(I only quoted part of the articles)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/04 ... ng/[br][br]
site wrote:Secret mailing list rocks Wikipedia
High School Musical 3
Page: 1 2 Next >
By Cade Metz → More by this author
Published Tuesday 4th December 2007 00:48 GMT
Find out how your peers are dealing with Virtualization

Exclusive On the surface, all is well in Wikiland. Just last week, a headline from The San Francisco Chronicle told the world that "Wikipedia's Future Is Still Looking Up," as the paper happily announced that founder Jimmy "Jimbo" Wales plans to expand his operation with a high-profile move to the city by the bay.

But underneath, there's trouble brewing.

Controversy has erupted among the encyclopedia's core contributors, after a rogue editor revealed that the site's top administrators are using a secret insider mailing list to crackdown on perceived threats to their power.

Many suspected that such a list was in use, as the Wikipedia "ruling clique" grew increasingly concerned with banning editors for the most petty of reasons. But now that the list's existence is confirmed, the rank and file are on the verge of revolt.

Revealed after an uber-admin called "Durova" used it in an attempt to enforce the quixotic ban of a longtime contributor, this secret mailing list seems to undermine the site's famously egalitarian ethos. At the very least, the list allows the ruling clique to push its agenda without scrutiny from the community at large. But clearly, it has also been used to silence the voice of at least one person who was merely trying to improve the encyclopedia's content.

"I've never seen the Wikipedia community as angry as they are with this one," says Charles Ainsworth, a Japan-based editor who's contributed more feature articles to the site than all but six other writers. "I think there was more hidden anger and frustration with the 'ruling clique' than I thought and Durova's heavy-handed action and arrogant refusal to take sufficient accountability for it has released all of it into the open."

Kelly Martin, a former member of Wikipedia's Arbitration Committee, leaves no doubt that this sort of surreptitious communication has gone on for ages. "This particular list is new, but the strategy is old," Martin told us via phone, from outside Chicago. "It's certainly not consistent with the public principles of the site. But in reality, it's standard practice."

Meanwhile, Jimbo Wales has told the community that all this is merely a tempest in a teacup. As he points out, the user that Durova wrongly banned was reinstated after a mere 75 minutes. But it would seem that Jimbo has done his best to suppress any talk of the secret mailing list.

Whatever the case, many longtime editors are up-in-arms. And the site's top administrators seem more concerned with petty site politics than with building a trustworthy encyclopedia. "The problem with Wikipedia is that, for so many in the project, it's no longer about the encyclopedia," Martin wrote in a recent blog post. "The problem is that Wikipedia's community has defined itself not in terms of the encyclopedia it is supposedly producing, but instead of the people it venerates and the people it abhors."

Wait, if you give nerds a little power they go off the deep end? Who would have thought it?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/06 ... ck/[br][br]
site wrote:Wikipedia black helicopters circle Utah's Traverse Mountain
SlimVirgin, naked short selling, and the end of Web 2.0
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
By Cade Metz in San Francisco → More by this author
Published Thursday 6th December 2007 21:35 GMT
Find out how your peers are dealing with Virtualization

Exclusive "We aren't democratic." That's how Wikipedia founder Jimmy "Jimbo" Wales described his famously-collaborative online encyclopedia in a recent puff piece from The New York Times Magazine. "The core community appreciates when someone is knowledgeable," he said, "and thinks some people are idiots and shouldn't be writing."

This is true. Despite its popular reputation as a Web 2.0 wonderland, Wikipedia is not a democracy. But the totalitarian attitudes of the site's ruling clique go much further than Jimbo cares to acknowledge.

In early September, the Wikipedia inner circle banned edits from 1,000 homes and one massive online retailer in an attempt to suppress the voice of one man.

His name is Judd Bagley, and when the ban came down, he hadn't edited Wikipedia in over a year. He was merely writing about the site, from his own domain. The Wikipedia elite blacklisted Judd Bagley because he accused them of using their powers to hijack reality.

Talk of Wikipedia admins trying to seize "the truth" may sound familiar. Famously, comedian Stephen Colbert has poked more than a few holes in the site's commitment to democratic consensus, making fun of its efforts to clamp down on edits deemed less than factual. And the web is still abuzz over the secret mailing list used by top administrators to silence inconvenient voices.

But what happens when, say, the Wikipedia elite decides to take a topic as weighty as the health of US financial markets under its control without informing the public of its decision?

How far will Wikipedia's arbiters of truth go? Come with us down the rabbit hole.

Truth by consensus is a bad idea? Who would have thought it?

:dance:
Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: Eugh, Wikipedia

Post by Koumei »

Wikipedia makes me feel that the death of the Internet wouldn't be a completely bad thing. I'd be annoyed that I couldn't post what amounts to utter crap here, but at least Wiki would be gone.

Ah, and once upon a time it used to be really easy to become a mod. You had to start by putting "I'm only 12 and I want to one day become a mod." in your profile, then just agree with anything a mod ever said, or perhaps do a whole heap of random reverts to make yourself look productive.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

I love Wikipedia. I use it on an almost daily basis, and I've donated money.

That said, I use it almost exclusively for science stuff, which tends to be free of Wikipedo drama.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

'Waah, wikipedia geeks communicate!'

WTF, who cares?

Of course you're going to get cliques and cooperatives trying for various - even positive- agenda. That doesn't mean the practice of communicating and cooperating is bad, merely because authoritarians use it.

Sheesh.

Seems a big cry about nothing - wrongdoing would be the doing harm, not the collaborating.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Cooperating is bad, just ask the Knight ;)

My dislike of Wikipedia is due to the fact that 90% of it is taken up by descriptions of individual Pokemon (yet they bizarrely delete just about anything else for being too specific instead of included in one umbrella topic) and arguments over Aluminium/Aluminum, Adrenaline/Epinephrine and Israel/Occupied Area That Belongs to Palestine, Give it Back, Bitch.

Also, if you say "The human hand has five fingers", they'll add a little "Citation Needed", but at the same time it's okay to cite a source that either doesn't exist or is as reliable as Fox News.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Also if I'm a scientist I CANNOT make an account that says "i'm this scientist" and make edits corresponding to my newfound research to articles.

Also, every other goddamn article has an anime reference. Seriously, the articles for Bakelite and Ghosts had some final fantasy crap in them :disgusted:
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

I can understand the nerd rage about being betrayed by Wikipedia, but seriously, as long as Old Media can convince people that unions have completely died out I just can't get too worked up about it.