New Stances for the Dungeonomicon Monk! Create your own!

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Caliborn wrote:Am I the only one who thought
K wrote: So if you want a laser eye beams, don't feel restrained by choosable Monk abilities. Make a laser eyes feat and make it choosable by any class. Call it Eyes of the Archon or Acolyte of the Burning Stare or Evoker's Blood (eyes). Let Serpent Sorcerers get Hooded Cobra Attacks and Poison Claws, and you'd be surprised by how fun your game gets.
was an important point and a good idea?
You certainly aren't, no. Might you perhaps clarify as to what you're trying to say there exactly? I believe both SunTzu and myself have been referencing that very post. What part or in what context of that quote are you trying to convey in particular?
Last edited by Dean on Sun May 25, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

deanruel87 wrote:
K wrote: So if you want a laser eye beams, don't feel restrained by choosable Monk abilities. Make a laser eyes feat and make it choosable by any class. Call it Eyes of the Archon or Acolyte of the Burning Stare or Evoker's Blood (eyes). Let Serpent Sorcerers get Hooded Cobra Attacks and Poison Claws, and you'd be surprised by how fun your game gets.
You certainly aren't, no. Might you perhaps clarify as to what you're trying to say there exactly? I believe both SunTzu and myself have been referencing that very post. What part or in what context of that quote are you trying to convey in particular?
You don't need feats like "Cheetah Kung Foo" or "Archer Monk". The monk class is already built to accommodate that sort of thing. Anybody who wants to do Cheetah Kung Foo should take a level of monk and get the Pouncing Cheetah fighting style. The Archer Monk is a monk who uses a bow and fighting styles that apply to her weapons.

On the other hand, there is no "Lazer Eye Beams Kung Foo", and players wanting Lazer Eye Beams won't be restricted to the ranks of unarmed martial artists. In this case it's perfectly reasonable to make a Lazer Eye Beams feat which anyone can take.
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

Meh, thought I had a good idea but no one likes it. I'll be back when I have another ;).
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:On the other hand, there is no "Lazer Eye Beams Kung Foo", and players wanting Lazer Eye Beams won't be restricted to the ranks of unarmed martial artists. In this case it's perfectly reasonable to make a Lazer Eye Beams feat which anyone can take.
That's fair. On the other hand I am not working on 3.75, I am merely working on expanding the Dungeonomicon Monk. As such I can sort of operate within a vaccuum to most other classes with the exception of watching out for unbalancing or overlapping abilities. And you're point is a good one, and an intelligent one, but limiting the feats I/we create to the Monk allows me/us to build things more simply. Because the moment I have to be concerned about a Wizard dipping into the stances I'm creating then I have a small host of other concerns I never had originally. As such I would, for the most part, like to continue creating specifically Monk enhancements except in the rare case when something we create could greatly benefit the game at large were we to expand it to do so.
SunTzuWarmaster wrote:Meh, thought I had a good idea but no one likes it. I'll be back when I have another ;).
Wicked wicked wrong man. I love your idea I just thought it needed some tweaking. Without your stuff I'd still be trying to pigeonhole a lot of things into Style abilities and most of them -just don't work- there. Try, just -try- using the Tactical feat idea. It's really quite broad in it's capabilities, and quite freeing to the design process.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

... the slippery slope towards classless d20.

*gleeful hand wringing*
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Believe me, the road to classless D20 is more like a vertical climb than a slippery slope, but I'm sure you know that.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Caliborn wrote:Believe me, the road to classless D20 is more like a vertical climb than a slippery slope, but I'm sure you know that.
All too well.
See my torn and bandaged fingers.
Sisyphus ain't got shit on me.

Still, I will continue to point out "leans" towards classless wherever they may arise because I'm sticking with that prediction for d20.
And someday, when Feybook is wrapped up (sheah. whenever that day comes...) I will set back to the old project and bring it here.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.