If you had an unlimited amount of power to rewrite the Const

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Re: If you had an unlimited amount of power to rewrite the C

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196124343[/unixtime]]Only an idiot votes Republican, anyhow.

The smart ones votes Conserative, because it sounds more intellectual. :tongue:

(Note to people not used to USA politics, we have a lot of copy cat parties. Generaly the "liberal" party endorses the democratic candidate, and the "conserative" party endorses the republican candidate. On the local level there can be a number of interesting exceptions. Politics at the local level can be interesting at times. At the national level it's all dummed down to the least common denominator.)

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1196158472[/unixtime]]Thats already beneficial. Hell, Bush keeps getting re-elected. Voluntary voting can't be super great.

What's this shit? Bush as far as I know only got re-elected once. And to be blunt he only got elected the first time because enough people voted against Gore.

In case anyone forgot, here is a short summary of the 2000 primary season. Alan Keys got screwed in the south because he was both black and Roman Catholic. (There are times I wish that if the South can't seceede from the Union could they just say the fuck out of the party of Lincon?) George Bush tried using lawyers to keep McCain from the New York primary. (Hello, I can count the number of republican presidential primaries I've seen in my entire voting life on one hand hand that bastard wants to eliminate one in a non embumbant year?)

The people didn't vote "for" Bush, they voted against Gore. Then Gore put up a hissy fit along with Bill and Hill (remember how they stole the china and removed all the "W" keys from the White House computers) and whined about it for for four whole years. So we voted for Bush to spite the sore loosers.

That's it. It ain't rocket science. You know it's time to well MOVE ON?
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196124343[/unixtime]]Only an idiot votes Republican, anyhow.

-Crissa

Only idiots vote solely on whether a candidate is republican or democrat.

In the last Senatorial/Gubernatorial election I voted for a republican senator(who lost) and a democrat governor(who won).
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The Republican system is broke. For years they had more money not just because they had corporate donors - but because they break the law regularly, at every level.

And the stupid story about the keyboards? It's false, of course.

Stupid people voted against Gore. Yes, stupid people. Stupid, easily manipulated people.

-Crissa
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

If it were anyone else but you I might bother to find my give-a-damn concerning the childish name calling, but probably not.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196201063[/unixtime]]Stupid people voted against Gore. Yes, stupid people. Stupid, easily manipulated people.

Well whatever. Easily manipulated people? I know a lot of them, but that's a completely different inconvient truth.

Heck as long as there is Hilliary the Republican party will have money. Good thing they can't spend it wisely to well get anyone elected. In New York we had several jokes recently. One campaigned against Hillary, what a joke he was. One campaigned for Governor, again another joke.

And you only have to look at New York to see what happens when egotistical Democrats take over. At least Bush has never (or if he has he hasn't been caught and he's too stupid not to get caught) been spying on the leaders of the legislature because they have the nerve to not kiss his ass whenever he proposes the most illegal legislaton.
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1196207881[/unixtime]]If it were anyone else but you I might bother to find my give-a-damn concerning the childish name calling, but probably not.

Good call - it's not worth the effort.

And by the way, I did something similar in my last election as well; voted for a Republican senator (who won) and a Democratic gubernatorial candidate. (who lost)
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

The Republican Party, as a whole, has generated less money than HRC has to date in this campaign.

Yes, that means she has corporate backing that the Republicans have lost. But it also means she has more small donors than they.

This will be the first Presidential election in which the Democrats have had a money advantage since the 1970s.

-Crissa
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Why would you vote for a Republican Senator?

Do you not believe we should leave Iraq, ever?

Do you not believe we should have health care for children?

A balanced budget in peace time?

Judges and Federal Attorneys that have experience and are not highly biased or bought?

-Crissa
power_word_wedgie
Master

Post by power_word_wedgie »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196214087[/unixtime]]Why would you vote for a Republican Senator?

I'll go out on a limb and speak for Calibron for this as well since I sure I'm understanding where they're coming from. (they can correct me if I am wrong) The reason why I voted for a Republican senator is the same reason why I voted for the Democratic governor; I like the person more and I liked his platform more than his opponent.

Yes, I understand, people love voting straight Democrat or Republican - that's why there's an option on most ballots where you can just punch the Democrat or Republican option and it automatically votes for all of the candidates of that party.

However, I still enjoy listening to local debates and doing research on the candidates, so I like to make my vote based on an informed decision instead of salivating once I see Democrat or Republican on a ballot. I know it is a rarity these days, but it is what I do. I'm thinking that is where Calibron is coming from as well.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Why would you vote for a Republican Senator?

Well I vote for "my" senator. My current senators are both Democratic. So the question would be why would a vote for a Republican for the Senate? Because he or she is smart and intelligent?

Yea, I know, smart and intelligent people don't run for the senate.

Do you not believe we should leave Iraq, ever?

I know one thing for sure. We should do something other than yell at each other!

Do you not believe we should have health care for children?

I am really mixed on this one. I'm willing to give it the doubt. Using a tax designed to discourage a behavior and thus if successfull produce less revenue is probably a stupid idea and that's the thing that annoys me the most.

A balanced budget in peace time?

Oh stop that, you're talking like a Real Republican.

Judges and Federal Attorneys that have experience and are not highly biased or bought?

I'd love them as well.

But really, what was the point about this exercide? Bush doesn't define the party anymore than Clinton did. In a year or so he will be out of office and just as annoying as Carter. You show me a Bush, I'll show you a Spitzer. There are bastards in every party, there are people who take the party's platform and practically push it across the convention hall to suit their own agenda. But they are in general temorary things. McCarthy is history, soon Bush will be.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Those are great answers.

But have nothing to do with the current Republican actions in congress.

Where did your Senator vote following his platform, and not Bush's? Not the Party? Where? Any vote?

You might think you can tit for tat, you can't. How is a single fucking newbie governor at all comparable to a half dozen speakers, whips, and a president all with stains on their record, including indictments.

-Crissa

PS: Democrats passed rules, you know - ones that require for every spending increase there is a similar increase in taxes. If that tax revenue declined - it wouldn't have any effect upon that specific increase it was passed with. Have some intelligence, please.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196253514[/unixtime]]Where did your Senator vote following his platform, and not Bush's? Not the Party? Where? Any vote?

Both my Senators (Hillary and Chuckie) are Democrats. My current Representative in the house (Tim Bishop) is also a Democrat.

I see bad apples on both parties. I see good apples in both parties, but not too many of them. I'm not in politics, but even in the organizations I am in I know how vile the pressure of false unity can be. People are forced to take actions that they are generally not really supportative of becuase of the argument of unity. People are attacked from crossing the isle and trying to reach an agreement that works. People would rather make grand stands that they know won't ever get passed either because the know it won't get passed in the other house, or because it would be vetoed and they can't get an override.

Republican/democrat? Frankly I don't care.
Do nothing/Do something? Yes I care.

Tim Bishop, by the way is to me a "Do something." He is running around all the time caring for local issues, helping local groups and everything. I'm 98% sure that I'm going to be voting for him again next year in 2008.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Wedgie was correct in his assumptions.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...And yet, no one with a Republican Senator can point to any actions done by said Senator that made voting for him somehow positive.

The Republican Party is nothing but scum, and you'd be better off with one of the other three parties represented in the Senate.

-Crissa
Neeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeek »

While I'd agree that, in general, the Republican Party is scum. and arguably a criminal conspiracy, based on some of their actions around recent elections, the real difference between them and the Dems is that the Dems will actually break party lines pretty regularly. The GOP, on the other hand, routinely levels threats at their own members to get them to toe the party line. Look up the phrase "The majority of the majority" if you want to get a better grasp of what I'm talking about.

As a side note, the current Senate session is 6 away from breaking the all-time record for number of filibustered bills (61). And they've still got over half their total time in session to go.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

All of you guys must take in that even the most simple of rules get reinterpreted and changed as peoples' lives, values, and other experiences change. And problems will arise out of rewriting the rules, too. If you had unlimited power, you would probably just rewrite the text to become more specific, in an attempt to make the Constitution to "work" in your view.
Eventually, with this unlimited power, you will begin to subconsciously assert your world-view over the laws and society. In essence, you will evolve into a tyrant, no matter how well your intentions are.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196290756[/unixtime]]

The Republican Party is nothing but scum, and you'd be better off with one of the other three parties represented in the Senate.

Can't argue with you there Crissa. The republican party sucks.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1196293776[/unixtime]]In essence, you will evolve into a tyrant, no matter how well your intentions are.

That would be the plan, yes.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1196290756[/unixtime]]...And yet, no one with a Republican Senator can point to any actions done by said Senator that made voting for him somehow positive.

I would like to say a good "so what" to that. I mean I can't think of any actions by either of my Senators on the Democratic side that made voting for them (actually I didn't vote for Hilliary but I knew it was a joke vote anyway since her opponent hadn't a snowball's chance on the sun of winning) that were somehow positive.

My guy in the House (also a Democrat) on the other hand I have a bunch of things off hand that I can cite from heling local veterans to trying to get the FAA to look into low flying helicopters shuttling people to the Hamptons over populated areas and so forth.

Frankly the Senate sucks. Ironically that's the purpose of the Senate. It's designed to not be as knee jerkable as the House. As a diret result anything positive that does come from there is more than often old news and generally forgotten.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

tzor, you didn't vote for them, so shush. The question was directed at someone with a Republican Senator they voted for.

If you can't point out something a candidate actually did in office that was worth voting for - then my point stands, and you're stupid to vote for them.

-Crissa
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1196328593[/unixtime]]
Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1196293776[/unixtime]]In essence, you will evolve into a tyrant, no matter how well your intentions are.

That would be the plan, yes.

But if you're like every other tin pot dictator, then what good are you?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Commentary on Republican YouTube Debate wrote:It was an interesting contrast �\ at Democratic debates, veterans get standing ovations. At Republican debates, veterans get booed.

Republicans, mirror.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1196381555[/unixtime]]
But if you're like every other tin pot dictator, then what good are you?

A tyrant is someone running a country who isn't elected or a monarch. Complete control of the constitution would qualify you as a tyrant. What you do with that is up to you.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Not that I want to nit pick, but that is more like corporate malfeasance than republican. Of couse it is through the approval of the Bush administration (which is not the same as the republican leadership especially in 2009 when he becomes a "former" with probably the same amount of respect Gerald Ford got from his party) but they are more of a willing rubber stamper than an actual planner.