Trying to flesh out a power from Exalted

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Trying to flesh out a power from Exalted

Post by Lago_AM3P »

In Exalted, one of the powers is called 'Principle of Motion', which is a fancy way of them saying that they can perform several activities simultaneously.

How would this work for a character in a written/comic medium? What ways could they abuse it? I keep thinking of something like them being able to perform (or rather layer) the action of 'punch' or 'run' several times simultaneously for punching really hard or running really fast. Stuff like that.

I dunno. Maybe the effects won't be what I think it is. Hence the point of this thread.
Manxome
Knight-Baron

Re: Trying to flesh out a power from Exalted

Post by Manxome »

Reminds me of something from Viewtiful Joe 2. Viewtiful Joe is a video game in which you play a superhero whose powers are derived from movie special effects (like "slow motion" and "zoom in"). A character in the second game has a "replay" power that, when active, causes any successful attack to occur 3 times instead of once (causing triple damage, and also incurring triple cost, if it has a cost).

From a literary standpoint, the idea of doing several things at once is probably more interesting if you do several different things at once than if you do the same thing lots of times to simply increase its effects. For example, if the character fires a gun and hits someone with it at the same time, or jumps and ducks at the same time, or something like that.
shirak
Knight

Re: Trying to flesh out a power from Exalted

Post by shirak »

Principle of Motion is abou doing things really fast. You don't punch any harder, it just takes less time to perform your punch. I usually describe it as moving-so-fast-you-leave-aftereffects-that-do-stuff. You might also say he blurs and stuff happens. You writing Exalted fanfic or something?