Talisman's version of the ranger

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Talisman
Duke

Talisman's version of the ranger

Post by Talisman »

I've seen a bunch of ranger variants...well, here's mine.

The Ranger
"...when dark things come from the houseless hills, or creep from sunless woods, they fly from us."
--Aragorn son of Arathorn, The Fellowship of the Ring

The ranger is a woodsman without equal. Not merely a warrior with wilderness skill, the ranger lives and breathes the wilderness. However, unlike the druid, the ranger is not necessarily concerned with living in harmony or the natural cycle. While the ranger is aware of these things, he himself is a predator. He hunts. He kills. He survives through skill, cunning, strength, agility and sheer determination.

Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

BAB: Good (1/1)
Fort: Good
Ref: Good
Will: Poor
Spells: As PHB ranger

Level - Special
1 - Bonus feat, Track, wild empathy
2 - Favored enemy, uncanny dodge, wariness
3 - Fast movement +10', woodland stride
4 - Ranger's path, sneak attack +1d6
5 - Bonus feat, improved uncanny dodge
6 - Keen senses, tactical advantage (+1)
7 - Trackless step
8 - Swift tracker, sneak attack +2d6
9 - Ranger's path ability
10 - Bonus feat
11 - Flawless stride
12 - Sneak attack +3d6, tactical advantage (+2)
13 - Camouflage
14 - Ranger's path ability
15 - Bonus feat
16 - Sneak attack +4d6
17 - Fast movement +20'
18 - Tactical advantage (+3)
19 - Ranger's path ability
20 - Bonus feat, sneak attack +5d6

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A ranger is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Bonus Feat: At 1st level a ranger grains a bonus feat. This may be any fighter bonus feat. The ranger must meet any prerequisites normally.
A ranger gains an additional bonus feat at 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th levels.

Track: At 1st level the ranger gains Track as a bonus feat. If the ranger already has Track, he gains no additional benefit.

Wild Empathy (Ex): A ranger can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like the standard PHB ranger ability, except that it adds the character's ranger level and his Wisdom bonus instead of Charisma bonus.

Favored Enemy (Ex): At 2nd level, a ranger gains enhanced combat ability against a single specific type of creature. The ranger must select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a bonus on weapon damage rolls equal to 1/2 his class level against creatures of this type, and gains a bonus on attacks, AC and saves equal to 1/4 his class level against such creatures.
The ranger may choose a new favored enemy after 8 hours of rest and 1 hour of combat training and concentration. A ranger cannot change his favored enemy more than once in a 24-hour period.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the barbarian ability.

Wariness (Ex): At 2nd level the ranger's defensive senses become so finely honed that he is always ready for an attack, and reacts without conscious thought. The ranger gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to one-half his class level, but never higher than his Wisdom modifier. In the case of multiclasses ranger/monks, this ability does not stack with a monk's unarmored AC bonus.
This ability functions only when the ranger wears light armor or no armor.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level the ranger's base land speed improves by 10'. This increases to +20' at 17th level. A ranger gains the ability only while wearing light armor or no armor.

Sneak Attack (Ex): If a ranger of 4th level or higher can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. This is as the rogue ability; the extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every four ranger levels thereafter.

Woodland Stride (Ex): As the druid abiltity.

Ranger's Path: At 4th level a ranger must select which path he follows; he gains his first path ability immediately. The paths available are detailed below. Once chosen, a ranger's path cannot be altered.

Spells: Beginning at 4th level, a ranger gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the ranger spell list. This is pretty much as the PHB ranger ability.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the barbarian ability.

Keen Senses (Ex): A 6th-level ranger's senses are finely attuned to the smallest change in his environment, and he is always watchful for danger or prey. He may take 10 on Listen and Spot checks, regardless of distractions.

Tactical Advantage (Ex): By 6th level, a ranger is adept at exploiting every advantage he can find, whener from his allies' assistance, his enemies' mistakes, or the terrain itself. Whenever the ranger gains a bonus from flanking, the aid another action, higher ground, the terrain, or a cover bonus of any sort, the bonus improves by +1. At 12th level, this improves to +2; at 18th level, +3.

Trackless Step (Ex): As the druid ability.

Swift Tracker (Ex): As the PHB ranger ability.

Ranger's Path Ability: At 9th level a ranger gains an additional special ability based on his chosen path. The ranger gains another special ability at 14th level, and a final one at 19th level.

Flawless Stride (Ex): A 10th-level ranger can stride fearlessly over the most unforgiving terrain. He can move through any sort of terrain that slows movement at full speed and without taking damage or suffering other impairment. This ability does not apply to terrain that requires a Climb or Swim check to traverse, nor to terrain that has been magically manipulated to impede movement.
This ability functions only when the ranger wears light armor or no armor.

Camouflage (Ex): A ranger of 13th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment.

Ranger Paths
A ranger's path represents his focus. Some rangers choose to empathize with the animal world; others focus on perfecting their archery, while still others attain an almost druidic level of connection with the mystical energies of the world.
When a ranger attains 4th level, he must select a ranger path; this choice cannot be altered. This determines certain special abilities the ranger gains. The ranger gains his first path ability immediately, and an additional path ability every 5 class levels (at levels 9, 14 and 19), for a total of 4 path abilities.
The various ranger paths, and their path abilities, are as follows:

Beastmaster: Beastbrother rangers feel a deep connection with the animal world. Although not usually misanthropes, they often feel more comfortable around animals than their fellow humanoids, and as a result develop a deep empathy with the beasts.
1st Ability: Animal companion: You gain an animal companion, as the druid ability. Your effective druid level is equal to your ranger level -3.
2nd Ability: Rebuke animals: You gain the supernatural ability to rebuke or command animals as an evil cleric rebukes undead. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. You can also attempt to rebuke/command vermin, as well as magical beasts with an Intelligence of 2 or less, but you take a -4 penalty on your rebuking check and rebuking damage.
3rd Ability: Maybe wild shape?
4th Ability: ?

Clawbrother: Unlike the beastmaster, clawbrother rangers emulate one specific aspect of their animal brethren: their combat ability. They disdain manufactured weapons in favor of fang and claw - or the nearest humanoid approximation. Clawbrothers are often a little crazy,
1st Ability: Unarmed strike: You gains the unarmed strike ability of a monk. Your unarmed attacks do not provoke attacks of opportunity, and deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option. Your unarmed strike damage is equal to that of a monk of your class level.
2nd Ability: Primal strike: Your unarmed strikes now bypass damage reduction as though they were magic weapons. This also allows you to strike incorporeal creatures (although you still suffer a 50% miss chance).
3rd Ability: Rend: If you strike a single opponent with at least two unarmed strikes in a single attack sequence, you deal additional damage equal to your normal unarmed strike (including Strength and magical bonuses). You can never rend more than once per round.

Duskwalker: The shadows beneath the trees - the dark of a moonless night - the quiet of a winter's evening - these are the domains of the duskwalker. Duskwalkers live and breath the wild, and as a result they move with a grace and stealth that only the wariest of wild things can match. They are adept at swift, agile movements, and are usually never seen until i's far too late.
1st Ability: Swift and silent: You no longer suffer the usual -5 penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks when you move at your full normal speed. In addition, if you attempt to be stealthy while moving at a full run, you suffer a -10 penalty instead of -20.
2nd Ability: Evasion: Your uncanny reflexes allow you to evade area attacks with ease. Whenever you are subject to an effect that allows a Reflex save for half damage, you take no damage on a successful save.
3rd Ability: Hide in plain sight: While in any sort of natural terrain, you can use the Hide skill even while being observed.
4th Ability: Supernatural stealth: So great are your skills that you can even attempt to Hide and Move Silently against creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, tremorsense, and similar extraordinary senses with no penalty.

Greenwood Archer: The archer is a skilled and deadly warrior of the wilderness, and none are more dangerous than the greenwood archer. Greenwood archers are hunters without equal, able to send slim wooden death down upon their prey from hundreds of feet away.
1st Ability: Distracting shot: As the PHB2 ranger ability "distracting attack," but only with a ranged attack.
2nd Ability: Close combat shot: You no longer provoke attacks of opportunity when making a ranged weapon attack. You lose this ability any time you would lose your Dexterity bonus to AC, such as when you are balancing.
3rd Ability: ?

Kingsman: The Kingsman is a ranger in service to another. The classic Kingsman is the King's warden, protecting the royal forests from poachers and unnatural wildlife. Other Kingsmen may be couriers, spies and agents tasked to act in the King's name. However, despite the name of this path, the ranger need not serve an actual king - although many do.
1st Ability: Aura of courage: You are immune to fear, and all allies within 10' gain a +4 morale bonus on saves vs. fear.
2nd Ability: Inspiration: You know how to coordinate your allies for maximum effect. As a standard action you can shout out tactics, granting yourself and all allies within 60' a +2 morale bonus on attacks and weapon damage rolls. This bonus persists for 5 rounds.
3rd Ability: Resolve: You are immune to all charm and colmulsion effects, and all allies within 10' of you gain a +4 morale bonus on saves vs. such effects.

Skirmisher: The skirmisher is a melee ranger, the scout who darts in to inflict a devestating blow before the enemy can react. Skirmishers are assassins and commandos, nimble warriors who leave their enemies gasping in the dust.
1st Ability: Distracting blow: As the PHB2 ability "distracting attack," but only with a melee attack.
2nd Ability: Fast movement: Your base speed increases by 10'. This stacks with the fast movement ability all rangers gain at levels 3 and 17.
3rd Ability: Wall Runner: You can move on vertical surfaces without needing to make Climb checks.You must begin and end your movement on a horizontal surface or fall, and you cannot tumble while moving vertically. Each square of vertical surface covered costs you two squares of movement.

Steel Tempest: The steel tempest - or, occasionally, the oak tempest - is the master of dual weapons: axes, knives, short swords, or the quarterstaff. Emulating the fighting styles of beasts such as bears and cats, the steel tempest wields his twin weapons like natural claws.
1st Ability: Bladeshield: You are adept at defending yourself with your twin weapons. Any time you make a full attack with two weapons, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC. This bonus stacks with the bonus from the Two-Weapon Defense feat.
2nd Ability: Ambidexterity: Your two-weapon fighting penalties are reduced by 1 point. This means that if you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat and are using a one-handed and a light weapon, or two light weapons, your penalties are -1/-1 instead of -2/-2.
3rd Ability: ?

Woodland Mystic: Although the ranger is primarily a warrior, all rangers learn certain mystical abilities. The woodland mystic takes this a step farther, exhibiting an almost druidilike abilioty to manipulate the green energies.
1st Ability: Improved spellcasting: Your caster level is equal to your ranger level, not half your ranger level (as is usually the case).
2nd Ability: Druidic affinity (Su): You gain the ability to use spell completion and spell trigger items based on druid spells, as if you had all druid spells on your spell list. You do not gain any actual druid spells on your spell list.
3rd Ability: Woodland mysteries: You gain access to 5th level ranger spells (see below). You have a single 5th-level spell slot, plus bonus spells based on Wisdom. At 17th level you gain another 5th-level spell slot, and at 20th level you gain a third.
4th Ability: Swift caster (Ex): You can spontaneously Quicken a number of spells per day equal to your Wisdom modifier. You do not need to have the Quicken Spell feat, or to make the decision when you prepare spells for the day.

Not quite completed, but there it is. I'm working on the high-end abilities for the various Ranger's Paths (suggestions welcome).

I've rearranged spells a bit, but I didn't post 'em because I can't seem to make a table work on this forum.

I'm also putting this guy through the Same Game Test...will post results when I've got 'em. BTW, this is not intended to be a Tome-esque class...just something better than the current ranger.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I can't give much complete criticism, so this post may be quite frustrating to you. I really think the class lacks focus, though. I'm never sure exactly what it's trying to do. Sneak attack every 4 levels isn't helping here, and it's way too little and far between anyway.

The Claw Brother path is totally useless.

Skirmisher ability 3 is useless. By the time you get it, you're flying.

What I think you have failed to do here is take a good hard look at the level the player is getting these abilities at, what that means, and what they're going to need to compete with. Also I'm not really getting the point of the class (again the lack of focus).
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

The sneak attack is to avoid stepping on the rogue's toes. My idea is that the ranger will be doing better base damage that a rogue, and hitting more often, thus needing less of a boost.

Point taken about the wall-walker thing. I'll think of something better.

What can be done to make Clawbrother useful?

Gotta run. More later.
MartinHarper wrote:Babies are difficult to acquire in comparison to other sources of nutrition.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

It's really difficult to hit more often than a Rogue. You might have higher BAB, but all his attacks are touch attacks while your attacks are not.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Not all rogues are halfling hurlers. In fact, I've yet to meet one.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

It seems most of the power comes from these Ranger Paths, but even that is lacking.
You should up the output of each Path ability even though Rangers get all the other stuff on top; it seems these Paths are meant to be the main attraction, and as result the other abilities seem minor in comparison.

Although maybe it's just the missing high-end abilities, as you have stated are still in progress, that would make it work better.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

If you aren't going to balance to the point where a rogue is decent, I'm not sure I can help you.
Talisman
Duke

Post by Talisman »

Surgo wrote:If you aren't going to balance to the point where a rogue is decent, I'm not sure I can help you.
Then I thank you for what you've offered. I dont agree that the halfling huirler is the only decent rogue build, but I'm not going to argue the point just now.

Sig: Good point; I think I do need to up the power of the paths (and get the high-end abilities done!).