Pondering...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Re: Pondering...

Post by Koumei »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1202240609[/unixtime]]It's the only place in Europe where you can get the services of prostitutes for turnips

Hey, it's the turnip economy!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1202370209[/unixtime]]
FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1202240609[/unixtime]]It's the only place in Europe where you can get the services of prostitutes for turnips

Hey, it's the turnip economy!

That was his probably his intent :roundnround:

Turnips suck.. I'd gladly trade a truck load for some Romanian kids, much like the 'living furniture' in Soylent Green.
If... uh... I could do such a thing.
My girlfriend would beat me if I tried, though. She's against selfishly evil acts.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

When I was a child growing up we had three things for Thanksgiving; mashed potatoes (that white stuff), mashed sweet potatoes (that orange stuff) and the stuff that looked like it was a combination of the two (that was the mashed turnips).
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

No turkey?
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

I didn't say "only." :tonguesmile:

I just mentioned the mashed trinity.
I didn't mention
The turkey
The ham (for those who didn't like the turkey)
The in bird stuffing
The stove made stuffing
The canned cranberry
The homemade cranberry
The rolls
The little tiny creamed onions
The string beans
The carrots
(Am I forgetting anyone?)

Oh yea ... dessert, but that's another four pages of stuff.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I actually made a pretty good "stuffing" with turnips one day (Stuffing as in the-stuff-you-cook-inside-poultry, not Stove Top). I don't know that mashed would be anything I'd flip over.

I've never really enjoyed the traditional Thanksgiving meal (growing up we ate Italian food, not turkey), so Ess and I decided that we'd rather cook a meal we're really grateful for - foods that we don't normally get to eat. So last year's menu request was lamb and scallops, with a really great organic green salad, green beans, a wild rice side dishy thing, and homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Until November '06, I never had actually had turkey for Thanksgiving. My family had always made sweet goose (That's goose stuffed with apples and prunes).

-Desdan
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

We made that one year. And duck orange another. And mole turkey and portobellos yet another.

This year we had two turkeys, but our usual crowd of locusts didn't finish off the first one. So we split it in half and hot smoked part and dutch oven/slow cooked the other. Mmm.

-Crissa
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1202525014[/unixtime]]I actually made a pretty good "stuffing" with turnips one day (Stuffing as in the-stuff-you-cook-inside-poultry, not Stove Top).

Hey, a Turkey is only so big, so any extra left over stuffing has to go to the stove top. I mean if you can't fight for the good stuff you deserve the overflow.

Oh wait, you meant the brand name. No, honestly, we make so much stuffing at thanksgiving that what doesn't go in the bird goes in the pan with the drippings over it for consolation.

I haven't had a goose in years. I've had plenty of duck in the past year, however.

I still want to try that old ideal Maden once had during a Thanksgiving Football Game; the Turducken, a Chicken Stuffed Duck Stuffed Turkey.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I don't like stuffing, because I categorically refuse to eat anything that comes out of an animal's butt.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1202757658[/unixtime]]I don't like stuffing, because I categorically refuse to eat anything that comes out of an animal's butt.

From a Dilbert strip about hamburgers: What do you think they do with the cow's butt? Do they just throw that part away?
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

tzor wrote:we make so much stuffing at thanksgiving that what doesn't go in the bird goes in the pan with the drippings over it for consolation.

Check. I never cook extra stuffing on the stove. I cook it with the drippings in the oven.

;)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

tzor at [unixtime wrote:1202754942[/unixtime]]I still want to try that old ideal Maden once had during a Thanksgiving Football Game; the Turducken, a Chicken Stuffed Duck Stuffed Turkey.

"It's the closest we may ever get to eating a gryphon!"

Yeah, I want to try a turducken sometime too... maybe if my girlfriend and I are moved out this year and on our own for thanksgiving I'll give it a shot... would you put actual stuffing inside that too?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1202770961[/unixtime]]
Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1202757658[/unixtime]]I don't like stuffing, because I categorically refuse to eat anything that comes out of an animal's butt.

From a Dilbert strip about hamburgers: What do you think they do with the cow's butt? Do they just throw that part away?

I'll eat the butt itself as long as it's been properly cleaned, just not what comes out of it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

To return on an earlier subject: What are the effects of LSD? Both short-term and long-term. And I'd love a comparison to what the crazies say are the effects (I'd like that because the best thing Greece has to say about LSD is "it's bad for you". i need me some crazy)

And for all those with allergies. I was allergic to nicotine. In a country with over 50% of the population smoking, including my mother and best friend. You people had it easy :tongue:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Well, a simple google search gets us deoxy.com which has many of the so-called crazies talking about it; and of course wikipedia is actually a good source for scientific info.

Bicycle Ride is the most famous (and first) such 'trip' ever:
[FLASH=425,373,false,#ffffff]http://www.youtube.com/v/QaG0R2EjFgs&rel=0&border=[/FLASH]

Technically, what happens with LSD and chemically similar hallucinogens is that the control in your brain for pathways - that's neuron that fire simultaneously - is broken down. That means that free association, that property of thought where memories are stored by similarity, becomes rampant in the conscious mind.

To an outside observer, there's very little difference between someone tripping and someone not. They may be slightly distracted, slow to response, or highly, overly responsive. The latter is less common. To someone taking the drug, in low doses, it's as if their mind wanders, and they can see imaginary things overlaid upon their normal sensory data. Conscious thought and recall is normal, and they can tell danger from non, and generally become more careful, and insightful because the open association which is happening in their brain. Observation of time and sequence, however, is poor. It's nearly impossible to get someone who is normally reasonable and only on LSD to do anything dangerous - in fact, they'll not do hazardous things they would normally attempt.

It really does increase learning ability, however, what you learn may not be what you want to learn... And ability to tell how well one is performing at a task, and ability to perform physical tasks, becomes very poor. IE, it's hard to take notes anyone else can understand. They will look like scribbles.

However, since it does open those pathways, it permanently changes your bring - like any experience - and afterwards they can recall with near perfect clarity, the associations or hallucinations they had. Especially if they had notes. They will generally remember the sequence correctly, however their impressions of time will be greatly exaggerated - time doesn't fly for their perception.

The main problem with LSD is that is was used by a culture that was opposed to capitalism, opposed to the current set of churches and religion, and therefore highly frowned upon by those in power at the time.

I don't know of any studies showing negative or deadly responses to the drug, except in animal trials - cats, for instance, apparently experience very poor trips on very low doses, while some other animals seem unaffected. The intense memories which can be created by such activity produces erratic behavior in animals, but reasonable responses in humans, no different than seeing a scary movie while you're very young. If there are such studies, I'd think them very important.

Other drugs I can speak less about, as I've only watched people consume a handful of different, usually high vetted, drugs.

-Crissa