Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:
Whipstitch wrote:Video game pick pocketing can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned. It's always felt to me like busywork for save scummers and the ocd set.
It can fuck off, but it's not busywork or for save scummers (at least not in Divinity). In the game we're talking about it's incredibly quick and easy to do. Have someone in your party chat up a vendor, walk behind them, stealth, then steal their shit (the value of the shit you steal is limited by your thievery skill in an effort to make it not broken).
Roleplaying evil character, eh?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Nah, that is standard gain maximization . .
Even when playing the paladin of the wastes, you still steal everthing that is not taped to the inside of somebody elses pockets in Fallout.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:Nah, that is standard gain maximization . .
Even when playing the paladin of the wastes, you still steal everthing that is not taped to the inside of somebody elses pockets in Fallout.
Just because the game doesn't judge you doesn't mean I won't ;)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Longes wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Nah, that is standard gain maximization . .
Just because the game doesn't judge you doesn't mean I won't ;)
That makes you a bad person.
Judge ye not lest ye be judged! :P ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

One thing that I always forget to do when playing Fallout 4 is to pickpocket the power cells from enemies wearing power armour.

Supposedly doing so forces them to pop out of the exo-frame; allowing it to be taken to one of your settlements for a settler to wear. Not doing so, results in a exo-frame which you can take the armour components and power cell from, but you can't force the dead character out of their 'frame.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Longes wrote:
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:
Whipstitch wrote:Video game pick pocketing can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned. It's always felt to me like busywork for save scummers and the ocd set.
It can fuck off, but it's not busywork or for save scummers (at least not in Divinity). In the game we're talking about it's incredibly quick and easy to do. Have someone in your party chat up a vendor, walk behind them, stealth, then steal their shit (the value of the shit you steal is limited by your thievery skill in an effort to make it not broken).
Roleplaying evil character, eh?
Stealing armor and weapons so I can literally save the world is not evil. I'm going to steal sweet weapons to kill things that eat people alive, even if it means violating the NAP.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Endless Space 2 Free To Play Weekend on Steam.
Dear god that game is both bloody gorgous and bloody complicated x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

K
King

Post by K »

Stahlseele wrote:Endless Space 2 Free To Play Weekend on Steam.
Dear god that game is both bloody gorgous and bloody complicated x.x
It's very weird for me that Endless Space 2 is a game that looks as good as the 5 million dollar cut-scenes of my youth.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yeah, if only more games looked that good ._.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I've been playing some Genesis RPGs for the first time. Phantasy Star 2 hates me, there's no other explanation for it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Don't take it personally, PS2 hates everybody. In Algol, you are all equally worthless.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

The way Pirate lairs are implemented in Endless Space 2 seems pretty dumb. I expanded a couple systems over and then by turn 6 I had 2 more pirate lairs between me and the next habitable system, which is pretty obnoxious when you're playing the Unfallen.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=701
Ooh!
My!
Fucking!
Godemperor!
YES PLEASE!
A 4X Game in the WH40K Universe?
HOOK ME UP BATTLEBROTHAS
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Eh. Not Slitherine's first 40k game. Armageddon was dogshit, and Sanctus reach wasn't much better.

4x tech trees seems like missing the point of the setting, and from the screen shots, Civ style units where a unit of 5 marines or guardsmen bounce off each other while a Whirlwind tank bombards a city tile is... less than compelling.

from those screenshots I don't see any way of balancing those four factions while making them feel authentic.

Also their color palette sucks ass. Image 4 (guard vs necrons), took me several looks to realize how many units are hiding and blending into the Overwhelming Brown.
Last edited by Voss on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Well, they also did Pandora: First Contact < = which is basically what Civilization: Beyond Earth should have been. Pretty damn brutal and snarky.
So, if they combine those elements, it might be worth a look see when it is done.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

ATOM RPG
http://store.steampowered.com/app/552620/
Early Access, looks like Fallout 2.5 to me somehow.
It's cheapish at 15 bucks.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I've downgraded my opinion of Endless Space 2's space pirates from "seems dumb" to "Turn the fuckers off because they only hurt the game." Pirate systems are too well populated to reward people for building early military yet too easily gamed to be a threat to a human player that understands their spawning rules. So the first experimental game or two I played I found pirates to be pretty annoying because I was too ambitious in trying to cherry pick attractive systems and would end up with lairs spawning in awkward places and pirate fleets wandering around in my systems. But once I noticed that pirate lairs won't spawn adjacent to colonies I started using the first ring of worlds around my home system as a buffer zone and plopped down my outposts one spot further out secure in the knowledge that I could then fill in the middle at my leisure. Between that and the fact that pirates can't spawn in asteroid belts I'm now able to consistently expand in such a way that I have unsullied interior lanes for every outpost I plant while my nearest AI neighbor gets their teeth kicked in by rampaging pirate fleets because they didn't expand in ridiculous checkerboard patterns and that first wave or two of randomly generated lairs apparently has to spawn somewhere.
bears fall, everyone dies
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8WoNTHMoLc&t=324s
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries: 10 Minutes of NEW GAMEPLAY

So . . carefull optimism maybe?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Maybe. It needs a lot of work and tuning.
The HUD inside the mech shouldn't be getting motion blur from the thing turning, and the weapons frankly suck ass.

Watching a moron in a Shadowhawk get hammered by wandering into increasingly spawning groups of enemies and somehow survive getting pounded for 10 minutes is disturbing. With the way he's walking past enemies and into shots, he should have been destroyed in a about 30 seconds, particularly with the sheer amount of enemies.

In addition to doing crap for damage, the weapons had little impact and sounded like ass, and the fucking computer wouldn't shut up. Even falling off buildings barely caused a hitch in the mech's movement.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I noticed that the targeting reticle stayed centered, suggesting that there aren't seperate controls for arm and torso movement.

A mechwarrior game needs arm movement independent of torso rotation.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

'This should be based on the MWO stuff, and as far as i remember from THAT particular pile of crap, there should be separate arms and torso mounted weapon reticules . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

hyzmarca wrote:I noticed that the targeting reticle stayed centered, suggesting that there aren't seperate controls for arm and torso movement.
Nothing really moves.

The right arm laser fires from the same point every time, blazing off a weird angles depending on where the enemy is, the enemy mech legs pump the same regardless of terrain, the helicopter blades barely move. About the only thing that's even vaguely animated to modern standards is the jerk of the AC/5 by the cockpit, presumably because it is right in the player's face, and that basically has the same animation as a penis expelling a load of cum on the enemy mechs, and much the same effect.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I've been playing some Genesis RPGs for the first time. Phantasy Star 2 hates me, there's no other explanation for it.
Unless it's Phantasy Star 4, all the Phantasy Star Genesis games hate you. The difficulty curve is ludicrous and kind of beautiful in its zero-fucks-given attitude. Phantasy Star 3 is considered largely non-canon but the stuff it did (Generational gameplay) is pretty much the reason we have games like Agarest War et. al. so it's worth a play despite the backwards-ass curve. (The game is Nintendo Hard to start with, but because the two cyborgs are with every generation, it gets gradually easier with each generational iteration.)

Speaking of Phantasy Star, I've been playing Phantasy Star Online 2. My god is this game fun. The combat system is wonderfully absurd action-RPG with three-button controls that work out to having six attacks at any one time that you can freely combo together, and hell Just Attacking photon arts together are the key to success and it's just wonderful, fast-paced fun once you start hitting boss enemies. The setpieces are a bit boring, but beautiful all the same, though the setpieces for some of the Emergency Quests and boss fights are amazing and gorgeous.

It falls prey to the Asian MMO Grind Syndrome. You've gotta grind your primary class. Your secondary class. A Striker, a Tech, and a Ranged to unlock Hero. Then you gotta level that from 1. Hope you've been following a guide to place your skillpoints for maximum effectiveness, otherwise you're spending real money to buy an additional tree. Hell, to play Force, you've gotta buy 3 trees to begin with, since you can't max out every element in a single tree while staying maximally effective. (That said, you could PROBABLY get by with just a Fire-focused Force with a Dark+Light Techer sub because Fire is great for AE, and Dark and Light are good single-target stuff, though one of the crafted Light techniques is amazingly effective for AE too.) And, hell, just reaching level cap is grindy as fuck - gain 42 million exp after reaching the level 75 cap. Spend a couple million meseta on grinding up a 13* rarity weapon to +35, not to mention doing Collection Files every 2 days for 13* weapons so you can raise the grind cap to +35.

Even so, this game is amazing fun to play, and I didn't even notice the grindy nature til I started going for Hero unlock and hitting level 80.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

PSO2 is so awesome it is coming to the Switch next year!

Only for Japan though. Because Sega hates money or something and thus refuses to release the game in the west. They did translate the game to english but only for South Asia then closed it after just a few years, wonder what went wrong there.

Other things Phantasy Star did first:
-Animated enemy sprites.
-Permanently killing a key main female character..

Also I recently read an interview with the original's main character designer and she commented Alis was supposed to change depending in your decisions in the game, becoming more feminine or manly, and Lutz the bishonen esper would change in the opposite direction. Alas limited resources so it never got past the idea stage.
Last edited by maglag on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

So, Beamdog is releasing a Neverwinter Nights expanded edition, and I'm a bit baffled as to why. The IE games can coast along without graphics improvements, thanks to the scale and isometric view. This... just looks like ass.

https://www.beamdog.com/products/neverw ... ed-edition

I get that Trent Oster is trying to cash in on some of the old shit he worked on with a small team and as little work as possible, but have some fucking dignity.