Report Bugs Here!

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Usually, seeing as how I access this site from at least four different computers.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I also do not have that problem. I access Nifty and the Den from both work and home, and what I've read is always synced up correctly.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Seems like every now and then for 12 hours at a time, the site stops sending me the files I ask for and instead starts sending me 0-byte contentless files when I try to access it.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Indeed.

We've opened a support ticket for the issue, to try to get to the root cause of the problem. It's really fucking annoying. If I hear anything, I'll post an update.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Nifty and TGD were both down for 12-16 hours or so.

Game On,
fbmf
Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

I'm repeatedly getting this error when trying to open threads:

500 Server Error

FastCGI Handler Extension
Error 0x80070102 occurred processing request.

The FastCGI process exceeded configured activity timeout.

Refreshing often helps in getting to the target page despite it. Sometimes trying later is required though. It appears before the metadirect intermediary page gets displayed.
Last edited by Sma on Mon May 26, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I've been getting the same thing, mostly been ignoring it though, since it only takes one or two reloads to fix.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

sometimes takes me many reloads - then I give up for a while and try later, assuming that the server is down, or something
neilhuiz
1st Level

Post by neilhuiz »

I have an open service ticket for the FastCGI issue. I'm leaning on the host as much as I can to get this resolved permanently. Please bear with me while I threaten them to the best of my ability.

The same issue has been affecting Nifty off-and-on for the past 48 hours or so, so it's getting the attention is deserves from my end.

Latest message to hosting company:
neilhuiz wrote: Our site seems to be back online now, shortly after the error message changed to "Service Unavailable" for a little while. Thank you for resolving the problem. Your work in this area is appreciated.

Could someone please fill us in on what the problem was? Perhaps a little transparency would go a long way in this matter. We are currently hosting several domains with several thousand regular users between them. We cannot just throw our hands up in dismay, we need something to tell our users. Your lack of information has made us look _very_ irresponsible and/or incompetent to several whole online communities.
A response!
worthless_tech_rep wrote:Greetings,
We had recently enabled some PHP modules and apparently these were the cause of the problems you experienced.
Really!? That's f-ing brilliant!
Last edited by neilhuiz on Tue May 27, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Neil

Code: Select all

int getRandomInt() { 
    return 4; // obtained using roll of fair die 
              // guaranteed to be random 
}
Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

Thank you for sorting it out.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Yes thank you for the effort Neil.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Okay thread breakage demonstrated in the nWoD post is caused by unatched quote tags in posts.

A fix is to enforce the matching of all tags in the post with some sort of input validation. so each close needs to be matched by an open etc.
Last edited by cthulhu on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

cthulhu wrote:Okay thread breakage demonstrated in the nWoD post is caused by unatched quote tags in posts.

A fix is to enforce the matching of all tags in the post with some sort of input validation. so each close needs to be matched by an open etc.
Just to clarify what you mean here... do you mean when somebody puts a quote tag in a thread but doesn't have a /quote to close it?
You can't fix stupid.

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Yup. Sorry not to be clear. You can fairly easily reproduce it.

Start a new thread with a post with something in it.

Then follow up with

Some text
[quote]

Some more text.
Then the formating breaks. And if you follow that up with a post with

Some text

[/quote]

Some more text

It fixes itself. You can see it in the test thread I've posted in this forum.

It appears to happens with quote tags too, it correctly doesn't do anything with non matching

tags, while it just applies italics to the entire post and nothing else.
Last edited by cthulhu on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Okay, any rogue quote tags, either [quote] or [/quote] Completely break the forum.

cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Suggested fix:

As either the open or closing tags break the forum if not part of a pair, I suggest you either need to

A) Strip out unmatched pairs of quote tags

B) disable unmatched pairs of quote tags similar to what happens if I add a random

with no matching /code

C) Add opening or closing tags as required to the start or end of the post respectively.

B is clearly the optimal solution, but any would work .
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Yeah, if you open with a Quote tag, someone can close it, but if you throw in a /Quote tag, there's nothing anyone can do in later posts to fix it. Someone who posted earlier in the thread would have to edit a Quote tag into their post.
Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

The FastCGI Handler Extension timeouts are back with a vengeance.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

...and I think I somehow caused the "Problems with big characters" thread (or whatever it was actually called) to vanish.

I posted. Error. I tried again. Error. I checked and found it had indeed posted, both times. I try deleting one. Error. I check... no thread.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Argh, it just told me there were new posts in threads that I'd replied to.

...Yeah, new posts by me.

WTF, man.

-Crissa
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Sma wrote:The FastCGI Handler Extension timeouts are back with a vengeance.
Yeah, Nifty's seeing an increase in them too, unfortunately.
You can't fix stupid.

Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

I'm aware of the problem that started occurring recently with pages of long threads timing out. I'm looking into the cause of the problem and I'll update when I know an answer.
You can't fix stupid.

Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

I just stop the page before it finishes loading and it works just fine.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Yep. That's the work-around in the meantime. We're still trying to track down the cause.
You can't fix stupid.

Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

Only happens when I open multiple tabs at once.

Reloading (or simply loading) a single page always works atm.

Trying to go to the third page of this very topic gives a "No posts exist for this topic"

Ta for keeping an eye out, though.