Dark Elves+Manga= What?!

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Re: Dark Elves+Manga= What?!

Post by CalibronXXX »

Megatokyo is apparently one of the more famous web comics, but I've never looked at it; anyone mind enlightening me concerning what it's about?
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

It's about two weeaboos who go to Japan. Then stuff happens. Don't bother reading it, as it is bad.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Thank you.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I've found myself liking Goblins lately. Don't know if it's popular or not, but I enjoy it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Goblins is great, i clearly think more of penny arcade than you do.. but see see eye to eye on megatokyo. Urgh.

But yeah if you are kinda bored, consider giving goblins a spin.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Right now there's a folder on my desktop with links to comics I'm keeping watch on, waiting and rechecking for new updates every few days.

It contains:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php[ ... /[br][br]I also skim the interbutt weekly for new Naruto, OnePiece, Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm and Bastard scanlations. Considering Bleach too, but... ehh...

Comics involving guys talking about video games incessantly don't entertain me. Like, ever. I've read Penny Arcade a year ago (all of it up to that time) but never looked back.
I'd rather just go play video games.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I rather like the Dark Elves, but think that she lets people prodding her change the plot too often. The story needs to explain itself, not to be railroaded by what is prim and proper. If the main character is a kid who goes all googly over an adult, that ought to exist.

I like the new art, too. The old art wasn't so good. But the prior story was better...

Goblins really requires you to start at the beginning and start to get involved with the characters - and then it's much better. Much much better. Same for Giant in the Playground battle of Gobwin Knob. Didn't like either until I spent some time reading the first in order, then I was hooked.

If a web comic can manage to fit enough of its story onto the pages, it can be as engaging as a novel.

-Crissa
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Crissa at [unixtime wrote:1195876210[/unixtime]]I rather like the Dark Elves, but think that she lets people prodding her change the plot too often. The story needs to explain itself, not to be railroaded by what is prim and proper. If the main character is a kid who goes all googly over an adult, that ought to exist.

Kern, the author, is a male.
The original tryst between Aeriel and the gladiator was available in the "Download Chapters" section, Chapter 4, before the revised Chapter 4 replaced it.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1195758393[/unixtime]]It's about two weeaboos who go to Japan. Then stuff happens. Don't bother reading it, as it is bad.

It's one weeaboo and one... drunk guy who has no interest in Japan. Despite the stuff he does, the "no interest in Japan" thing makes him the smarter of the two.

Other than that, Ceilingcat is right.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Look, the author uses a female avatar. Who am I to argue?

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And Fred (Megatokyo) uses an almost underweight pretty-boy avatar. Heck, Tycho (Penny Arcade) uses a non-bald avatar.

They can be very misleading.

That being said, I need to keep reminding myself Ceilingcat is not, in actual fact, a cat. So I can't blame you. When all you have to go by is an avatar and *maybe* their speech patterns and other minor cues...
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1195908980[/unixtime]]That being said, I need to keep reminding myself Ceilingcat is not, in actual fact, a cat.

Lies!
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1195908980[/unixtime]]And Fred (Megatokyo) uses an almost underweight pretty-boy avatar. Heck, Tycho (Penny Arcade) uses a non-bald avatar.

WHY AM I SO BALD?

That being said, I need to keep reminding myself Ceilingcat is not, in actual fact, a cat. So I can't blame you. When all you have to go by is an avatar and *maybe* their speech patterns and other minor cues...

How are you so sure of this?
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Ok, so possibly Ceilingcat IS a cat.

And yes, I'm aware of the "Why I am so bald?" meme.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I don't think I understand that meme.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1190640573[/unixtime]]Yeah, the fanservice comic there is pretty shitty. It was so shitty I couldn't even manage to get through it all. And I was reading it for the lulz.

Says the guy who got it for free.:tongue:
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1195949887[/unixtime]]Ok, so possibly Ceilingcat IS a cat.

Sure acts like one...
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Megatokyo actually starts out OK. The original series is not bad actually, and I personally beat Dom's ass in a shadowfist tournament so badly that I got mentioned on the site by name.

Eventually Fred fires his writer (Lago) and the strip peters out into pedophilia and angst. Nothing has been worth reading over there for over 2 years.

It's like if Gabe fired Tycho and just went off to draw the adventures of CTS being hit on by awkward teenage girls.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

From my understanding, Fred just asked Rodney if he could take over the project 100% and Rodney was okay with that, not a proper "You're fired!" But that's from his mouth.

Notice that the "Cast" section *still* says "I'll do this when I can be bothered", even though he managed to turn Megatokyo into his job? You know what happens to most people who can't be bothered doing an aspect of their job?

Anyway, I liked the start as well. I have it in book format, even, and Rodney's idea definitely made it cool.

I can't see Gabe taking control of P*A though, nor resorting to paedophilia/emo/Wapanese/slooooooow progress. He might draw a lot more penises, however.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

If you are after webcomics, there is a thread on Nifty here which has lists of webcomics, including mine on page 14.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1201879292[/unixtime]]Megatokyo actually starts out OK. The original series is not bad actually, and I personally beat Dom's ass in a shadowfist tournament so badly that I got mentioned on the site by name.

Eventually Fred fires his writer (Lago) and the strip peters out into pedophilia and angst. Nothing has been worth reading over there for over 2 years.

It's like if Gabe fired Tycho and just went off to draw the adventures of CTS being hit on by awkward teenage girls.

-Username17

Lago wrote for Megatokyo? Source please!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Different guy.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

But so, do you know what the heck's "Lago AM3P" supposed to mean? Might be a reference, I suppose.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Nope. Rodney Caston's insertion character was named "Largo."

-Des
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I guess Frank was just used to Lago?