[Feat] Omnicompetence

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

[Feat] Omnicompetence

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Omnicompetence
You're a man of many talents. Seriously. A lot of talents.
Prerequisites: Level 3
Benefit: For the purposes of calculating the modifier to skill checks, but not for the purposes of determining prerequisites for feats, classes, or other abilities, you have a minimum of (Level - 2) ranks in every skill, which also implies that you are trained in all skills. If you have actual ranks less than or equal to your minimum, they have no benefit except to allow prerequisites, so you may wish to rearrange your ranks a bit.
Last edited by RiotGearEpsilon on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Doesn't make a big deal at level 3, but it does scale, and the benefits do give results.

I'd suggest allowing the character with this to be able to shuffle their skills every time they level up or "undergo appropriate training" in a skill that they want to improve themselves in.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

i'd suggest adding the line "YOu are considered to be trained in all skills."
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Actually, someone fill me in: what's the Gaming Den 'canon' with regard to skills, trained skills, cross class skills, and so on?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Haven't you read the Tomes yet? If you did and just missed that: cross-class skills cost the same but do have a lower cap. Trained skill stuff mostly stays in place, but I'd also read Iaimeki's material on skill in the Tome .pdf appendix.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

I have read the Tomes, I just missed that bit. Thanks, Bigode.

Hmm. Maybe I need to re-think this feat in light of that baseline.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Given the name of the feat...How about giving a floating (swift action to change) competence bonus to skills? You'll get your level as a bonus to any one skill at a time, but it won't stack with magic items. Seems balanced to me, if a little on the weak side.

That way you don't run into strange special cases where 'I have the ranks, but I don't have the ranks'.

Another option would be to give a competence bonus to every skill, which would actually be a lot more powerful. It might even be a must-have feat for a lot of characters.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Interesting prospect. I'll have to ponder it.
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Omnicompetence
You're a man of many talents. Seriously. A lot of talents.
Prerequisites: Level 3
Benefit: You can give yourself a competence bonus equal to (Level - 2) to a single skill of your choices that lasts for one round as a swift action.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Here's one idea, you get a Competence Bonus to one skill.

(Calculating//Wise//Forceful) use of your talents

Benefit: Choose a mental ability score that you have a positive modifier in. It affects the powers that this feat gives and cannot be changed unless your character has an option to change parts of their skill training, class choices, feat or spell selection. Even so, once chosen, this cannot be changed without GM approval.

1 HD: You may use your Chosen mental ability in place of one of your ability Saving Throw Modifiers, once chosen, this cannot be changed without GM approval.

2 HD: You gain a competence bonus equal to your level +1 in any skill that you don't have ranks in. If you do have ranks, you gain a bonus equal to 1/2 your level +1/2 your Chosen Mental ability modifier (rounded up). Shifting your bonus takes a swift action.

5 HD: You can have the above listed competence bonus to 1 skill per 2 HD. You can still shift your bonus, but only a number of skills equal to your chosen Mental Ability score modifier.

10 HD: You count as having 1/2 of your the bonus to skills that this feat gives as 'ranks' when qualifying for a PrC or other benefit.

15 HD:
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.