Knight

Religion?

Post by Brobdingnagian »

Religion?
User3
Prince

Re: Sigh, D&D and what it can't do.

Post by User3 »

Well, it could be the Bible, some Satanist book, or maybe even a book from someone else - who knows? Note that the Bible may well agree with a Satanist book about who's in charge in Hell - or it could not. And, if it's a Satanist book, that's not even saying much, because there are different currents in it. So, I'd like to know who he was quoting. And I think JE was as specifically curious as me about how he got specific classes ...

Is there a way to attach archives here? While writing this, I found a piece of beauty at Wikipedia that I'd like to share ... of course, now gone because it was a "depredation".
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yeah, the idea of a bunch of adventuring fiends would be interesting.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Biggest source for devil information might be various Roman Catholic monks inventing reasons to give the Church money (or burn in Hell) over the last few hundred years.
Grue, anyone? "Devils of the air, earth and sea" and so on.
Hell, entire catagories of devils and legions and princes just to scare laymembers into behavior similar to Kohlberg's first stage of morality.
No offense to Satanists, mind you.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

It's dark. You're likely to be eaten by a grue.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

It's weird though, all the satanist I've ever met seem to be decent people.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well, some Satanists also use their faith's name as a shit filter. Scares square pegs off.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

My spouse asks if the Lok-Nar gives a bonus to boob-touches...

-Crissa
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Only if you say "daboo" first. You get to roll an extra dice and add it to your initial roll.

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I have Gloves of Groping +3.
Does this stack with my class-based bonus of Geek Perv?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1178645794[/unixtime]]I have Gloves of Groping +3.
Does this stack with my class-based bonus of Geek Perv?

More importantly does it stack with my ring of Fingers of Fantastic Fondling +3?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1178602886[/unixtime]]My spouse asks if the Lok-Nar gives a bonus to boob-touches...

-Crissa

Against Antarean boobs, sure.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Guest (Unregistered) at [unixtime wrote:1178576088[/unixtime]]Well, it could be the Bible, some Satanist book, or maybe even a book from someone else - who knows? Note that the Bible may well agree with a Satanist book about who's in charge in Hell - or it could not. And, if it's a Satanist book, that's not even saying much, because there are different currents in it. So, I'd like to know who he was quoting. And I think JE was as specifically curious as me about how he got specific classes ...

Is there a way to attach archives here? While writing this, I found a piece of beauty at Wikipedia that I'd like to share ... of course, now gone because it was a "depredation".

source: Satanic Bible, Anton LaVey, founder of modern satanism.

The four crown princes of hell are the four individuals in charge of the place within satanic symbols(as that's what we use hell, satan, etc. as.)

so, Lucifer: Spellsword
Lucifer is, in traditional thought, soldier and enlightener. He is both master of sword, and master of thought, thus, it makes sense that his role would reflect this, probably with a wiz/ftr(or swa, or knight)/spellsword/eldritch knight build.

Belial: Tank
wikipedia, Belial wrote:In other religious traditions
The Satanic Bible names Belial as one of the Four Crown Princes of Hell (specifically, the North Crown), and states that his name means "'without a master' and symbolizes true independence, self-sufficiency, and personal accomplishment."[3] Belial represents the earth element, is the Master of Mankind and the Champion of Humanity, and represents the carnal and base urges of mankind.

http://www.dpjs.co.uk/crownprinces.html wrote:Being without a master. Mastery of the Earth.
Independence. Community. Flesh.

Represents earth and flesh, what are those most commonly linked to? tanks.

Leviathan: Theurge
Leviathan is the crown prince which represents whose province is magic, thus it makes sense, at least to me, to make him/her/it(gender varies based upon who's talking about leviathan, my first exposure portrayed her as a female, thus that's how I think of her.) a master of both arcane magic and divine magic(herself being her own source.)

Satan: actually, I'm going to say role is Druid/Warlock, possibly with some reflavoured blighter.
Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible Book of Lucifer IV wrote:"Most Satanists do not accept Satan as an anthropomorphic being with cloven hooves, a barbed tail, and horns. He merely represents a force in nature - the powers of darkness which have been named just that because no religion has taken these forces out of the darkness"

Satan is the key symbol and figure of satanism, he represents the forces of darkness and nature(and no religion has taken the forces of nature out of the forces of "darkness"), thus a darkly flavoured druid. Satan is also the "self god" thus a class of magic that is completely self reliant is in order, ie, warlock(never mind the flavour aspect of unholy bargains, let's just say it's satan's own natural power).

mostly I just chose roles that sounded right.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Thank you, Prak Anima. I was interested, too.

;)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Thanks a lot, Prak Anima!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

not a problem! wow, people actually thanking me when I talk about satanism, I'm starting to like this forum a lot more than wizards!
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Like I said. If you use Satanism as a shit-filter, you tend to see less shit.

I'm too far gone into my own wierd blend of theism/atheism myself.

Although, apparently Atheism is scary to people. Doesn't mean you lose spirituality or ethics though.

User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Prak Anima: I only won't say I like this one more than Wizards Community because the humongously larger number of members ensures I see more pilferable material there than here (despite the average "member quality" being much higher here). But I saw that, and am sad, not the least due to the now-gone opportunity for Christians to show they can play D&D and be devout at the same time. But I'd chalk the WizO's situation to not being their fault for one simple reason: there are kids there (unlike, seemingly, here), and they are, in general, children of "Christian" fathers (because nobody has the slightest idea about what following Christ means) who don't want their offspring to touch Satanism even with 100000-ft. poles (that is, want them to be false Christians just like them).

For the record, I'm atheist - it's just that I respect well-intentioned faith in the rare event of seeing it (and no, I don't consider "forced conversion" to be well-intentioned in the slightest). Judging Eagle: I think people simply don't trust individual thought; the worst is that it may not even be blame-worthy, as most people's thoughts are garbage; so, folks just can't be sure that you/me aren't in the same boat, and feel forced to believe ideas only can come from above.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

True to all that, I too thank you Prak for the Satanic expertise where doing so in WOTC would get us all banned for this discussion (or at least locked and warned, THEN banned).

As I've stated there, I'll repeat here: even though I may be sympathetic to the plight of individual responsibility of Free Will (read: Satanism), I am not Satanist. The closest label would be Hindu/Buddhist/Catholic/Celt/Asatru/Wiccan/Taoist. There's really no category, since my "belief system" is more like.. OK, that works I'll do that / but I won't be doing 'hail Mary's.
No to incantations, yes to meditations.
No to worship, yes to ancestral and nature god/ashra/saint veneration.
There are at least 1 god(s) which may or may not be both individual and plural or maybe a pantheon awaiting me after death.
Maybe I'll be judged, maybe not, don't really care, I'll give em the finger anyways and tell St. Peter or whomever to kiss me Irish arse.
Third party members and churches are not required to reach states of enlightenment IMHO.

There have been some weird encounters with Baptists/Evangelicals around here on the east coast USA when I reveal the slightest bit about what I've done over the years, religion-wise. They get into fervent-preaching-mode, harass me at every further encounter, do their best to talk me into joining their church.
Some, when told I don't want to, tell me I'm "lost" and I must be "saved".

I also punch Jehova's witnesses (at least, the young guys that jump out of vans in parking lots to distribute booklets, which is illegal).
They are invading my pagan territory many times a year.

Anyone else?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I merely tell those people preaching about the redeemer that I am my own redeemer.

and most threads on wotc that I start discussing satanism in only get locked.

Brobdingnagian
Knight

Post by Brobdingnagian »

I dunno, I guess I'm kinda catholic/agnostic. Hell, I'd probably still be a full follower of catholicism if it weren't for the practices of inducting members before they're able to make an educated choice in the matter. I like the idea of not being allowed to kill people. I like the idea of always giving a helping hand. I don't like evangelists, because I feel they ruin it for the rest of their faith.

But I think we're off-topic here.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

We went off-topic loooooong ago.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

No, I'm pretty sure this is all still stuff D&D can't handle.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1178672045[/unixtime]]*home brewed belief system*

You believe in a god, who most likely is infinitely more powerful than you, but you plan on telling them to shove it upon death. This seems...unwise.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

In general most boards (especially wizards) adopts a "no religion" arguments. I understand why, but I think it is a touch of an overkill. A more precise ban would be never talk about a reliigon in the third person, as what they believe. Only talk honestly about what your religion believes (with the exception of what your religion believes about other religions which is just a variant on what "they" believe). And then with the understanding that you're probably not perfect and others might have a different understanding of what your religion believes so it should always be discuss calmly what you think your religion believes.

This way you can discuss things and agree to disagree.

A: "I believe in Chocolate."
B: "I believe in Peanut Butter."
C: "I believe in Chocolate and Peanut Butter!"

(Exercise to the reader: Can you spot the Roman Catholic among the A,B and C?)