Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I realized I downloaded Dark Souls for free a while back. Maybe it's time I finally "git gud" and give it a try...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Quick break from Messiah-Onna-Stick celebrations to mention that War for the Overworld is out on Steam. As the spiritual successor to the Dungeon Keeper games (as in, it totally is a modernised Dungeon Keeper with any serial numbers filed off, even keeping the tone as well as making you a former dungeon underlord who has lost his power and knowledge), it is amazing.

Currently has a fairly slow loading time, but the game runs smoothly enough so I imagine the loading times will be ironed out over time, and even if not, it doesn't interfere with the actual gameplay. Loads of fun, and all those little moments that make you chuckle.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

War for the Overworld is reaaaaaally raw right now. They have placeholders in the tooltips, and that's just inexcusable.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Dragon's Dogma Online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvZb2sQ2C3c

Had a lot of fun with Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen so looking forward to it
K
King

Post by K »

Chamomile wrote:Just got finished playing Bastion, finally. Can't say anything that hasn't been said before, but it lives up to the hype.
Yeh, pretty fine game. Transister, the next game they made, is also pretty neat.
Last edited by K on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Transistor is amazing and the music is just fantastic.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

OgreBattle wrote:Dragon's Dogma Online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvZb2sQ2C3c

Had a lot of fun with Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen so looking forward to it
I remember early in the game running back to town with my little torch in the dead of night before running smack dab into the face of a Chimera. Good times.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Wait does that mean they will stop forcing Dragon's Dogma to be a console only shitburger game?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Kaelik wrote:Wait does that mean they will stop forcing Dragon's Dogma to be a console only shitburger game?
Good news: Yes. And even free-to-play.
Bad news: They don't plan to release it to the west.

Kinda of a shame, like Phantasy Star Online 2, which is a really good MMO and had a lot of sucess in Asia for the last years, but Sega keeps delaying a western release because reasons, and even go out of their way to make it really hard for foreigners to connect. It's like they don't want more money (similarly to most other free-to-play, PSO2 has a bunch of paid extras, but still quite enjoyable if you don't spend a dime).

Also only noticed now that you changed your avatar.
Last edited by maglag on Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

SQUENIX RELEASED DRAGON QUEST HEROES IN THE STATES!

I need to get a PS4, STAT!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Shrapnel wrote:SQUENIX RELEASED DRAGON QUEST HEROES IN THE STATES!

It's not released yet, but this is just one more reason for me to get a PS4. There others: Disgaea 5, Street Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, Guilty Gear Xrd, Mortal Kombat X, Bloodborne, Persona 5, and maybe Metal Gear 5.
Last edited by Leress on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Lots of 5's to look forward to
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Disgaea 5 is currently the only reason I have to buy a PS4 so far. I imagine it will be quite a while before I buy one.

My current formula is this:
A console itself is worthless, I will accept one for free.
For every awesome must-have game, I'll raise the "price I'm willing to pay" by $100 (on top of whatever the game ends up costing), and for every pretty decent game that I'd likely end up getting if I did have the console, I'll raise it by $50.

So over time, the cost of the console goes down, and the price I'm willing to pay presumably rises. At some point, these two numbers meet, at which point I'll get it (if I have the disposable income for it).

So currently I'd buy a PS4 for a hundred bucks. Currently I would accept an X-Bone or Wii-U for free. And yes, "having a computer" is worth thousands by that metric, on top of "being able to easily access the Internet".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Leress wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:SQUENIX RELEASED DRAGON QUEST HEROES IN THE STATES!

It's not released yet, but this is just one more reason for me to get a PS4. There others: Disgaea 5, Street Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, Guilty Gear Xrd, Mortal Kombat X, Bloodborne, Persona 5, and maybe Metal Gear 5.
Alright, will release.

Honestly, DQ Heroes is the only game I want for the PS4, and I am perfectly willing to buy the console solely for that reason.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Also the upcoming Fallout 4, which I assume will be coming out on PS4 and Xbone. I think I'd be sold on the system just for that and DQ heroes. Combined with the fact that I'd at least consider buying a few of the titles Leress listed, I'm getting a PS4.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I wait until a new Tales game is announced/released before I start seriously looking at a new console, personally. It's the only game series that consistently performs above-par and is enjoyable to replay.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Geeze, at this rate I'm going to have to get one.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

So, anyone else playing the new season of Diablo 3? I always play pet classes, so I am trying a barbarian. She's based around fire skills and generating (but not spending) rage. So far I kick ass.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Barbie is about the only class I haven't really looked into so far, due to them being melee combatants that are relatively slow-moving. I have enough of that with the Crusader (who can at least ride a horsey). I'll do Barbie in non-seasonal so I can start by slapping 20 Paragon points into move speed.

I have dipped my toe into the new season, with a Monk, but my PC overheated and shut down. With a cooling pad. And the fan on. Seeing as heat and electricity are both just energy, people need to look into finding a way to just convert the former into the latter, I'm pretty sure my laptop could then charge its own battery.

Anyway, as the weather gets colder I'll probably play more.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

I started a new character for the new season, then realized the amount of work I had in front of me and went back to my pet doc. I have 5 pieces of the Zuni set right now and have cleared Greater rift 30.
Last edited by shau on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I have three pieces of Zuni and I'm only wearing the mask. Taking a break from my doc for now because I wanted to try something new but I'm waiting for another piece and that ring that counts as a piece of every set you have. I haven't played around with greater rifts much, but my witch doc is comfortable farming t4 at the moment, while my barb is t2.

When I get enough Zunis to hit the 4 or 6 point threshold I'll probably start wearing it, as the reward for 2 isn't useful to my build (I use Fetish Sycophants and not Fetish Army, the 3 piece ability only affects Fetish Army). The 4 and 6 piece bonuses are neat though.

EDIT:

If anyone cares:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/w ... WRV!baYbaY

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/b ... XVj!cbcccZ

Copy and past those links because the board doesn't like them and I can't find a way to use tags in a way that doesn't break my post...

I have an endgame plan to gear up my barb but my witch doc has just been wearing whatever she pics up that looks better than what I have (although right now I'm wearing multiple sets that give bonus EXP, I could double my DPS if I got that blasted ring and dropped one from each set with something good...)
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
crasskris
Journeyman

Post by crasskris »

So, Son of Nor. Indie title. You play as a Son (or Daughter) of Nor, a sort of priest-mage-paladin defending the last pocket of humanity against evil lizardmen. And by priest-mage-paladin I mean earthbender (seriously, the children of Nor even have a widespread aversion to footwear).

To fight and solve puzzles you have telekinesis (think Half Life gravity gun, but with jumping on the levitated pieces) and terraforming (raising and lowering ground in realtime, but only with specific (but common) kind of ground). Later you gain spells that extend your telekinesis to flames, wind, and spirit essence.

You use these abilities to fight as well as solve puzzles, although the fights can be clunky and a little bit hectic. On the other hand you are given enough freeform power that improvisation and quick thinking are rewarded, and both enemies and puzzles have been designed to interact meaningfully with your powers.

Graphics and animations are meh (at the level of 2005, although an argument can be made for 2007). Voice work is by comparison surprisingly good.
Gameplay is obviously the focus, although it still feels unpolished (but can be quite fun). Coop multiplayer is available (and, going by comments, enjoyable). Some gaming gadgets (oculus rift, eye tracking hardware, brainscan hardware) are explicitly supported. No clue how well they work, though.

It's out since the beginning of the month, and in the meantime some serious patching took place. I bought it about a week and a half ago, and noticed several non-trivial improvements made during that time, although I didn't regret the investment from the start (disclaimer: commited earthbender fanboy).

It's about 20 [enter local currency here] at Steam, and is scheduled to hit GOG once the developers figure out how to offer multiplayer without the APIs and infrastructure Valve provides.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@#PCMasterrace
So, GTA V dropped.
And it is pretty damn good and of course, we get much better graphics (FHD+ at 60FPS+) than the console peasants who got the game almost a year before us . . but we also get something that we don't want and that console lusers usually do not have to worry about:
Problems!
1.) If your windumb lusername has a special character in it (umlaut ÄäÖöÜüß or something else that is not a-z A-Z 1-0, it simply won't install properly.

2.) nVidia and AMD both got new drivers out for this game and the first thing the game did for me was to crash the display driver, which crashed the game itself and made me lose about 45 minutes of progress i had made . .

But they included all the Graphics Settings and proper mouse and keyboard support and of course proper 1st Person perspective (which i use exclusively outside of vehicles, because fuck driving in 1st person and if you can master it, i salute you!)

Combat is surprisingly hard and very lethal very early on.
And there are alway instant fail conditions in the missions.
Mainly the player character ending up dead, but letting somebody get away on a chase or being cought by the popo or failing to stealth properly. can also be instant cut-scene fail.

I have found that i have very big problems actually utilizing the weapons, because the crosshair is TINY as fuck and gets lost in the background clutter . . The enemy AI, while not that smart, makes use of cover and concealment actually, which makes finding the bastard shooting you with an AR again and again a bit hard in cluttered areas . . and most areas are cluttered, dear god the level of detail (meaning stuff put in, not detail on stuff) is insane compared to most other games out there right now . .

And either i just haven't found out how to yet, or you do not get the little achievements or rewards you get on console for things like headshots and driving really recklessly really close to other participants in the traffic.

Police-Presence is seemingly a bit scarcer than what i have seen in youtube videos of the console versions, but that might be due to some difficulty setting i have not found yet as well . .

The asking price is fucking insane at 50 to 60€ or your regional equivalent currence on steam . .
And then you have a 60+GB Download to do and THEN you need to create a rockstar social club account to play the game . .
But if you buy the boxed copy, you get much in it. A foldable map of the Los Santos area . . and 7 DVD's, because fuck Blu-Ray right guys?

And now my biggest complaint:
FUCKERS RELEASED IT AT 1 IN THE MORNING ON A FUCKING TUESDAY!
Because lol fuck people like me who have to go to fucking work! -.-
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »