Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Post by K »

Kaelik wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Yeah, because fuck playing by the same rules as the human . .
Honestly, my home super Spacesport for construction in my most advanced game has, with an Admiral attached, a 85% maintenance cost reduction for all ships. I could see Fallen Empires (who never build more ships, and never build new structures, and never colonize new planets) having a kickass fleet that exactly counters their resources, so that they can maintain as long as they don't launch and or expand, even if that probably isn't what actually happens.

But my point was merely the idea that you only get attacked by a single 21k stack is ridiculous, because I was attacked by one at every single planet I owned within their "border dispute" and that Empire was literally less than a fourth the size of this one.
They bug out if you kill a stack and don't seem to combine stacks or send them together, so it's a lot like fighting one stack.

After I killed the first one, I couldn't get them to stand and face me. Eventually had to White Peace because the Unbidden are no joke.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Kaelik
Also, how do you get a super spaceport and attach an admiral to it?
I thought you could only attach admirals to fleets?
And what, exactly, did you stack together to get 85% maintenance reduction? x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Stahlseele wrote:@Kaelik
Also, how do you get a super spaceport and attach an admiral to it?
I thought you could only attach admirals to fleets?
And what, exactly, did you stack together to get 85% maintenance reduction? x.x
You attach the admiral to the Fleet, and then the Fleet to the Spaceport. I mean, technically the admiral is not attached to the spaceport, but his modifier applies to the entire fleet so it's basically the same thing.

-20% Ship Upkeep from government.
Doctrine: Command Matrix is another -10%.
Crew Quarters is Ship Upkeep: -20.0% when they are Orbiting.
Engineering Bay is Ship Upkeep: -10.0% for things built at that spaceport.
-15% Fleet Logistican from the Admiral
-10% From a Ruler with Logistical Understanding.

Totals to 85%. I think I actually only have like 75% because I had the Military government with no elections instead. And I'm not sure how this works with the already like 50% reduction just fro being orbiting in the first place, but you can get it pretty high, as long as they are docked.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, neat O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Stahlseele wrote:Ah, neat O.o
It sounds really cool in concept, until you launch for combat, and your Energy and Materials both go into the Red :(

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i have that problem anyway <.<
i just hope to get it over with one way or the other before it reaches 0.
also, my fortress stations take up 13 energy credits maintenance each per whatever time unit x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Fortress stations for the most part seem really shitty. Like, if you are right up at your Naval Capacity Cap maybe, but they cost more maintenance than the same strength in Battleships, and they can't move.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

but they also come with stuff like delaying FTL charge times, reducing opponent shields values, reducing opponent fire rates, repairing allies, minefields and decreasing in-system engine speed.

also, my fortress class station is, by itself, about 4 to 5k in fleet combat str.
so if i find a similar str fleet i try and kite it towards one and then defeat it there.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Kaelik wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Ah, neat O.o
It sounds really cool in concept, until you launch for combat, and your Energy and Materials both go into the Red :(
I think the concept is workable. When launching the fleets I usually go into -50-100 credits, but reserves usually last through the war. And if they don't, then AI is always willing to buy my worthless terraforming resources at about 500 credits per unit.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:but they also come with stuff like delaying FTL charge times, reducing opponent shields values, reducing opponent fire rates, repairing allies, minefields and decreasing in-system engine speed.

also, my fortress class station is, by itself, about 4 to 5k in fleet combat str.
so if i find a similar str fleet i try and kite it towards one and then defeat it there.
Meh. Having a defensive war is doing it wrong.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The biggest thing the fortress stations do for me is the FTL inhibitor. Any incoming hostile fleet comes out of FTL directly on top of the fortress. It can be pretty handy for forcing fleet engagements on your terms.

My experience with the Fallen Empires is that if you aren't assaulting their systems they'll throw their entire fleet at your home system without particular coordination, but I imagine it's different for territory wars.

As for a strategy of deliberately luring them in and then using that for a tech boost, if you declare war on them and then white peace or surrender they murder your faction leader. I'm not kidding. Not generally a big deal; faction leaders are pretty expendable.

I do the same maintance dockyard thing; you go significantly into the red when you mobilize but it's possible to build up deep reserves in advance and keep the fleet in the field for several years, or swing by your friends and trade minerals and various diplomatic deals for lump sums.
Last edited by name_here on Thu May 26, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

any of you ever manage to get max energy storage above 5k?
i get minerals up to abive 20k, but energy seems to be stuck.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

No, but I think at least once I've had it at 5K and passed up a tech that would boost it higher.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Stahlseele wrote:but they also come with stuff like delaying FTL charge times, reducing opponent shields values, reducing opponent fire rates, repairing allies, minefields and decreasing in-system engine speed.

I'm saying that instead of having a base and a fleet you could have had two 10k fleets for the same maintenance cost. Also, you can get all those extra effects on your battleships except mines.

I've never gotten above 5k/20k, even though I should definitely be higher than 20k.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu May 26, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i can? O.o
good to know.
and yes, you can get above 20k minerals, it gets really tedious to do so though, because you can not leave planets for sector auto control for that. because you need to upgrade buildings and build mineral storage silos for that.
and then keep upgrading if possible. but this does not work for energy credits somehow <.<
easiest way to get a BIG income boost is to go to empire/sector management and set tithe from 50% to 75%.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu May 26, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, the battleships can mount auras too, though they're not as good. The biggest one is that the FTL inhibitor one doesn't divert incoming jumps directly into the fleet, which I personally consider the primary justification for the defense stations. I drop them on hyperlane junctions, in valuable systems away from my difficult-to-replace space stations, and on contested borders. Unsupported they eat light raiding fleets or reinforcements, and they let your main battlefleet camp the arrival point of incoming forces. Also, warp and wormhole ships need to be at the edge of the system to do a non-emergency jump, so placing a station directly over the sun can keep them stuck in-system for a while.

Mostly they're not really intended to be a serious defensive measure unsupported, but you can get a pretty major tactical advantage from having them.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, i usually place them either on the lanes, on the sun or close to the inhabited planet and its space port for added protection.
Also, i think i should start converting systems with 2 space ports into naval bases . .
one spaceport built and maxed entirely for building the most awesome ships, so with the forge thing for more armor, the naval academy, the engineering bay and the navigators thing and then move them over one planet into a space port made only for maximising the reduction of upkeep cost.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu May 26, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Crew Quarters is the only module I've seen that reduces upkeep cost; there's a free -25% reduction for any spaceport and it's reduced by admiral skill and the logistician trait. Hence me usually just having one fleet base so I only need one admiral. Also, building more crew quarters cuts down on the number of space stations with every slot devoted to building better warships/building them faster, which can be a problem when you want to rebuild losses quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

In addition to resources being obscenely rare, the only ones I even give a crap about are the energy damage one and the shield one. I guess if I found the resource, I'd build the Hull points one.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

name_here wrote:Crew Quarters is the only module I've seen that reduces upkeep cost; there's a free -25% reduction for any spaceport and it's reduced by admiral skill and the logistician trait. Hence me usually just having one fleet base so I only need one admiral. Also, building more crew quarters cuts down on the number of space stations with every slot devoted to building better warships/building them faster, which can be a problem when you want to rebuild losses quickly.
Oh it's flat 25%? Hmmmm.... Does that mean my ships have no mainenance cost when sitting at the super base? Maybe my ruler died and I lost my 10% reduction from that :(

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

But the engineering bay also says it reduces upkeep right? O.o
Yeah, -10% it says on the wiki.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Ships built in a shipyard with an engineering bay have a permanent -10% upkeep reduction rather than an "in orbit" reduction.

I think an 85% reduction is with the spaceport base savings.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Aaah, capito . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

name_here wrote:Ships built in a shipyard with an engineering bay have a permanent -10% upkeep reduction rather than an "in orbit" reduction.

I think an 85% reduction is with the spaceport base savings.
As I showed from the math, you can get 85% without the Base number.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote: