Moderator: Moderators

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Bioshock

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Who here has played Bioshock?
Was it as cracked up to be?
Myself, I loved it.
In case you don't know what this is, here's the link.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Re: Bioshock

Post by MrWaeseL »

Eh, it was okay. Not as good as system shock 2 though.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

System shock two with bits cut off to dumb it down for the console tards ;)

But yeah I actually kinda liked it. It was pretty, the plot was okay, etc. It was really SS2 with lots of corners cut off and what was left mostly shined right up, and someone got fingerprints all over it. Stupid sidetracking post 'walk across room' objectives and 'unbreakable wall between you and anyone you can ever communicate with; stuff.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

cthulhu at [unixtime wrote:1196397917[/unixtime]]System shock two with bits cut off to dumb it down for the console tards ;)

But yeah I actually kinda liked it. It was pretty, the plot was okay, etc. It was really SS2 with lots of corners cut off and what was left mostly shined right up, and someone got fingerprints all over it. Stupid sidetracking post 'walk across room' objectives and 'unbreakable wall between you and anyone you can ever communicate with; stuff.

I hate unbreakable walls.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I like the "next-gen monster closets." Clearly an idea that is fresh and innovating.:tongue:
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That rules.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1196533559[/unixtime]]That rules.

Yarr, it most certainly does rule. I ought to try out System Shock 2.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

You should watch all the other ones too. They're great, because that guy is just as much of a grumpy bastard as most of us are.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

If you can stand the (b todays standards) shittastic graphics, if you liked bioshock you're like ss2.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Personally, I prefer good animation, character design, and game design (not in that order) over sharp graphics.

But that's kinda why I end up playing more Asian games than American/english speaking world ones.

Bioshock and Portal were supposed to be 'groundbreaking' and their designers came up to me and said they were. I said they were shit. And they really didn't like that.

-Crissa
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196590287[/unixtime]]Personally, I prefer good animation, character design, and game design (not in that order) over sharp graphics.

But that's kinda why I end up playing more Asian games than American/english speaking world ones.

Bioshock and Portal were supposed to be 'groundbreaking' and their designers came up to me and said they were. I said they were shit. And they really didn't like that.

-Crissa

Uh oh, looks like we got ourselves a connoisseur.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Funny, connoisseur isn't the word I would have used.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Crissa wrote:good animation, character design, and game design

If you dont mind, please tell me which Japanese games (screw that "Asian" shit, i dont see any Paki or Mongolian games arround) actually fit the criteria above? I've played a number of them, and one thing that's universal is that Jap games have no game design. The game that put me of for good is that Lost Planet crap. 50€?? Should have asked for my money back.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... o[br][br]I don't like most of the asian games I've played, JRPGs in particular are toxic.

However, elite beat agents and phoenix ride? (I cannot remember how to spell it) are actually very good fun.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Look, even Mystic Heroes or Paper Mario has better animation than most of the American crap. And they're mass produced cartoon effects.

I'd much rather talk to the artists involved with ICO or Shadow of the Colossus. And I did, though none of them speak any English - only Japanese. Ohwell. But they actually had to design how the characters would move - and there was actual groundbreaking animation in Shadow, as they programmed their situational, coded animation to deal with programatic, automatically generate animation - the characters are all fully animated, but the colossi are programatic like most video games in the US.

In other words, the characters react to the world, instead of merely doing whatever.

You could say that Prince of Persia was similar... And it was, in its original form. But Portal and Bioshock merely take advantage of computers being able to place things in arbitrary, non-Euclid planes.

And I'm sorry you're ignorant of the hundred million other game players and developers in Korea, Taiwan, and mainland China. Yeah, they make some crap - but they make sure that it's fun first, because it won't otherwise survive in their competitive markets.

But it also means that game types that never even get considered here - like Harvest Moon or Elite Beat Agents - get play there because the market is larger.

Take advantage of the massively overpopulated segments of the world and their positive influence on art, man.

-Crissa

Stupid mark-up
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Elite beat agents has the shittest animation in the world if you are looking at things like that though. Great game but.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

josephbt at [unixtime wrote:1196615679[/unixtime]]
(screw that "Asian" shit, i dont see any Paki or Mongolian games arround)

Looks like someone hasn't been introduced to the genius that is "Yak Herder Hero".
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

PS, I'm not a connoisseur, I'm a <i>Games Design Analyst</i>. ^-^

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

(I fixed the bracket problem for you in the quote)

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196661421[/unixtime]]PS, I'm not a connoisseur, I'm a Games Design Analyst. ^-^

Webster's Dictionary which may or may not be Morocco Bound wrote:1 : one who is expert in a subject; especially : one who understands the details, technique, or principles of an art and is competent to act as a critical judge

I'm more in the lines of the second definition

ibid wrote:2 : a discriminating judge or critic of something : one who enjoys with discrimination and appreciation of subtleties

Bear in mind that most role playing systems are sort of like budweizer :sick:

I'm still looking for a system with the bold flavor that would be the gaming equivalent of "Arrogant Bastard Ale," ... "You're Not Worthy."

Daiba
Journeyman

Post by Daiba »

Bioshock, as previously mentioned, is a piece of consolized crap. They cut out everything that made System Shock 2 so immersive and addicting, and put in a bunch of useless gimmicks while dumbing the game down with things like an arrow that points unerringly towards your objective.

Portal, on the other hand, is innovative, precisely because it solves a lot of the computational problems associated with simulating portals and cameras/mirrors in a modern game engine (and then utilizes that to create new gameplay dynamics). Frankly, the effort that goes into resolving something like that is far more difficult, time consuming, and also more greatly benefits the industry as a whole than any single set of "animations". Computers don't just magically gain the ability to do cool new shit, people have to put their minds to it and figure out how to effectively utilize all that increasing computational power.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Crissa if you were serious about your 'Games Design Analyst' post you should just go ahead and take a gun to the roof of your mouth right now because there is no way you will climb out of the pit of patheticness you have dug for yourself in this lifetime.

And portal was cool, except the whole nerds latching on to the 'companion cube' without seeing the irony.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

MrWaesel, you've really got to stop giving me such good setups with which to insult Crissa, I only have so much will power; sooner or later I'll end up getting banned.

Though I suppose you'll reply with something along the lines of "NOW WOULDN'T THAT BE A SHAME.", or possibly ignore me.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Let's not make this thread any more about me or Crissa than it already is. She can make one good burn back and then it's back to talking about Bioshock :)