The Ends v4.01

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I wasn't certain how to interpret the EotM sensor package changes, as you were saying they could get cyber eyes for the capacity to hold the visual sensors and the headware sensors and such need to be in cyberlimbs; and assumptions were made and hence the reason for me asking the question to figure it out.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

so, basically, you are . . what . .
replacing a metal shell with another metal shell in a different shape?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I. Don't. Know. This is why I'm asking here. This is what I have to go off of:
Glitch wants her attack drone to see as well as she does, which means that it should be capable of seeing at a metahuman level in both normal and infrared spectra. The doberman itself only costs 3000¥. The thermographic vision and smartlink that she wants will take up only 3 capacity and thus will fit in a Rating 1 eye system. The total package would cost 2500¥ in a metahuman skull, but in this case it's built for a drone that has a lot less squishy bits. Sensor packages for a medium drone cost half human cyberware price, so the sensor package is just 1250¥. Together with the drone, Glitch is out 4250¥ and has a drone that can send her visual inputs just as good as her own.
Sensors are being jammed into a drone based on the capacity of a cybereye, making it logical to assume cyberear-based sensors are under a similar situation. How do you resolve the headware sensors that don't go in cybernetic eyes and ears, such as olfactory boosters and MAD scanners? Are they shoved into a cyberlimb package, with cost modified by size? Is the capacity for them ignored? Are sensors beyond eyes and ears forbidden by decree of Congress? Do they fall under the old rules, where a medium drone has a capacity of 5 or 8 for sensors?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

ah, i see where the problem lies now . .
sadly, i have neither an answer nor a solution to that.
*points at frank*
your best bet would be the guy who basically wrote the rules on cyberlimbs.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Oh I... should have looked at that list more closely. Sorry.

Yeah, so, basically cyber-eye and cyber-ear mods are applying mods to an existing sensor that you purchased (the base cybereye or cyberear). Whereas, those other sensors are just sensors that you're strapping on.

Probably you should apply the cybernetic size modifier to the sensor's cost and add it to the cost of the drone, but don't worry so much about capacity limits, since the size categories are a little fuzzy in the first place, and part of what you're paying money for is for mountings and balance and all that. As long as the sensor can reasonably be attached to the drone, it should be okay-ish.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You don't have to get cybereyes for your drones. The eyeball capacity discussion was just to demonstrate the lack of effective size limits for a man sized drone. You just buy the augmentations you want, and halve the cost when dealing with a large or medium sized drone.

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

on the other hand, it would be a good way to freak people out . .
make the cyber-eyes look like real ones ripped from their sockets ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

For the purposes of High Density Signal, do you just have to be able to see the target, or do there have to be no solid objects between you and the target?

Can High Density Signal be transmitted through a cable?
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

HDS can be sent through a cable, allowing you to draw LOS along the cable, similar to how a mage can draw LOS along a telescopic tube to look around corners and stuff.

As to how strict the LOS requirements are... I'd say "you can draw it through glass, and through partial cover, but not through full cover"
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

HDS can be sent through solid, opaque objects. There are specific rules for how far it goes through the earth (including mountains), and there are ways to block Signal via Wi-Fi blocking paint and Faraday cages. Beyond that, it seems to just go through anything you care to mention (presumably metal walls count as part of a Faraday cage, but that doesn't matter unless the windows and doors are closed and also have Faraday shielding).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Another question: since drones have commlinks integrated into them, can they be used as directional retransmitters?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

don't see why not.
worst case, you fit them with a second comlink and use it that way.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Quantumboost wrote:HDS can be sent through solid, opaque objects. There are specific rules for how far it goes through the earth (including mountains), and there are ways to block Signal via Wi-Fi blocking paint and Faraday cages. Beyond that, it seems to just go through anything you care to mention (presumably metal walls count as part of a Faraday cage, but that doesn't matter unless the windows and doors are closed and also have Faraday shielding).
"goes through objects" and "draws line of sight through objects" aren't the same thing though. Otherwise there'd be no point in some programs having a range of S and some having a range of S (LOS).
Another question: since drones have commlinks integrated into them, can they be used as directional retransmitters?
You pay for it separately, but yeah you can bolt it onto the outside and use your drone as a mobile directional re-transmitter.

Also Note: a Drone's Network stats aren't actually Generic like a commlink's are. When added to a network, the drone can't improve the network like a commlink can.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Sorry about the questions, but one of my players is new to these rules and planning on playing a hacker. Which programs can you remain stealthed while using, and which ones count as going in guns blazing? That is to say, if I use Taxman on a commlink, presumably I can make a matrix stealth check to have them not realize I'm nabbing their data. Conversely, if I'm blackhammering them, that's going tob e impossible. Where does one draw the line?
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

We played it that any program that has obvious effects to someone that isn't matrix stealthed, or an attack program, will ruin your matrix stealth.

So you can't Crash or Black Hammer, but you also can't Ostraka. You CAN Jedi Trick or Taxman, or Backdoor.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Yeah, I'm basically going through and doing a bunch of ad-hoc rulings based on rough guesses, but metaphorical divine illumination would be nice.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Lokathor wrote:"goes through objects" and "draws line of sight through objects" aren't the same thing though. Otherwise there'd be no point in some programs having a range of S and some having a range of S (LOS).
Of course these are different. High Density Signal != LOS. I was asserting that High Density Signal can go through solid objects. Which is true, you can use an S program through a wall, even a metal wall (so long as it doesn't have crazy metamaterial paint and there are large enough holes in the building itself).
Last edited by Quantumboost on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

So I'm looking at The Ends of the Matrix again and searched for the cheat sheat table I made.
And am pretty shure, I made an mistake at Jumped In Driving, which sould be Int + Pilot Skill + Handling.
Korwin wrote:So, I am confused. Maybe I'm overthinking it...
In my (german) SR4.01A on page 287 is a table named "Common Rigger checks" (Häufige Rigger-/Drohnenproben)

I tried to order Frank's Rigging Dice Pools into it.
FrankTrollman wrote: Rigging Dice Pools
Jumped in Perception Intuition + Perception
Windowed Perception Intuition + Perception – 2
Independent Drone Initiative: Sensors + Response
Sensor Monitoring Intuition + Electronic Warfare + Sensors
Unmonitored Sensors Sensors + ClearsightAutosoft
Remote Weapon Firing Logic + Gunnery
Drone Self Firing Pilot + Targeting Autosoft
Drone Targeting Pilot + Clearsight Autosoft
Remote Drone Piloting: Reaction + Pilot Skill + Handling
Drone Self Piloting: Pilot + Maneuver Autosoft + Handling
ActionJumped InDrone without RiggerRemote Controlled
Initiativeas RiggerSensors + Responseas Rigger
AttackLogic + GunneryPilot + AutotargetingPilot + Clearsight?
Melee DefenseInt. + Melee SkillPilot + Defense SoftwareInt. + Melee Skill
Raged DefenseInt.PilotInt.
Full DefenseInt. + DodgePilot + Defense SoftwarePilot + Dodge
Damage Resist.no changeno changeno change
InfiltrationInt. + InfiltrationPilot + Infiltration SoftwareInt. + Inf.
DrivingReaction + Pilot Skill + HandlingPilot + Maneuver Autosoft + HandlingReaction + Pilot Skill + Handling
PerceptionInt. + PerceptionSensors + Response(Windowed Perception:) Int. + Perception -2
Sensor MonitoringInt. Electronic Warface + SensorsSensors + Clearsight AutosoftInt + Electronic Warface + Sensors

I'm pretty shure I got the Attack row wrong.
Remote Weapon Firing Logic + Gunnery
Drone Self Firing Pilot + Targeting Autosoft
Drone Targeting Pilot + Clearsight Autosoft
Whats the difference between Remote Weapon Firing and Drone Targeting?

Edit:
Another question: Is there an Programm-Limit on Net hits, while Jumped-In or Remote controlling?
Updated table below
(including the post from Quantumboost, with his clarifications)
Quantumboost wrote:@Remote Weapon Firing: I'm pretty sure that Remote Weapon Firing is if you personally are jumped in and targeting/firing the weapon through the VR interface; Logic is the Agility-corresponding mental attribute for jumping in, and Gunnery is the "shoot vehicle weapons" skill. So you roll Logic + Gunnery instead of Agility + [whatthefuckever your weapon otherwise uses].

I think Drone Targeting is the equivalent of the "Identify Targets" action under Matrix Actions. It isn't necessary if you give it an actual order to "shoot person X", and there is no equivalent for being jumped in because you're sapient and know who you want to shoot guns at. Drone Self Firing would then be the equivalent of actually firing the weapon for both "without Rigger" and "Remote Controlled". Remote Weapon Firing, but using the Programs on the drone rather than attributes/skills.

@Program Limits: While Jumped In you aren't using any programs, so there are no program limits on net hits - everything in that column uses your personal skills and either your attributes or your attributes + Sensors (which is a Drone attribute, not a program). I suspect the drone will be hitcapped by its Autosofts, which are in turn capped in Rating by its Pilot attribute. That won't apply to any action that doesn't use an Autosoft.
Rigging Pools

ActionJumped In*Drone without RiggerRemote Controlled
InitiativeRigger Matrix IniSensors + ResponseRigger Matrix Ini (Hot or Cold)
Targeting-Pilot + Clearsight-
AttackLogic + GunneryPilot + AutotargetingPilot + Targeting Autosoft
Melee DefenseInt. + Melee SkillPilot + Defense SoftwareInt. + Melee Skill
Raged DefenseInt.PilotInt.
Full DefenseInt. + DodgePilot + Defense SoftwarePilot + Dodge
Damage Resist.no changeno changeno change
InfiltrationInt. + InfiltrationPilot + Infiltration SoftwareInt. + Inf.
DrivingIntuition + Pilot Skill + HandlingPilot + Maneuver Autosoft + HandlingReaction + Pilot Skill + Handling
PerceptionInt. + PerceptionSensors + Response(Windowed Perception:) Int. + Perception -2
Sensor MonitoringInt. Electronic Warface + SensorsSensors + Clearsight AutosoftInt + Electronic Warface + Sensors

*Bonus dice possible from special equipment and Hot-Sim Mode.

Are there other mistakes I made?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

FrankTrollman wrote: Threading
A technomancer can hack on the fly, but if she wishes to use Resonance Forms, she uses an Intuition + Compiling test rather than Software as her test to do so. This is called threading. Decompiling and Registering forms cannot be threaded.
Should be Resonance + Compiling, right?
FrankTrollman wrote:Hack on the Fly / Threading
The rating of a program limits the number of hits a
character can achieve on the test to activate it. A
technomancer's Cfs are normally of a Rating equal to their
Resonance, while a Hacker's programming is of whatever
rating they happen to have a copy of. By spending a
number of consecutive free actions to augment and optimize
the code, the character can make the program operate as if
its rating were increased by the number of hits the hacker
gets on a Logic + Software test or the number of free actions
spent on the attempt whichever is less. A character whose
network does not have access to a Program can still attempt
to use that Program by enhancing it from negative one.
These emulated programs cut an astounding amount of
corners and are only good for one use. Grounded as they are
in the specific time and place they were formatted in, they
will usually not even compile if copied down and run
outside their original context. Multiple hacking on the fly
attempts are not cumulative, and using a program hacked up
from nothing imposes a -2 penalty to the dicepools while
using it. A program cannot have its rating increased beyond
the network's System rating in this fashion.
Technomancers can do the same thing, though they
use their Intuition + Compiling skill rather than their
Software skill. Decompiling and Registering forms cannot be
threaded or hacked on the fly under any circumstances.
Either you know them or you do not.
Same question here.
And how high is the rating ot the improvised software?
Last edited by Korwin on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Alright, I like Frank's rules on Recoil he made in a older batch of houserules. It seems to work and reward strong users, however it doesn't seem to allow Drones to wield automatic weapons without falling over. This is speaking of the biggest kind (Body 4), is there some ability to increase body that I'm missing in Arsenal, or the houserules?

Otherwise, looks like a decent fix is to make it armor instead, or add Body twice.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

If you can control your body's ability to move with EM waves in the Matrix, and your entire sensory capability, can Pain Regulators just be an app on your commlink?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

virgil wrote:If you can control your body's ability to move with EM waves in the Matrix, and your entire sensory capability, can Pain Regulators just be an app on your commlink?
Structurally, I don't know why you couldn't make a Pain Editor piece of software. Considering how minor wound penalties are in SR4 compared to what they were like in SR1-3, it probably wouldn't be a huge deal.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

For the contract laborers in the near-barrens, what is the culture with regards to the Matrix like there? Do even the street corner child prostitutes of Chicago have datajacks or trode bracelets? Are meat-space casinos inherently dirty places, akin to underground fighting rings, because all of the real money happens in Matrix-only venues?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Am I to understand that Pilot is not capped by the OS's System, or am I highly mistaken?
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I don't see any reason to think that Pilot isn't capped by System just like the rest of the programs are.