[Adventure Concept] Wine Cellar of the Trebly-Throned Despot

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

[Adventure Concept] Wine Cellar of the Trebly-Throned Despot

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

I've committed to running a game of 4e DnD for my buddies this evening. I have, maybe, an hour and a half in total to do so since I also have work between now and then. I would like your suggestions for encounters and exciting occurances that might happen. It is for first-level characters.

I have an adventure concept: they will be a band of treasure-hunters exploring the ruins of the citadel of the Trebly-Throned Despot, and they will discover in those ruins a deep well leading down in to the Despot's legendary wine cellar, where a veritable ocean of wines from far off lands and even distant planes were kept. Most of the treasure will be in the form of incredibly valuable wines.

The well once contained an elevator, but now it requires a length of rope or a daring climber to reach the bottom. If one should fall, they would plummet in to the Waste Pits where their fall will be cushioned by moldering rotting grape-slush, and dangerous vermin.

Inside the dungeon there are three general 'areas':
  • The Waste-Pits, accessible by falling down the well, are where the Despot deposited the garbage of his castle and of his wine-making processes, as well as executing prisoners. Here, one can find the treasures clutched by his executed prisoners as they were hurled to their deaths, but also the feral vermin who fester in this dark place.
  • The Drinking Halls, where the king hosted his great feasts with his favored companions, are still inhabited by the descendants of the goblin slaves who once served him. Now known as the Grapeskull Tribe, these degenerate descendants wait upon their own chieftan as they once waited upon the Despot, harvesting the hallucinatory fungus of the waste-pits and the blood of vermin (or intruders) to make a grotesque liquor.
  • The Winemaster's Tomb, where the bodies of the attendants who saw to the quality and caretaking of the wine were entombed after being pickled in their own brew. Now, these pickled dead grow restless, clutching their grave-goods in mummified fingers and bitter for the ages when their wine was still sweet.
Thoughts suggestions?