 were the most important events in world history.
Trigonometry, gym, and writing essays in half an hour are essential life skills.
And apparently, bullying from fellow students is a Bad Thing (if you don't fight back, though. if you do, you're screwed.) while bullying from teachers is OK.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1194924161[/unixtime]]Ya know, if you squint a little, it would almost seem as if the world just doesn't change. 2007 or 1942, no difference.

So, what to do?

Live your life as best you can, do what few things you're able to influence positive change, maybe become an activist. The great unwashed masses of humanity don't change, and can't be forced to change; they can only be influenced by what they see and hear, and even then it only triggers a temporary and limited shift in direction. We've been stupid, violent, and lazy since civilization emerged in the fertile crescent, and some thousands of years of abject lessons on what not to do isn't going to change that.

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1194924161[/unixtime]]while bullying from teachers is OK.

That's called discipline, or abuse depending on how it's handled and who you ask, and it's lacking enough in homes and schools as it is.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1194899698[/unixtime]]Yeah, I hated Australian History. We don't HAVE a fucking history. A bunch of Europeans found the worst Hell-hole they could, and some decided to try living here while mostly England just threw all the no-hopers here and hoped they'd get killed off by wildlife.

A hundred years later, here we are now, and nothing interesting happened to us in the meantime.

It's more like 200, but yeah. Aside from hilarious things like abel tasman failing to find australia after finding NZ and tasmania, it is all rather dull.

I'm not even sure about it being the 'worst' hell hole, it just happened to somewhere far away and maybe they could make some money.

On the flipside I think australia is a fabulous place to live for all the same reasons that make history duller than dishwater. I reckon that the differing levels of religious sentiment in australia and america have to do with the differing levels of religious feeling in europe at the time.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I'm not saying Australia is bad. Well, assuming you live in Adelaide (or the suburbs close enough to it), Melbourne (or within Zone 1 or the closer parts of Zone 2) or Sy... wait, scratch that last one. The Whitlams did a trilogy of songs about a guy who commits suicide because he lives in Sydney. An Australian news reporter recently did commit suicide, because she lived in Sydney. It really does suck.

So as long as you live in one of the above two areas, Australia isn't bad. We just don't have any history, and maybe "not having a civil war or being invaded" is a good thing. I don't mind not being shot at, after all. Some even say it carries benefits.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1194951964[/unixtime]]
That's called discipline, or abuse depending on how it's handled and who you ask, and it's lacking enough in homes and schools as it is.

So how is a child to know which is which? In memory, only the pain remains but not the reason or lesson learned. While kids operate low on Kolberg's scale, no one should have had the inconsistent and often loopholed "do as I say and not as I do" reward/punishment system that I and others have experienced in public school and at home. It's as if America was meant to be (as the schools teach) a big stewpot of multicultural ethics, but it ends up being a WASP/neo-Nazi dominated cesspool of socially repressed desires.
As the saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child, and America is one big fucked up village.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

If the disciplinarian in question legitimately cares, and isn't a fuck up, the child will benefit from a proper amount of discipline and structure in their lives 99.9% of the time. Otherwise they'll only resent the abuse and build up emotional baggage.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1194984897[/unixtime]]So as long as you live in one of the above two areas, Australia isn't bad. We just don't have any history, and maybe "not having a civil war or being invaded" is a good thing. I don't mind not being shot at, after all. Some even say it carries benefits.

Haha, I wasn't saying you were!

And yeah, the history is boring - I greatly enjoyed living in england because of that.

I actually live in canberra which is pretty reasonable in terms of nice places to live, if a bit boring.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I was once on a bus that went through Canberra. It was very small. I could have spat across the whole city (and if I failed, I would have spat on the ACT - win win situation :thumb:)

But seriously, it doesn't look like a bad place, just... small.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Yeah, yeah, there's small places in the US, too.

Maybe not as remote, but I graduated highschool in a town of a thousand year-round residents on a sand spit the size of manhattan. Originally the school was thirty miles up the coast shared with the indian reservation another thirty beyond that. And thiry miles inland was the 'big' city, where there was actually a mall and a theater. Four hours travel to a city of over a million, and each of those two cities had more population that the rest of the two states combined.

Yeah, yeah, that's why you aussies like the internet so much. Because ambling down to the neighbor's isn't a walk in the park.

-Crissa
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1195029098[/unixtime]]
Yeah, yeah, that's why you aussies like the internet so much. Because ambling down to the neighbor's isn't a walk in the park.

Pretty much.

Also, Brisbane > other cities.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Never been there, but seeing as that'd involve going to the crappy state Brisbane is located in (Queensland), filled with people who have all had their brains fried, I'm happy to have not gone to Brisbane.

Though we shouldn't have a "which shitty state/city is better than the others" thing. Because at least we're not in Tasmania.

(State the individual likes best) > the other states > Tasmania > new Zealand > the rest of the world

Similar to (American state you like best) > the other (Northern/Southern) states > the rest of the USA > Canadia and Mexico > the rest of the world

Or Sweden > the rest of Scandinavia > the rest of Europe > the rest of the world.

It's pretty standard. And fun.