The Coven of Necromancers

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

the_unthinkable
1st Level

The Coven of Necromancers

Post by the_unthinkable »

I posted this up a wizards under the same name, but haven't had much help in the way of ideas. I'm posting this here because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get better help here than over there because of what these are.
What I have here is a work in progress. I don't know how to fill out PrC's all that well but I got an inkling of what I want. Just look at it, and tell me what you think. (I know what PEACH is to some extent, but don't know if these would qualify for that.)
P.S. This probably wasn't formatted properly so bear with me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Necromancer of the Infernal Regions

(Story of the PrC.)

Prerequisites:

Hit Die: d4
BAB: (/) Saves: Fort: ; Ref: ; Will:
Skills:
Skills/Level:

Level__Special__Spells
1st +1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd +1 level of existing spellcasting class
3rd +1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th +1 level of existing spellcasting class
5th +1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th +1 level of existing spellcasting class
7th +1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th +1 level of existing spellcasting class
9th +1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th +1 level of existing spellcasting class

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Necromancer of the Infernal Regions gains no proficiency with armor or weapons.
(Class Abilities.)

Notes: This is a Necromancer PrC that is supposed to summon, control, kill then animate, fiends and attains infernal powers of fiends. (I also want to include something that makes living/already dead fiends from dissapearing, because both games I play state that the bodies of outsiders dissapear as soon as they die.)

Reaper of Silent Death

(Story of the PrC.)

Prerequisites:

Hit Die: d6
BAB: Medium (3/4) Saves: Fort: Poor; Ref: Good; Will: Good
Skills: The Reaper's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skills/Level: 8 + Intelligence Modifier

Level__Special__Spells

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Reaper of Silent Death gains no proficiency with armor or weapons.

Spellcasting: Every level, the Reaper of Silent Death casts spells (including gaining any new spell slots and spell knowledge) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he had previous to gaining that level.
(Class Abilities.)

Notes: I wanted this to have sneak attack progression, and if you guys provide awsome ideas, them too.

Reaper of the Negative Plane

(Story of the PrC.)

Prerequisites:

Hit Die:
BAB: (/) Saves: Fort: ; Ref: ; Will:
Skills:
Skills/Level:

Level__Special__Spells

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Reaper of the Negative Plane gains no proficiency with armor or weapons.

Spellcasting: Every level, the Reaper casts spells (including gaining any new spell slots and spell knowledge) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he had previous to gaining that level.
(Class Abilities.)

Notes: A Necromancer PrC that specializes with negative energy and the Negative Energy Plane. (One of the abilities this will have is a negative energy aura that deals said damage each round, and the aura gets better as you progress. This won't be the only focus though.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Re: The Coven of Necromancers

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

the_unthinkable wrote:(I also want to include something that makes living/already dead fiends from dissapearing, because both games I play state that the bodies of outsiders dissapear as soon as they die.)
Here's a thought: You create bonds made out of thinuan, an alloy which has the special property of trapping souls. Given the relationship between souls, the outer planes, and outsides, I think it's totally reasonable to have it bind together a dead outsider's corporeal form and keep it from returning to its native plane.

So for temporary use you have thinuan nails which you quickly drive through the outsider at key points. For permanently animate 'undead' outsiders you use some combination of bolts, shackles, and possible Wolverine-style skeletal replacement (I had an overly goth character based around this idea at one point).
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

The NIR, I think, could start off being able to preserve a fiend corpse provided they kill it with thinaun. And be able to animate it as a common undead, and gaining the ability to maintain more fiendish abilities when it preserves a corpse, until eventually the fiend doesn't die so much as it becomes a slave. And you have a control pool, of course.

And the Reaper of Silent Death could be just that--a silence-projecting, super stealthy hellion who sneaks up on people and scythes them down.

-Possible start off with that Scorn Earth Ability of Elocators, have it make them silent, then improve that into a fly speed.

-A Reaper's Robe ability, granting some sort of scaling armor bonus, and a bonus to Hide would be cool.

-So would being able to summon a scythe that does decent damage.
the_unthinkable
1st Level

Post by the_unthinkable »

I like the idea of using thinuan, but the problem is that there is already a class that uses it, and heavily might I add.
The ability that will keep outsiders corpses will be delt with later because I've got something that I'm going to try to use for fiend summoning. I thinking of something like the Nar Demonbinder but I'm going to try to add a different take to it take and maybe take it someplace new.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

"Another class uses it" is no excuse not to use it too.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.